**The Ideal Artist/Property Match-Up Game**

General art-related discussion.
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:13 pm

One of my favorite things to do when I'm around other collectors is talk about dream pairings of my favorite artists and films or TV shows. If you were a creative director at a gallery (like Mondo for instance) who would you commission to work on your favorite film poster?

Let's get the easy ones out of the way...

Ansin Blade Runner, Stout Pulp Fiction.

I'll start out with a few:

Martin Ansin / 2001: A Space Odyssey. This is my dream pairing. Martin Ansin is the one artist that I'd like to see tackle my favorite film of all time. Just looking at his recent Alien and Prometheus, I can see HAL and Dave and the Monolith wanting to come out. Ender's Game and Elysium also have a little Arthur C. Clarke DNA in them. I'd welcome "new Ansin's" geometrics and balanced layouts to the greatest story ever told.

Kevin Tong / Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Flying vintage robots are in Tong's wheelhouse, (see Iron Robot and MGMT gig poster). Durieux would slay it, too.

Tyler Stout / Firefly / Serenity. My favorite character artist and my favorite characters. All he has to do is take Wrath of Khan and replace it with Mal and the Gang.

Aaron Horkey / The Littles. This one is a little obscure, but growing up I loved reading The Littles... Tiny people with tails who lived in the walls and used discarded human things as furniture and tools. I'd love to see Aaron's take on a chair made from a empty spool of thread and a bed made out of an anchovy can. Little people riding cats and birds...

Florian Bertmer / Anything Meso-American. Florian makes the best geometric border designs and tends to do better work on gruesome images. I'd like to see him tackle Apacolypto or some other Aztec/Mayan film... maybe the first part of The Fountain. An Aztec God, with a bloody heart in his hand in front of base-relief murals on a temple, bordered by hieroglyphics woul be amazing. Take Hellraiser and replace him with Quetzalcoatl.
ImageImageImage
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Horkey - Dark Crystal

Would love to see an Ansin 2001.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
c0bbz
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Ansin - The Third Man

Kelly - Casablanca

Horkey - Q: The Winged Serpent
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image
Celsius
Flipper

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:21 pm

I'd force Tyler Stout to work entirely on animation properties only.

I'd force Olly to do only Ghibli.

I'd force Whalen to do only Disney / Pixar.

I'd force Perillo to do only episodes of Twilight Zone and Alfred Hithcock Presents.

I'd force Ansin to do a whole Nolan series and from hence forth only psychological thrillers.

I'd force Horkey to stop doing movie posters entirely because he's not good at it and do only helmeted birds. And to stay away from animation.

I'd force JC Richard to do more animation properties.

I'd force Tong to do Stardust.
Last edited by Celsius on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
whl10
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Banksy- exit through the giftshop
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Durieux Jurassic Park
apruski03
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Celsius wrote:I'd force Tyler Stout to work entirely on animation properties only.

I'd force Olly to do only Ghibli.

I'd force Whalen to do only Disney / Pixar.

I'd force Perillo to do only episodes of Twilight Zone and Alfred Hithcock Presents.

I'd force Ansin to do a whole Nolan series and from hence forth only psychological thrillers.

I'd force Horkey to stop doing movie posters entirely because he's not good at it and do only helmeted birds. And to stay away from animation.

I'd force JC Richard to do more animation properties.

I'd force Tong to do Stardust.

To each their own, but I think Horkey's Pan's Labyrinth, True Grit, LOTR, Jurassic Park and There Will be Blood posters are quite fantastic!
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Chuck Sperry / A Clockwork Orange. I always wanted an Ansin Clockwork Orange (a whole Kubrick Series, really), but Sperry would kill it Alex and his Droogs.

Imagine Sperry's metallics and varnishes and geometrics capturing Alex's world. Sperry can nail early 70's.
ImageImageImage
taylorph
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 pm

There's some great suggestions here already!

What about 1984, I think durieux would do a good job on that one.

Also, no more Disney for horkey. The helmeted birds are kinda tired in my opinion but if that's what people are shelling out cash for then he might want to stick to what he's best at.

Chuck Sperry for clockwork orange would be a win too.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...
binky79
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Josh Keyes - 12 Monkeys (Post apocalyptic city with animals)
Tyler Stout - Cowboy Bebop
Jock - *Insert David Fincher movie here*
Rob Jones - The Fisher King
Kevin Tong - Lost In Translation
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Horkey Black Sabbath poster.
binky79
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:38 pm

I'm not into Horkey but Secret of Nimh seems like a no-brainer. It actually has a bird who is obsessed with string in it.
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:43 pm

c0bbz wrote:Ansin - The Third Man

Kelly - Casablanca

Horkey - Q: The Winged Serpent
Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon are my 2nd and 3rd favorites of all time after 2001. I've always thought about who would do a perfect Bogey... my choice for either is Tyler Stout.

Tyler Stout / Any Humphrey Bogart Film. Tyler can draw craggy faces. Bogey wasn't a male model like Cary Grant. See: Quint. Replace with Sam Spade, Rick, Phillip Marlowe or Harry Morgan. I'll take Stouts on all four films.

But you bring up Rich Kelly, so here's what I'd want from Rich: something rustic.

Rich Kelly / Ravenous / Deadwood. 19th Century West, but not necessarily Western. Equally "Come And Get It" or "The Barbary Coast".
ImageImageImage
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Rhys Cooper - The Bronx. Oh, wait.. :wink:

on another note...

Ken Taylor - Memoirs of a Geisha
Ken Taylor - Curse of the Golden Flower
Ken Taylor - House of the Flying Daggers
Tyler Stout - This Is England
Ken Taylor - Game of Thrones (Heart Tree) ...Think along the lines of his Halloween poster.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:53 pm

Jeff Proctor / The Shining. He's already halfway there with his Shins GP (see below). He'd also do equally well with a decomposing woman and an elevator full of blood.

ImageImageImage