The Kevin Peterson Thread

General art-related discussion.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:46 pm

The quality is fine. I have no idea what you guys are seeing or not seeing.
It came out great.
It's way better than screen prints by JC Richard and James Eads.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:04 pm

Prolly cuz it's a geekclay.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
shredkeenan
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:20 pm

I agree that Coalition II is not at the same level of quality reproduction that Static Medium is capable of. My hypothesis is that they only did the printing. This print release was announced like a year after the gallery show where Coalition II was sold, so I doubt the original painting was available to be photographed or scanned or whatever they do usually do as part of their process. I assume that they had to print it from a digital file that Kevin had kept for his own purposes strictly to archive his work. I'd say it's "good enough", but I'll admit I was a little disappointed. Still going to hang it though.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:25 pm

Ya'll do realize there's a Static Medium thread where they're quite responsive, right? Perhaps this should be moved to that thread or someone should clue em in to this discussion for a response.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:17 am

Codeblue wrote:Ya'll do realize there's a Static Medium thread where they're quite responsive, right? Perhaps this should be moved to that thread or someone should clue em in to this discussion for a response.
Oh blue, don't you remember where you are?
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:39 am

Oof.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:38 am

turnJBup wrote:The quality is fine. I have no idea what you guys are seeing or not seeing.
It came out great.
666ways2love wrote:
maddog76 wrote:
aky90be wrote:Is it me or is the print job on it meh(not crisp, almost blurry, or is that due to the OG)?
I thought same thing.
I see it as well. Doesn't have the sharpness I was expecting.
That's what I thought as well. I wouldn't say it's meh and definitely worth the $75. However, I would not pay even close to a premium that Protector dictates for this quality of a print. That is what I meant to say but didn't :pint:
bryndavies wrote:The four Peterson prints I have all look different, with the first coalition d the protector looking the best. I also see no problems with the quality of the most recent one.
Thanks, dude. Seeing this print now though, I will definitely need to see the Protector in person (not sure how) before I have the funds to get one (if I find one for sale).
StaticMedium
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:46 pm

shredkeenan wrote:I agree that Coalition II is not at the same level of quality reproduction that Static Medium is capable of. My hypothesis is that they only did the printing. This print release was announced like a year after the gallery show where Coalition II was sold, so I doubt the original painting was available to be photographed or scanned or whatever they do usually do as part of their process. I assume that they had to print it from a digital file that Kevin had kept for his own purposes strictly to archive his work. I'd say it's "good enough", but I'll admit I was a little disappointed. Still going to hang it though.
Nailed it.

Unfortunately, since the original had sold over a year before the print release we never had a chance to photograph it. For comparison, we did photograph Coalition I. In instances such as this we're simply reliant upon the file produced by the gallery or artist. A digital print or giclee is simply a photo of a painting that is printed. That makes the photo or file the most important step in producing a high quality giclee. We always recommend that for the best results an original is photographed in our studio so we can create our own high res file and color proof against the original.
maddog76
Flipper

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:50 pm

StaticMedium wrote:
shredkeenan wrote:I agree that Coalition II is not at the same level of quality reproduction that Static Medium is capable of. My hypothesis is that they only did the printing. This print release was announced like a year after the gallery show where Coalition II was sold, so I doubt the original painting was available to be photographed or scanned or whatever they do usually do as part of their process. I assume that they had to print it from a digital file that Kevin had kept for his own purposes strictly to archive his work. I'd say it's "good enough", but I'll admit I was a little disappointed. Still going to hang it though.
Nailed it.

Unfortunately, since the original had sold over a year before the print release we never had a chance to photograph it. For comparison, we did photograph Coalition I. In instances such as this we're simply reliant upon the file produced by the gallery or artist. A digital print or giclee is simply a photo of a painting that is printed. That makes the photo or file the most important step in producing a high quality giclee. We always recommend that for the best results an original is photographed in our studio so we can create our own high res file and color proof against the original.
So we paid $75 for a ink jet print of a jpg photo.

Times like these I realize I could print my own.
StaticMedium
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:16 pm

maddog76 wrote:
StaticMedium wrote:
Nailed it.

I wish you the best in your print shop endeavours! :D

The photo used was the same one used by the RHCP for all of their merch, billboards, promotion, prints, etc. It's a high res .TIF file. We just weren't the ones to photograph the original.
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:19 pm

you mean it wasn't just a picture message Kevin texted you??? :twisted:

Thanks for info was always SM!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:23 pm

maddog76 wrote:
StaticMedium wrote:
Nailed it.

Ya been around for 10 years and still didn't know this fudge? Luls.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Thankfully, the only two new pieces I like from the show are the most expensive and way out of the realm of possibility for me.
ImageT.K.C.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:20 pm

What happened? Are ya a poor now?
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:21 pm

That Eskimo DUI money ain't what it used to be.
ImageT.K.C.