Does EB hype artificially inflate prices??

General art-related discussion.
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:18 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:Look at Geddes print values. Case closed.
Came here for this.

That Geddes market was fire. In fact, weren't most of his editions still available from his site until EB found him?

Any word on the final run size for that last timed edition?
victorialane
Art Enthusiast

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:20 pm

someone on here once told me that his print was worth more than the others because horkey numbered it himself.
spunkmonkey
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Wait, Horkey numbers Geddes prints?
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:22 pm

HelloExactly wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:Look at Geddes print values. Case closed.
Came here for this.

That Geddes market was fire. In fact, weren't most of his editions still available from his site until EB found him?

Any word on the final run size for that last timed edition?
1300 or so. mightve been 1265 from [my poor] memory
bryndavies
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 pm

chimpun wrote:Speaking of shifty looking sales, what's up with the WSP guy that sold 3 or 4 of the Sperry spring tour WSP print (the one with the Phoenix on it) for $1000 at a time?
#FakeSalesAreReal

That would be our resident shithead treejam.
ImageT.K.C.
dolamite24
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Let's hope a Republican doesn't put a bill on the floor of Congress to abolish EB or else we'll all be in trouble!
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Artificially? No. It's all organic. :D
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
clem99
EB Team

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Codeblue wrote:Does a bear fudge in the woods? Does a dead man tell no tales? Do I post too much?
art is the only justification for pain :)
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:39 pm

ISO APV! Offering $750 :pint:
Brazzzy
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:51 pm

HelloExactly wrote: That Geddes market was fire. In fact, weren't most of his editions still available from his site until EB found him?
I remember that. I just remember thinking who would want a print of an old lady hovering above a staircase.

lots of artists get super hyped then come back to earth ie emek, geddes, keyes, Pollock, Mccarthy, etc
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Brazzzy wrote:
HelloExactly wrote: That Geddes market was fire. In fact, weren't most of his editions still available from his site until EB found him?
I remember that. I just remember thinking who would want a print of an old lady hovering above a staircase.

lots of artists get super hyped then come back to earth ie emek, geddes, keyes, Pollock, Mccarthy, etc
I think the same about Stout....how many floating heads do you need?
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
veltri
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:01 pm

It occkurtz sometimes.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:02 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Kramerica wrote:I think Goonies and Tyler Stout would both be pretty popular regardless of EB.
I just can't see framing and hanging it, Stout or not. A guest comes over and their first comment is something along the lines of "I see your Goonies fan...ZOMG so and I!!"
I have the Ortiz hanging up. It's the second most complimented piece by guests aside from Civ.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
FOODRAP
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:02 pm

jjttdw wrote:I was wondering today if EB has a hand in bubbles related to some prints and artists. Is there hype generated on EB that drives the price of certain editions and artists significantly higher that it would be should EB just vanish like a fart in the wind? I submit as an example the Goonies print by Stout. First off, IMO Goonies is a decent movie but certainly not a masterpiece. Of the 750 in the regular run, 260 are in collections of those on EB. That doesn't even factor in those who don't add it to their collection or have multiples. Add in a dash of EB hype and you have a print that sells for quite more than it would otherwise.

Thoughts?
I believe that there are some artists who work with individuals on the board. Plain and simple. I also belive there are some artists who do look at the forum, see what peoples estiates are when a certain print is being released and no price is given or suggested. To that extent, there are a majority of artists that DO NOT frequent this or the banksy forum, they actually could give a rats ass what people ont he forum think which from readin certain members posts, they think they know more than the artist when it comes to producing artwork. Forget the geddes, stout and what have you markets of artists. There is a much greater audience than EB. its a shame because if we were trulya forum that did stuff like on other forums, we would be a much greater platform. A marketable brand name wher artists themselves would participate. But unfortunately we are a playground for whoever gangs up on who. A bullpen for internet gangstas.

The better question is or could be:

Are there members:

Who honestly like art on EB? Yes
Who hype prints up/down? Yes
Who make fake sales to drive print prices up/down? Yes there are.
Who sell, flip on the regular under there girls/wifes/neighbors/kids/coworkers/anyone with a paypal account they know yet call the kettle black? Yes
Are there members who are going to talk sh!t about this post? Yes there are they are known as the #USUALSUSPECTS
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Kramerica wrote:
jjttdw wrote:
Kramerica wrote:I think Goonies and Tyler Stout would both be pretty popular regardless of EB.
I just can't see framing and hanging it, Stout or not. A guest comes over and their first comment is something along the lines of "I see your Goonies fan...ZOMG so and I!!"
I have the Ortiz hanging up. It's the second most complimented piece by guests aside from Civ.
The Ortiz image is nice.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart