The Rory Kurtz Thread

General art-related discussion.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:41 pm

EgoDeath wrote:I guess, if we want interpret hype in some kind of existential personal and spiritual light some incense and listen to Enya kind of way.
So it goes...
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:41 pm

35mmpaul wrote:hype is a choice.

you don't have to own a piece of art just because you like it.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Whats the other way?

There's tons of pieces and private commissions I don't get invited to or get in on. I don't whine and moan when I see them done. (not saying you are but others are)

Worst case scenario you have an ISO and you go after it. Not the worst thing to have in this hobby.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Is duke charging James Jean monies yet?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:01 pm

35mmpaul wrote:Whats the other way?

There's tons of pieces and private commissions I don't get invited to or get in on. I don't whine and moan when I see them done. (not saying you are but others are)

Worst case scenario you have an ISO and you go after it. Not the worst thing to have in this hobby.
You're totally right. It's definitely a self-inflicted kind of thing. If people didn't froth at the mouth and fomo about all the stuff they feel they should have the right to own just because they want it, then a) it wouldn't fuel the kind of hype we're talking about, and b) they'd just be happier people in general lol
So it goes...
jkw3000
EB Team

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:05 pm

People suck.

In general, I mean.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Luls.

Hype is the only drive for many to own fudge.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Believing, buying in to, and being a part of hype is a choice.

But generally speaking hype - is not a choice, it is simply a form of promotion. Posting on social media, wether it successfully drives interest or not - is still an attempt generating some sort of hype. Hype is an element devised to push sales and create interest. Sneakers, streetwear, and a ton of galleries wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are without it.

I don't think commission groups are the ones to blame here about "getting off" on the hype that it is created. That is a component of why they exist in the first place, to create something special intended for a select group of people... the issue, to me, is the behavior of the artist who is working with group. Posting the finished piece is fine and expected, but teasing process shots and edging your Kult members then dismissing their concern as "marketing 101" is cringe city.
Last edited by EgoDeath on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 pm

Agree with that too. ^^
So it goes...
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Codeblue wrote:Is duke charging James Jean monies yet?
Timed edition FTW?
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:55 pm

EgoDeath wrote: I don't think commission groups are the ones to blame here about "getting off" on the hype that it is created. That is a component of why they exist in the first place, to create something special intended for a select group of people... the issue, to me, is the behavior of the artist who is working with group. Posting the finished piece is fine and expected, but teasing process shots and edging your Kult members then dismissing their concern as "marketing 101" is cringe city.
C'mon. You know they do, but point taken. Good post and for the most part, I agree.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:26 pm

EgoDeath wrote:Believing, buying in to, and being a part of hype is a choice.

But generally speaking hype - is not a choice, it is simply a form of promotion. Posting on social media, wether it successfully drives interest or not - is still an attempt generating some sort of hype. Hype is an element devised to push sales and create interest. Sneakers, streetwear, and a ton of galleries wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are without it.

I don't think commission groups are the ones to blame here about "getting off" on the hype that it is created. That is a component of why they exist in the first place, to create something special intended for a select group of people... the issue, to me, is the behavior of the artist who is working with group. Posting the finished piece is fine and expected, but teasing process shots and edging your Kult members then dismissing their concern as "marketing 101" is cringe city.
Hype is the audience. Promoting and sharing is the artist.

And this wasn't a promotion for people to buy. thats what people were complaining about. And it seems like you are too.

If you don't really care then I might be misreading your posts.

But many artists post small bits and share what they are working on all the time. Thats kind of the point of this board and these discussions.

If you get caught up in it and get upset at what you can't have, that's not on the artist because they are sharing what they are working on.

The aftermarket, the butthurt, and the complaining is going to be the same on this piece as it would be if he had waited to reveal it in full. Just now we hear about it before the print is in hand vs. after.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 pm

lol, I'm not even sure what you are saying anymore.

Hype is a marketing strategy. But I digress, I don't care enough to back and forth. The only thing I was initially commenting on was that Kurtz replies were as equally cringey as the people showing off their tattoos.
Last edited by EgoDeath on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Hype fuels what I flip. Love fuels what I frame.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:46 pm

thats true. bit rambly.

short version.

people are going to complain no matter what.