AOTY 2017

General art-related discussion.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Welcome visitor shoulda won if we're talking shep prints.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
applehead
Art Expert

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:38 pm

2 of my 3 picks. Great year overall for a lot of quality prints. Congrats all!!!
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm

treweman wrote:I was disappointed that Shep won art print. The print may have made a few flippers happy, but it was pretty forgettable for me. Sadly, I agree with alittle that the art prints (but only art prints), as a whole, were disappointing.
I'm gonna have to disagree. I think it's deserving, if anything, for the impact it had on the cultural landscape at the time it came out. It was all over the place around the time of last year's women's march. Practically every news image covering the various marches showed tons of people with printed out versions of it. People were dressing up like it, etc. It's pretty impressive to have an art print gain such cultural relevance. Even if you don't like the art for arts sake, you have to admit it was incredibly relevant, which is usually Shep's primary aim, and a form of art itself.
So it goes...
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:49 pm

treweman wrote:I was disappointed that Shep won art print. The print may have made a few flippers happy, but it was pretty forgettable for me. Sadly, I agree with alittle that the art prints (but only art prints), as a whole, were disappointing.
Disappointed as well
dodgers77
Art Expert

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:09 pm

mfaith wrote:
I'm gonna have to disagree. I think it's deserving, if anything, for the impact it has on the cultural landscape at the time it came out. It was all over the place around the time of last year's women's march. Practically every news image covering the various marches showed tons of people with printed out versions of it. People were dressing up like it, etc. It's pretty impressive to have an art print gain such cultural relevance. Even if you don't like the art for arts sake, you have to admit it was incredibly relevant, which is usually Shep's primary aim, and a form of art itself.
Well said, I kinda agree on that point :clap:
applehead
Art Expert

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Is there a link for how other arts placed from the lists?
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm

applehead wrote:Is there a link for how other arts placed from the lists?
Cinema: http://expressobeans.com/public/aoy.php?id=38
Gig Poster: http://expressobeans.com/public/aoy.php?id=36
Art Print: http://expressobeans.com/public/aoy.php?id=37
So it goes...
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:02 pm

mfaith wrote:
I'm gonna have to disagree. I think it's deserving, if anything, for the impact it had on the cultural landscape at the time it came out. It was all over the place around the time of last year's women's march. Practically every news image covering the various marches showed tons of people with printed out versions of it. People were dressing up like it, etc. It's pretty impressive to have an art print gain such cultural relevance. Even if you don't like the art for arts sake, you have to admit it was incredibly relevant, which is usually Shep's primary aim, and a form of art itself.
I agree that it had an impact, but I voted for art of the year, not for how well known or popular it might have been. By that standard, we might claim that Thomas Kinkade or Margaret Keane should be voted artist of the century in the U.S. This is not to say that Shep is an unworthy artist, but rather to argue that this print is, to quote RottenAtom, “extra bland.”
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:28 am

Hmmmm. I wouldn't say I'm happy with any of those.
treweman wrote:
mfaith wrote:
I agree that it had an impact, but I voted for art of the year, not for how well known or popular it might have been. By that standard, we might claim that Thomas Kinkade or Margaret Keane should be voted artist of the century in the U.S. This is not to say that Shep is an unworthy artist, but rather to argue that this print is, to quote RottenAtom, “extra bland.”
Two good points here, though.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
bert
Art Expert

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:14 am

mfaith wrote:
Agree, when the art transcends beyond just the image, that’s something special. It’s not about populism or an ‘extra bland’ image, this piece became a very relevant political symbol that resonated with many, giving it genuine importance. I’m not a Fairey collector and don’t own any of the 3 prints from the series, but I do really respect them.
Count
Art Expert

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:46 am

mfaith wrote:
I voted for the Shep as well for the same reason. In years to come, when we look back at 2017, this will be the print that will resonate and earn its place in history. To me, that is what makes it poster of the year.