Has a private commission group produced anything great?

General art-related discussion.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Woo5lscott wrote:Some stuff is better than what Mondo could do
Sure if you dont have studio restrictions, studio requests and you decide to completely break trademark and copyright law, SOME stuff could be better.
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
Cragars
Art Expert

Tue May 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Buckhammer wrote:
Sure if you dont have studio restrictions, studio requests and you decide to completely break trademark and copyright law, SOME stuff could be better.
Yep. Some of Mondo's best stuff was under the table.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
ethnosax wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:i still can't get over that arrival poster he did that has nothing visually to do with the movie at all minus the alien writing.
Eres's Arrival poster? I thought it was pleasantly bizarre. I was almost tempted to buy it, just because it's so weird, and so different from anything else on my wall. But I am holding out for an Arrival poster that makes sense, someday.
I bought that poster and I actually really dig it. Got it to go with some of my Eng Sci-fi stuff. Looks like Arrival by Studio Ghibli or something. Pleasantly bizarre is a good way to put it.
don't get me wrong, aesthetically i like it. and it's well rendered.

But what am i looking at?

Its not earth, it's not the shells from the movie. You could slap the title 'Argo' or 'Jodorowsky's Dune' or 'Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey' and it would have as much to do with the those movies as the poster does with Arrival.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
tourist504
Art Expert

Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
ethnosax wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:i still can't get over that arrival poster he did that has nothing visually to do with the movie at all minus the alien writing.
Eres's Arrival poster? I thought it was pleasantly bizarre. I was almost tempted to buy it, just because it's so weird, and so different from anything else on my wall. But I am holding out for an Arrival poster that makes sense, someday.
I bought that poster and I actually really dig it. Got it to go with some of my Eng Sci-fi stuff. Looks like Arrival by Studio Ghibli or something. Pleasantly bizarre is a good way to put it.
don't get me wrong, aesthetically i like it. and it's well rendered.

But what am i looking at?

Its not earth, it's not the shells from the movie. You could slap the title 'Argo' or 'Jodorowsky's Dune' or 'Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey' and it would have as much to do with the those movies as the poster does with Arrival.
I love that Arrival poster. It's a re-imagining in the style of Jean Gireaud, and its why I was expecting more from the Dune project.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
jmagee87
Art Expert

Tue May 23, 2017 10:53 pm

Shoutout to Paul for putting together a killer commission. Got this in today and man is it beautiful. This is a commission gone right.

Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 23, 2017 11:00 pm

Perfection! That is a great poster--congrats!

(There are other authors besides Palahniuk, though.) ;)
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue May 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks man! Really glad so many people have been digging the print. I hope a few get curious and check out the film.

Couldn't think of anyone else to tackle the film and he knocked it out of the park for me.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed May 24, 2017 2:00 am

Cragars wrote:Flying phallic spaceship coming in for a landing at Orgasm mountain.
Luls. Who's gonna catch da money shot doe?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Wed May 24, 2017 6:28 am

Buckhammer wrote:
There are a lot of licensed commissions in the works that still look better
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 am

As a follow-up--I just received the Eres Arrival poster (was buying something else from Dark City Gallery, and decided to add this one while I was paying for shipping anyway). In person the colors are a lot more vivid than I was expecting, which is great, and the details are very nicely done. I love half-tone on screenprints--something about that technique in that medium is just very satisfying. Anyway, I know this print has a limited appeal, for a number of reasons but I'm happy with it.

By the way, the other print I ordered from DCG was another one that I would definitely nominate for "private commission producing anything great": Raid71's Tron poster.

pittidesart
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:39 am

That Stan and Vince The Blob is the best private commission I have seen in a very long time. And it's officially authorized ( I say authorized not licensed since it is not for public sale). Good job to those involved in that.
Official website: http://www.pittidesart.com
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 am

think that's one of the best things Thornley has ever done. Just not sure I "need" a Tron poster.
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:49 am

hunterjax wrote:think that's one of the best things Thornley has ever done. Just not sure I "need" a Tron poster.
Chris is one of the artists I most look forward to seeing new work from, because he has so much variety and can surprise me. This is one of my favorites by him. I've long wanted a perfect Tron poster, and this one does it for me. It's a rare instance of the "kitchen sink" approach (a little bit of everything from the movie on one poster) being a total triumph. And while GID is often just a gimmick, Tron is a great title to have some glow.

(I know--it sounds like the hype train. Sorry--I just genuinely like this poster!) ;)
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:59 am

ethnosax wrote:
hunterjax wrote:think that's one of the best things Thornley has ever done. Just not sure I "need" a Tron poster.
Chris is one of the artists I most look forward to seeing new work from, because he has so much variety and can surprise me. This is one of my favorites by him. I've long wanted a perfect Tron poster, and this one does it for me. It's a rare instance of the "kitchen sink" approach (a little bit of everything from the movie on one poster) being a total triumph. And while GID is often just a gimmick, Tron is a great title to have some glow.

(I know--it sounds like the hype train. Sorry--I just genuinely like this poster!) ;)
totally agree with everything you said - still just not sure I, personally, would hang a tron poster
stuarthimsley
Art Expert

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:55 pm

From Facebook...

Regular

Foil Variant

Steadman Variant