Art God

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:07 am

sincere86a wrote: Also, are Madballs big sellers???? :shock:
no
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:09 am

idk. if you think there hasn't been anything good from their output in years...i find that a bit specious.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 am

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
actorinthisplay
Art Expert

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:09 am

psshahbazian wrote:
actorinthisplay wrote:My problem with this print is that it could say "Batman Begins" or "The Dark Knight Rises" on the title block and you would never know the difference. How can you have a TDK poster without the Joker? Seems like a huge missed opportunity.
There are issues with this print, but that is not one of them. I'd have liked the Joker too, but this is easily identifiable. If you have watched the trilogy with enough attentiveness it is obvious that this is from The Dark Knight. Batman Begins would have a different/bulkier suit, lower/derelict buildings/grunge. It would also trend more towards an orange tint. The image in this poster clearly depicts the scenes of Batman listening in for the Joker as he tries to track him/navigate the city. Rises doesn't really have a scene like this in it.
lol relax dude. It's not as "obvious" as you think.
virtualj
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 am

KingOfNothing wrote:Sorry, I'm in the camp that says this is a super boring Batman image. But, I see a bigger problem here. The lack of anything really exciting being released in the past few years from Mondo. I believe we reached "peak-Mondo" when they started doing their own "Con." Now they've spread the talent pool too thin because most are focused on a single weekend event and the new up and comers aren't very exciting. Even that last Disney show was pretty much meh.

It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.
There's a collector's cycle. Sounds like you're on the way out bruh
I donate anonymously.
KingOfNothing
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:51 am

virtualj wrote:
KingOfNothing wrote:Sorry, I'm in the camp that says this is a super boring Batman image. But, I see a bigger problem here. The lack of anything really exciting being released in the past few years from Mondo. I believe we reached "peak-Mondo" when they started doing their own "Con." Now they've spread the talent pool too thin because most are focused on a single weekend event and the new up and comers aren't very exciting. Even that last Disney show was pretty much meh.

Nah, bra. I've been collecting prints for almost 30 years. Has nothing to do with a "collector's cycle" and everything to do with all the recent "successful" Mondo artist's are stretched too thin/the venue (Mondo) has to share top tier artist's with other shops and or artist's get their own thing going. You can't tell me that the art that Mondo has put out in the past 7 months of this year rival any year prior. Sure, they might sell out instantly but that's only because you constantly have a new influx of buyers jumping on the bandwagon, doesn't mean the art itself justifies the sell-out. Not on the way out buuurah.
NEVER FORGET Image 02/14/14
Je préfère mourir sur mes pieds que de vivre à genoux
GoreMetChef
Art Expert

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:30 am

KingOfNothing wrote:
virtualj wrote:

Nah, bra. I've been collecting prints for almost 30 years. Has nothing to do with a "collector's cycle" and everything to do with all the recent "successful" Mondo artist's are stretched too thin/the venue (Mondo) has to share top tier artist's with other shops and or artist's get their own thing going. You can't tell me that the art that Mondo has put out in the past 7 months of this year rival any year prior. Sure, they might sell out instantly but that's only because you constantly have a new influx of buyers jumping on the bandwagon, doesn't mean the art itself justifies the sell-out. Not on the way out buuurah.
Idk what you're talking about but Mondo's output this year has been the best in the last couple years: Kurtz Drive, Stout Civil War, Edmiston the Thing, an awesome MM SW show, the House Party OG show, not to mention other great posters like Green Room, Shaw's Get Out and Lotay's WW and Personal Shopper.

There's basically been at least one really great poster or a great gallery show a month.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:57 am

It's been a pretty good year..a little bit for everybody
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 am

That's not true at all, there's just allllloooot more out there to choose from now. You have other galleries putting out high quality licensed prints (e.g. Bottleneck who have been on fire this year with tons of great releases), artists selling prints directly from their webstores, etc. With more to choose from (from my experience), I think you just become more selective as a collector so releases that you actually go after become more few and far between as you refine your taste. With that being said, you'll wait longer for a release you really want but it's more fun in the long run to have a collection that means a lot to you. I don't think it has anything to do with output quality at all, I think it's the exact opposite. But even if there's a million artists out there, is that really a problem for people who love art? If anything it's better as it will eventually weed out people who "collect" vs people who love art and want to throw it on their walls.
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:22 am

oh look that time of year where we list the good prints so far.

Aviator, Drive, Get Out, Swiss Army Man, The Thing, Civil War.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:35 am

ccsmd598 wrote:That's not true at all, there's just allllloooot more out there to choose from now. You have other galleries putting out high quality licensed prints (e.g. Bottleneck who have been on fire this year with tons of great releases), artists selling prints directly from their webstores, etc. With more to choose from (from my experience), I think you just become more selective as a collector so releases that you actually go after become more few and far between as you refine your taste. With that being said, you'll wait longer for a release you really want but it's more fun in the long run to have a collection that means a lot to you. I don't think it has anything to do with output quality at all, I think it's the exact opposite. But even if there's a million artists out there, is that really a problem for people who love art? If anything it's better as it will eventually weed out people who "collect" vs people who love art and want to throw it on their walls.
+ private commissions
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 am

Are those still a thing?
So it goes...
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 am

mfaith wrote:Are those still a thing?
Still going strong...art of the week was one
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 am

Art of the week doesn't mean nearly what it used to, since FB commission groups just rally all of their people to flood the voting...
So it goes...
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 am

mfaith wrote:Art of the week doesn't mean nearly what it used to, since FB commission groups just rally all of their people to flood the voting...
But what about Cap'n Mikey TPM...u tellin me that was a lie?
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!