Black Dragon Press

General art-related discussion.
desch
Art Expert

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 am

Jiro is now sold out as well. 5 minutes for Taro and 15 for Jiro!
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 am

RottenAtom wrote:What's everybody's favorite Akira Kurosawa film? Why?

I'm a huuuge RAN fan. In 2010, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston played several AK films leading up to a newly-restored 25th anniversary screening of RAN. I was drymounting blown away. It was one of those transcending theatrical experiences. I saw it in Austin for the 30th anniversary and was once again amazed.

One time I came out of the dentist office all doped up and went to Border's Books to look for some DVDs while I healed up from wisdom-tooth extraction. I stumbled on the out of print RAN Criterion DVD. It's probably the favorite DVD I own (that or Brazil Criterion set). The RAN DVD is still the best way to view the film at home - (the Studio Canal version doesn't look as good).

I often regret not picking up that AK50 Criterion set that had like all of his films in it.
Hard to pick, but my favorites might be High And Low, Ikiru, and Seven Samurai.

Also Red Beard.
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 am

I'm a huuuge RAN fan. In 2010, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston played several AK films leading up to a newly-restored 25th anniversary screening of RAN. I was drymounting blown away. It was one of those transcending theatrical experiences. I saw it in Austin for the 30th anniversary and was once again amazed.

One time I came out of the dentist office all doped up and went to Border's Books to look for some DVDs while I healed up from wisdom-tooth extraction. I stumbled on the out of print RAN Criterion DVD. It's probably the favorite DVD I own (that or Brazil Criterion set). The RAN DVD is still the best way to view the film at home - (the Studio Canal version doesn't look as good).

I often regret not picking up that AK50 Criterion set that had like all of his films in it.
I haven't seen all of Kurosawa's films--not even close--but for me, Ran and Throne of Blood are two of my favorite films by any director. It probably has something to do with the Shakespeare connection, because I also like innovative adaptations of Shakespeare (Kosintsev's Russian-language King Lear is my all-time favorite adaptation). But also has to do with those beautifully distant, wide-angle shots in Ran's battle scenes--glorious.

And agreed on the Criterion edition of Ran. It's one of Criterion's best, and one of the best commentary tracks I've ever listened to.
desch
Art Expert

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:20 am

For me without a doubt, it's Yojimbo. I watched the Mifune documentary narrated by Keanu recently and there was a bit of a consensus that Yojimbo was the perfect example of Kurosawa and Mifune firing on all cylinders for that production. But the tone and soundtrack ahead of its time, especially for a Japanese movie blew me away. And Mifune is pure ronin cool and don't give a drymount attitude is just pure cinema joy to behold. It's not Kurosawa's epic masterpiece, but probably his true understated masterpiece.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
IronRinn
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 am

I don't know if I could pick a favorite. It strikes me that I would probably pick a different one on any given day. For right now I would say Seven Samurai as it was the first one of his films that I ever saw and the cast are so good together in it.

The rights to Ran really need to get straightened out so Criterion can release their Blu-ray edition.
Jah
Art Expert

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:24 am

Anyone get a confirmation e-mail from Black Dragon Press
T.H.C 5
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 am

Jah wrote:Anyone get a confirmation e-mail from Black Dragon Press
fix your sigs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
ahrkitekt
Art Connoisseur

Love the black and red with Jiro, and I think it works better with the text, but it was hard to pass on the yellow. I really like the artwork by itself though and was considering Saburo, but the black and red colorway looks too good to pass on. Seven Samurai and Ran have to be my favorites. I remember seeing Seven Samurai as a kid and being bored to death. Then several years later I had to watch Ran in school, and I loved it. It made me go back a rewatch Seven Samurai, and I ended up loving it too.
ISO Horkey Nesting
IronRinn
Art Connoisseur

Yeah, I got one right after I completed my order.
xenmate
Art Expert

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 am

DM me your deets and I'll check for you
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am

desch wrote:Jiro is now sold out as well. 5 minutes for Taro and 15 for Jiro!
Ha got talking to a co-worker and gone. Did not expect that but happy to see Joao and RAN fans came out.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:32 am

desch wrote:Jiro is now sold out as well. 5 minutes for Taro and 15 for Jiro!
RAN/Ruas is too good a combo to pass up. (Same as Tong/RAN).) Congrats, BDP! Killing it

deancc
Art Expert

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 am

Ran is definitely my favourite. Pretty much perfect in every way. Try to catch it at least once a year at the theatre.

- "I am lost."
- "Such is the human condition."

So pleased to grab a Taro poster.
Jah
Art Expert

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:44 am

xenmate wrote:
DM me your deets and I'll check for you
Thankyou :clap:
T.H.C 5
Jah