How to tell if you're being ripped off

General art-related discussion.
CrookedCartoon
New User

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Just a quick one, recently been asked to do a gig poster for pretty large band, before now i've been doing small time shows, smaller bands where i've worked out a deal that is simple and pretty in favour of my labour gone into making the poster, this is my first time going through a management firm to organise a poster for a large band.

In essence, I illustrate and screen print all my work (as I always have done) so no expense is needed from the management/bands side of things and I give them 50 copies of the poster to sell at the show, I get £5.00 (Roughly $7.00) per poster so £250.00 in total ($330.00) and then I can print 15 at my own expense to sell after the show (online).

I imagine if they're selling these for £15 - £20 each at the show they are set to make £750 - £1000 ($992 - $1325) which seems like i'm being had off a bit considering all the labour is mine, not sure if that's the case.

Anyone familiar enough with illustrating/printing gig posters to advise me if this is good or rubbish? And if so how does the market generally work for these things?
There isn't too much of a market in the UK for gigposters (not like the US anyhow) so not sure if that effects anything.
Thanks.