PopCultArt

General art-related discussion.
PopCultArt
Art Enthusiast

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:45 pm

letstalkprints wrote:I may be biased because I'm a huge Chaplin fan but that gorgeous. I own and really like Burton's Circus, def two diff styles, but this one really appeals to me more. As mentioned on another thread a Modern TImes print is in the works, but someone needs to do a print of my favorite, City LIghts! IMO Chaplin's best.
Thanks for your kind words on the work :)
We have honestly been spoilt for choice with so many amazing Chaplin films so we let the artist pick their favourite film to work on. City lights is amazing for sure, noted for the future 8)
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:47 pm

Well if that is noted please note that I haven't seen a print for A Dog's Life :D And if the works are anything like The Circus here def wouldn't mind doubling up from my Nautilus prints of The Kid and Gold Rush. Limelight is one of Chaplin's most underappreciated works IMO which I think would make a great print and throw ole Buster in there.
I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Oh, and not to mention (as I mention) Modern Times, my 2nd fav Chaplin. Haven't seen Taylor's and don't know when but once again ^^^^^^^^
PopCultArt
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:24 am

Hey all,
Next up, we have a triptych inspired by Back to the Future by Rico Jr.
These go up today, 8PM GMT - Details: https://popcultart.com/blogs/news/back- ... by-rico-jr

Cheers
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:09 am

digging the style of these, not your avg bttf prints, keep em comin
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:23 am

takin a second look do you have to put your logo on there? makes it look more like a commercial poster (in the strict definition of the term when speaking of posters) than a print, just sayin
HazelBrownlee

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:35 am

i like it thanks
HazelBrownlee

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:11 am

looks great
PopCultArt
Art Enthusiast

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Hey guys,

Our next official Chaplin print is for The Great Dictator by Bruce Emmett and will be released tomorrow (Friday 6th April) at 7PM BST.

Detail here: https://popcultart.com/blogs/news/the-g ... uce-emmett

Cheers
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:19 pm

It's nice, but it feels a little weird to me that the globe is showing mostly the Atlantic Ocean. Why not Europe front and center? Did that not work for some reason?
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:05 pm

def like the black and white vs color, no chapin combo for circus and the dictator variant?
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Germany occupied not only Europe but also parts of Africa...and then you can buy into the Argentina Nazi conspiracy theory if you want, but regardless, Hitler ultimately wanted control of the world. That's just speaking history as I revert and state that I am not sure focus of the globe not purely being on Europe is an issue in speaking to the print. If you are a fan of Chaplin or the film then it doesn't matter two bits (IMO). But for me, even though it is a satirical film, it's hard to put any Great Dictator poster or print on the wall knowing that you will have guests who do not know the film in it's satirical and scathing nature to the subject matter.
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 pm

letstalkprints wrote:Germany occupied not only Europe but also parts of Africa...and then you can buy into the Argentina Nazi conspiracy theory if you want, but regardless, Hitler ultimately wanted control of the world. That's just speaking history as I revert and state that I am not sure focus of the globe not purely being on Europe is an issue in speaking to the print. If you are a fan of Chaplin or the film then it doesn't matter two bits (IMO). But for me, even though it is a satirical film, it's hard to put any Great Dictator poster or print on the wall knowing that you will have guests who do not know the film in it's satirical and scathing nature to the subject matter.
Yes, I know the history. :) I just think with this print's composition, there's not much in the background, so the only images are Chaplin and the globe. And the globe is showing mostly a blank ocean, where I think showing more country outlines would be a better focal point. It's subjective, though. :)

As I look at it again, I'm also feeling like the credits block looks too much like a normal modern font rather than something better suited to the period.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:46 pm

Based upon the focal point I don't think that any additional or variant background is needed IMO (what is the value added there in terms of representing the film?). I also think that the colors in the standard print in terms of the globe and the varied countries is actually distracting and unnecessary, hence my leaning to the black and white. I feel you on the bottom font but with an inexpensive print like this it just gets into nitpicking.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:47 pm

What should bug one more than the bottom font is the shadow from Chaplin's head. <><><><>