Why are Picture Frames and Matting Boards so Expensive!?!?!

General art-related discussion.

Postby Codeblue on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Baker wrote:Fixed

fredo wrote:Sounds like you are a poor.
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 45640
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby treweman on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Chris217h wrote:Even for the cheapest materials it's $200+ to frame anything of decent size.

Not really.

This. I traditionally pay $200-$300 to have poster sized prints framed, but that price includes all materials (and I generally request double matting, high end custom frames, and conservation glass), and the price includes framing by a professional who takes great pride in his work. I don't resent a penny of it and consider it money well spent.

While I dislike codeblue's use of "poor," you are apparently a cheap bastard, and a complainer. So make your own damn frames. The Florida Highwaymen did this, and sold thousands of paintings with simple frames made from the kind of moulding found at house construction sites. If you don't know the 26 artists who make up the Florida Highwaymen, look it up, but they are highly collectible, and paintings with original (but cheap) frames are worth more than those with more expensive, fancy frames. Follow their lead, and shut the hell up. Daddy doesn't like whiners.
User avatar
treweman
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:53 pm
Location: upstate new york

Postby mr_rugby on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:14 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Baker wrote:Fixed

fredo wrote:Sounds like you have velcro straps on your shoes.
User avatar
mr_rugby
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5965
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 12:00 am

Postby zeero on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 pm

Chris217h wrote:
Nah, I'll just buy extras and sell them. I'm not going to spend my money on overpriced stuff out of principle, but the people who spend 10-20 times what I payed for the print can.


Unlike everyone else, I gave you a proper analysis of why these things aren't cheap, but you just keep insisting they are overpriced. Do you go around complaining about world hunger too?
zeero
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:39 am

Postby ONEYE on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Framers, producers of mats, fillets, liners, and frames all want a piece of the action. They saw the boom in the print market, saw the prices that some of the flippers were getting, and have been raising prices ever since. Once this collectible genre's bubble bursts, and prices for a majority of prints being sold, re-sold, drops (like they have for action figures, comic books, sports & non-sports cards, thing will return to semi-normal. Now, there will always be certain prints that will command premium prices. However, it's bound to fall. When people start framing less and less, there will be a price drop. Till then, stop framing, wait it out. No rule says you have to frame.
User avatar
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:37 am
Location: Gastonia, NC 28056 USA

Postby mattkardish on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:31 pm

needs more exclamation points and question marks
User avatar
mattkardish
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Paddy's Pub

Postby fredo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Lotta framers moving to Malibu lately I heard.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 21915
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE
it is imperative to expedite matters to my satisfaction

Postby earlgreytoast on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Chris217h wrote:I guess all of you art fans think the matting should be more expensive than the actual art itself. Guess I'll just buy extra limited edition prints and sell them for jacked up prices and get the frame for free lol


Now you're on to something.


And don't think of it as a print and a frame job. Think of it as a completed work of art that you will be able to hang and appreciate in your home for years, and when done properly, decades to come.
User avatar
earlgreytoast
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6812
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:14 pm
Codeblue wrote:This thread is boring. I'm going to go jerk off.


http://artsy.bigcartel.com/

Postby sidewaysscott on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:40 pm

sweet thread bro.
User avatar
sidewaysscott
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 21562
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:22 am
Location: denver
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.

Postby dodgers77 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:07 am

earlgreytoast wrote:
Chris217h wrote:I guess all of you art fans think the matting should be more expensive than the actual art itself. Guess I'll just buy extra limited edition prints and sell them for jacked up prices and get the frame for free lol


Now you're on to something.


And don't think of it as a print and a frame job. Think of it as a completed work of art that you will be able to hang and appreciate in your home for years, and when done properly, decades to come.



:lol:
User avatar
dodgers77
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:32 am

Postby CS1987 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:52 am

Is there much difference in quality with UV plexi compared to Masterpiece glass at Michaels? I've framed a few posters with the Masterpiece glass, but I also haven't been using mattes, in order to cut down on the costs. So if the print is 24x36, so is the frame. Does anyone else do this? I wish it didn't cost so much to get a large size frame, and piece of glass.
CS1987
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:11 am
Location: Texas

Postby 666ways2love on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:26 am

CS1987 wrote:Is there much difference in quality with UV plexi compared to Masterpiece glass at Michaels? I've framed a few posters with the Masterpiece glass, but I also haven't been using mattes, in order to cut down on the costs. So if the print is 24x36, so is the frame. Does anyone else do this? I wish it didn't cost so much to get a large size frame, and piece of glass.


Quality wise, you really can't tell the difference between MPG and MPA. If there is, it's splitting hairs.

On larger framed work, it's ideal to go MPA because the weight of the glass. Also, if god forbid, the print falls falls off the wall, glass will shatter and shards can damage the print. MPA breaks like a car window, so it stays together.
User avatar
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Postby fitz on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:30 am

ONEYE wrote:Framers, producers of mats, fillets, liners, and frames all want a piece of the action. They saw the boom in the print market, saw the prices that some of the flippers were getting, and have been raising prices ever since. Once this collectible genre's bubble bursts, and prices for a majority of prints being sold, re-sold, drops (like they have for action figures, comic books, sports & non-sports cards, thing will return to semi-normal. Now, there will always be certain prints that will command premium prices. However, it's bound to fall. When people start framing less and less, there will be a price drop. Till then, stop framing, wait it out. No rule says you have to frame.


key comics have never sold for more than they do nowadays
User avatar
fitz
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6874
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 am

Postby CS1987 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:54 am

666ways2love wrote:
CS1987 wrote:Is there much difference in quality with UV plexi compared to Masterpiece glass at Michaels? I've framed a few posters with the Masterpiece glass, but I also haven't been using mattes, in order to cut down on the costs. So if the print is 24x36, so is the frame. Does anyone else do this? I wish it didn't cost so much to get a large size frame, and piece of glass.


Quality wise, you really can't tell the difference between MPG and MPA. If there is, it's splitting hairs.

On larger framed work, it's ideal to go MPA because the weight of the glass. Also, if god forbid, the print falls falls off the wall, glass will shatter and shards can damage the print. MPA breaks like a car window, so it stays together.


I appreciate the info. Any good spots to order UV plexi?
CS1987
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:11 am
Location: Texas

Postby CS1987 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:58 am

CS1987 wrote:
666ways2love wrote:
CS1987 wrote:Is there much difference in quality with UV plexi compared to Masterpiece glass at Michaels? I've framed a few posters with the Masterpiece glass, but I also haven't been using mattes, in order to cut down on the costs. So if the print is 24x36, so is the frame. Does anyone else do this? I wish it didn't cost so much to get a large size frame, and piece of glass.


Quality wise, you really can't tell the difference between MPG and MPA. If there is, it's splitting hairs.

On larger framed work, it's ideal to go MPA because the weight of the glass. Also, if god forbid, the print falls falls off the wall, glass will shatter and shards can damage the print. MPA breaks like a car window, so it stays together.


I appreciate the info. Any good spots to order UV plexi?


I meant UV/Anti-glare Plexi
CS1987
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:11 am
Location: Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Art Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Jmtmoney2, Jon1701, otahoe, WaltJocketty, Zepeleptic and 3 guests