THE VACVVM: Official Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm surprised there's not more hype for this. I think it looks drymounting incredible. Helmeted bird + olde-timey camera is all win as far as I'm concerned.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
triporfreak
Art Expert

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:30 pm

dat camera does it for me! :D
bmd1191
Art Expert

Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:34 pm

KSUvet wrote:I'm surprised there's not more hype for this. I think it looks drymounting incredible. Helmeted bird + olde-timey camera is all win as far as I'm concerned.
I think mostly because it is a gig poster. If this was an art print I feel it would be a whole different scenario.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:45 pm

bmd1191 wrote:
KSUvet wrote:I'm surprised there's not more hype for this. I think it looks drymounting incredible. Helmeted bird + olde-timey camera is all win as far as I'm concerned.
I think mostly because it is a gig poster. If this was an art print I feel it would be a whole different scenario.
Some of Aaron's most memorable prints are gigposters (e.g. Mogwai, Andrew Bird Boston, etc.). I don't think the fact that those were gigposters reduced excitement around them (but I'm obviously biased, so I may not be the best person to ask lol)
So it goes...
fredo
Art God

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:22 pm

All gigposters are art prints. Goddam shame that the opposite isn't true. I blame the Methodists.
just a foil for me today, thanks
bmd1191
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:59 am

mfaith wrote:
bmd1191 wrote:
Some of Aaron's most memorable prints are gigposters (e.g. Mogwai, Andrew Bird Boston, etc.). I don't think the fact that those were gigposters reduced excitement around them (but I'm obviously biased, so I may not be the best person to ask lol)
Yeah for sure Aaron has made some phenomenal prints that are gig posters. I'm just saying that I think there are a decent amount of people (myself included) that won't buy a gig poster if it is for a band/show/event that they don't like or didn't go to. That's the only reason I think the hype for this was maybe a little subdued.

I for one think the print is amazing. But I don't like the bands the print is for. So therefore I will never buy this cause I won't hang a print for a band I don't like.
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:01 am

fredo wrote:All gigposters are art prints. Goddam shame that the opposite isn't true. I blame the Methodists.
And the romans...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 am

Maybe the fact that it’s a hot drymounting mess has something to do with it.

And it’s the furthest thing from a gig poster you can get from a gig poster as the text is illegible.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
goldenrose
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 am

I'd like to say that Aaron elevated the gig poster to a new level by making the artwork the primary focus - but the truth is that the psychedelic art forefathers Rick Griffin, Wes Wilson, Victor Moscoso, Mouse/Kelly, Lee Conklin etc. did that. Making the text hard to read or even illegible in sixties gig posters was done on purpose - to throw the "squares" off and speak to the "enlightened".

Just the same I think Aaron is a trailblazer in this respect by adding his own angle to the mix - intricate illustrative work with a subtle personal narrative. Why shouldn't a gig poster be a thing of beauty?
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:53 am

earlgreytoast wrote:
Maybe the fact that it’s a hot drymounting mess has something to do with it.

And it’s the furthest thing from a gig poster you can get from a gig poster as the text is illegible.
Did you make this comment an illegible hot mess on purpose then? That last sentence is a doozy.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:21 am

EarlGreySquare!
rka00
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:34 am

Ah yes, that's why I love this sport, I mean hobby...one man's hot drymounting mess is another man's gigposter masterpiece :notworthy:
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:53 pm

i always love the 'i wont buy a gig poster for a show i wasn't at!' crowd.

its a curious line. but hey its your line. shine on.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:57 pm

35mmpaul wrote:i always love the 'i wont buy a gig poster for a show i wasn't at!' crowd.

its a curious line. but hey its your line. shine on.
I used to feel like this because I felt like it was being a sell out or something - like buying tour tee shirts from a mall instead of at the show. But I got over it because there are too many good gig posters out there that I love.

I still won't get a great gig poster for a band I don't like though. Almost made an exception for the Stout Imagine Dragons, but drymount that band. :D
noweyesee
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Does the same rule apply for a movie you never saw in a theater?