The Rory Kurtz Thread

General art-related discussion.
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Kramerica wrote:
mfaith wrote:Don't you think it has the potential of doing harm if taken too far? In the sense that it can have an alienating effect on the more casual fans. And once the super passionate ones become super passionate about some other thing, the casual fans who would've remained aren't there anymore. I don't know, it's a balancing act I guess.
No. The vast majority of his pop culture work is with Mondo, which prices everything well within the means of most of the fanbase. The only real issue is the entitlement of fans who think every piece should be available to them. There's no way to please all your fans. He prices them lower, all these so called trufans will be looking to cash in once their dog gets sick, their wife shoots it down, or they become enamoured with the next hot artist.
Just for the record, I don't feel entitled thinking that every piece should be available to me. Rory can run his business any way he sees fit. My only point is I'm not interested in his business if that's how he chooses to run it. That seems very fair to me. I'm not offended by how he does things and I'm not losing any sleep over it. The cult-like behavior comes from people who think they are only allowed to praise the choices of the artist and I don't want to be a part of that. I think it's reasonable (or should be) to disagree with an artist's choices without calling it "entitlement."
Last edited by Bluecow on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 pm

I wonder why he didn't just pump these out for Mondo... I don't feel like doing math but I would assume he makes a good chunk more if they are runs of around 500/250.

I just need to find a way to stop seeing sponsored posts by him all over my fb, lol. I have no idea why... but it's better than some other trash sponsored ads.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:12 pm

63schoeffling wrote:I wonder why he didn't just pump these out for Mondo... I don't feel like doing math but I would assume he makes a good chunk more if they are runs of around 500/250.

I just need to find a way to stop seeing sponsored posts by him all over my fb, lol. I have no idea why... but it's better than some other trash sponsored ads.
FB's watching, man. FB's always watching.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:14 pm

jkw3000 wrote:I'd just say that it seems like a lot to extrapolate how he wants to price and handle a tiny AP edition for a small, exclusive private commission against the norm of his usual releases - via Mondo, via timed edition sales on his site, even his normal AP pricing. Yeah it's high, god knows I neither lucked out into it nor participated in the lottery because of it, but I wouldn't imagine other artists doing tiny run commissions opting to make their APs a lower price either (or at least at cost), if they even participate or sell at all.

TL;dr - situation seems more like an exception than the norm, can't always get everything, yadda yadda yadda, hardly a reason to nuke the fandom from orbit.
To the bold, I think that's where Rory made the mistake IMO. If he had to charge this price to make it worthwhile for him to sell these prints to the public, I think the better move would have been to not sell them to the public at all. It's just a bad look to me. Others can disagree and that's fine, but as a fan that was just my perception of the situation. Again, he can do whatever he thinks is best for himself and I'll do the same. No hard feelings.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:15 pm

mfaith wrote:
Kramerica wrote:
mfaith wrote:Don't you think it has the potential of doing harm if taken too far? In the sense that it can have an alienating effect on the more casual fans. And once the super passionate ones become super passionate about some other thing, the casual fans who would've remained aren't there anymore. I don't know, it's a balancing act I guess.
No. The vast majority of his pop culture work is with Mondo, which prices everything well within the means of most of the fanbase. The only real issue is the entitlement of fans who think every piece should be available to them. There's no way to please all your fans. He prices them lower, all these so called trufans will be looking to cash in once their dog gets sick, their wife shoots it down, or they become enamoured with the next hot artist.
That's true. And perhaps that is what gives it the right balance, and makes it work ok for him.
But on the flip side, if you go too far with it, and take it to an extreme, it definitely has the potential of leaving a bad taste in the mouths of casual fans. Feeling like they're being taken advantage of or exploited in some way. I've gotten to the point where I'm arguing with myself on this haha. I'm obviously torn.
So it goes...
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:16 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:I wonder why he didn't just pump these out for Mondo... I don't feel like doing math but I would assume he makes a good chunk more if they are runs of around 500/250.

FB's watching, man. FB's always watching.
Apparently. It's all those damn poster groups I am in on FB.... goddamn echo chambers but too much laughable content to leave them.
jayper
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:17 pm

63schoeffling wrote:I wonder why he didn't just pump these out for Mondo...
I have no idea, but I assume likeness rights have a lot to so with it.

Those Xenos are sticklers.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pm

jayper wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:I wonder why he didn't just pump these out for Mondo...
I have no idea, but I assume likeness rights have a lot to so with it.

Those Xenos are sticklers.
Those legal issues around likeness rights are such a bitch to get away from.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 pm

I think what blows me away is that movie/pop culture poster fans would pay that much for a print. As someone who got into this hobby (and on EB) because of Mondo and their prints -- even traded and paid my way to get a Stout KB -- I can't see myself ponying up ~$1k on a movie/pop-culture print now. Maybe if the subject and the art was just a perfect combination, and maybe that's what this Alien print is to some people, I could do it -- but it'd have to be a pretty amazing artist/subject combo.

Sure, I'm a lower income graduate student who doesn't have a ton of money to throw around, so maybe I just get priced out. But just preference wise, I'd rather be spending money on an art print a la James Jean or someone, than putting ~$1k towards a movie print. Tastes change I guess, and to each his own.

Ultimately, I don't have a problem with the pricing for many of the arguments people have listed -- I just don't totally understand spending that money on this print, per se. Plenty of other grail pieces out there.
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:30 pm

bapaik wrote:I think what blows me away is that movie/pop culture poster fans would pay that much for a print. As someone who got into this hobby (and on EB) because of Mondo and their prints -- even traded and paid my way to get a Stout KB -- I can't see myself ponying up ~$1k on a movie/pop-culture print now. Maybe if the subject and the art was just a perfect combination, and maybe that's what this Alien print is to some people, I could do it -- but it'd have to be a pretty amazing artist/subject combo.

Sure, I'm a lower income graduate student who doesn't have a ton of money to throw around, so maybe I just get priced out. But just preference wise, I'd rather be spending money on an art print a la James Jean or someone, than putting ~$1k towards a movie print. Tastes change I guess, and to each his own.

Ultimately, I don't have a problem with the pricing for many of the arguments people have listed -- I just don't totally understand spending that money on this print, per se. Plenty of other grail pieces out there.
You and are of the same mindset. That was my thinking as well.
bert
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Codeblue wrote:Especially once he inevitably LDs.
Definitely feels like an LD type backlash is building...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:36 pm

I was more referring to da fact dat duke used to put out bangers on the reg and now his fudge is generally stale as fug.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Kramerica wrote:Many artists wait their entire career to have an opportunity at the kind of exposure that Rory has recently gotten. That notoriety rarely lasts forever so why shouldn't he charge as much as he can for his own work? It is how he makes a living, how he pays his bills, supports his family, puts his kids through college. Many times these artists don't have a 401k, employer provided health insurance/benefits, or a guarantee of steady work. Cashing in when you have the opportunity at a big payday is the obvious choice. People should blame the folks who have the money and are willing to pay the price for where the market is set.
late, but ^this.

I think its crazy to pay that amount for a pop culture screen print, but I think the artist would be dumb NOT to sell it at that price if people are lining up to buy it.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:44 pm

mfaith wrote:Oh no. What did I do.

no one is going to hear you scream about it here.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:58 pm

bapaik wrote:I think what blows me away is that movie/pop culture poster fans would pay that much for a print
Most movie/pop culture poster fans would rather collectively accumulate $1000 worth of garbage posters (see all FB poster group FS threads)
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!