THE VACVVM: Official Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Shingo was and is one of Aaron’s first collector/fans from the Abuse days and flew out from japan to see his first couple art shows, and Shingo wanted to help Aaron gain more exposure in Japan. Business partnership/friendship ensued
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Kramerica wrote:I'm interested to see how the sepia looks in person. The earlier pics looked like it was more of a pink or rose color whereas the megafauna pics look more brownish.

Happy to have a shot at this one after whiffing on the others. Tried my card even though I was sure it would be flagged since it is an international purchase. Still got through with paypal on the rebound.
I agree that it looked pink on the initial photos. After looking this morning I like the sepia more than I did initially.

Congrats on the pick up!

My laptop crapped out 2 days ago so I tried on my phone this morning with no luck. I guess I was destined to pay aftermarket prices.

:cheers:
I'm not someone else.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 pm

talkingdeads wrote:Shingo was and is one of Aaron’s first collector/fans from the Abuse days and flew out from japan to see his first couple art shows, and Shingo wanted to help Aaron gain more exposure in Japan. Business partnership/friendship ensued
thanks. Aaron strikes me as the loyal type so that all makes sense.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu May 17, 2018 2:06 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
Kramerica wrote:I'm interested to see how the sepia looks in person. The earlier pics looked like it was more of a pink or rose color whereas the megafauna pics look more brownish.

Happy to have a shot at this one after whiffing on the others. Tried my card even though I was sure it would be flagged since it is an international purchase. Still got through with paypal on the rebound.
I agree that it looked pink on the initial photos. After looking this morning I like the sepia more than I did initially.

Congrats on the pick up!

My laptop crapped out 2 days ago so I tried on my phone this morning with no luck. I guess I was destined to pay aftermarket prices.

:cheers:
I like how it looks in the pics from megafauna much better than in the teaser shots. Otherwise I might have just paid aftermarket for a reg. I still think I may prefer the grey for it's closer representation of the original graphite drawing but the sepia is really growing on me. Funny how spending $400 on something will make you like it more than you thought. :lol:
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm

:lol: very true
I'm not someone else.
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 pm

I really love the Japanese title at the bottom on the Sepia version. Not saying that was a game changer, but it definitely made a difference deciding which one i wanted to keep for the wall.

Second Megafauna purchase, if they did anything like the way The Halting Commons edition they sold, I'll be a happy buyer. Really REALLY nice packaging and presentation.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Just received the grey Colossus Aground. For some reason, I assumed the stock it was printed on would be much thicker. However, the printing itself is top notch. Really masterful work from Ben on this one.
plaink
Art Expert

Fri May 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Silver ink used in the title on the variant makes it quite subtle, kind of downplays the text. Beautiful print.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri May 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Translation: billy is disappointed yet again
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
plaink
Art Expert

Fri May 18, 2018 4:40 pm

que?
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 pm

My reg arrived today too. And while the paper is a little on the thin side, it's nothing outrageous (not, say, like Rich Kelly's Sword in the Stone print).

And the reg does appear to have metallics on the title as well.
bsharp
Art Expert

Fri May 18, 2018 8:10 pm

I don't know how thick you guys thought it would be, but personally I think it's fine -- they're as thick as, or maybe a bit thicker than, the speckletone cream Obey paper. And they'll flatten nicely.

In the flesh, so far I prefer the reg to the blue. Now I'm excited to see how the sepia stacks up.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Fri May 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Buncha size queens up in here
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 pm

Never satisfied. Always about girth. :(
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri May 18, 2018 11:01 pm

I just had it in my head that the paper would be heavier. The print is great.