New York art and gallery advice

General art-related discussion.
TheOrigin
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Hello,

I'm heading to NYC in July and staying in East Village on 7th.

Can anyone (or any locals?!) please give me a heads up on the following:

- Best street art spots to visit

- Best urban / contemporary art galleries to visit

- Exact locations of any good mural to check out

- Also (a bit off topic but) any good bars/cafes in East Village area

Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers!
glassonfire
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

There are alot of good murals always going up in brooklyn in the williamsburg/bushwick areas.

there is a daleast mural on the right side of the street walking east down 8th that I ran into recently, as well as some other small pieces in that neighborhood by other artists

In the west village there is a bar called empellon taqueria. Its a slightly upscale spanish/mexican place. Last year they flew Jeff soto in from cali and had him do a huge piece all the way from the front of the restaurant bar area wrapping around and going down the wall in the back. Its a great piece, and they make some amazing margaritas (albeit nyc pricing) different that what youl typically have elsewhere in ingredients and taste.

I havent done any of them yet but there are actually constantly street art walking tours in the bushwick/williamsburg area of nyc.

I plan on doing a bunch of street art hunting with my girlfriend this summer, so if youd like we can exchange info and if I make it out to do some wandering before your here il give you some spots you can check out.

Theres also a restaurant in the city called vandal. Its a hot restaurant/bar that is apparently filled with street art. Hush, shep fairey, tristan eaton, eelus, etc. http://www.vandalnewyork.com/

If you go all the way downtown towards the wall street/wtc area there is a small gallery right near where I work. They have a selection of like 15-20 pieces on display. Ive seen some great pieces by artists like hush, as well as had my eyes opened. Its called wtc gallery.

As far as other galleries, I havent really gone as far down that road on the street art side, but Jonathan levine gallery has some stuff bordering it depending on the show, as well as the gallery they just opened a short path train (30 mins, $2.75) over to jersey city.

For other style galleries you have spoke nyc which is pretty much walking distance from east village, bottleneck in brooklyn, and a bunch of small galleries tossed up around the city.

- Also (a bit off topic but) any good bars/cafes in East Village area

Any help very much appreciated.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:16 am

I stopped at this place
http://www.taglialatellagalleries.com

When i was in town for the shep show at jacob lewis a couple years ago. Lots of mbw, banksy, think some hirst, haring etc

Pace prints is in the same building as jacob lewis and had a bunch of shep stuff but not sure if that was just there during the show

I am sure o4phish20o knows all the best spots. Surprised he hasnt given any advice
TheOrigin
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 02, 2017 2:22 am

Thanks for the great posts guys :pint:

And Glassisonfire - let's definitely exhange street art locations :clap:
Count
Art Expert

Tue May 02, 2017 11:28 am

I'll be in NYC in June. Planning to spend some time in Brooklyn and checking out some of the galleries and street art in the Dumbo area.