New Charming Baker

General art-related discussion.
mrkyuss
Art God

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:26 am

I got the reg, still good value with the hand drawn turtle dove. Reminds me of Home Alone 2.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
waxenpi
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:59 pm

too bad it's not a screen print, giclee's are cheapish looking (josh keyes being the exception imo)
mrkyuss
Art God

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Not really. Ya ever seen a Geddes?
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
bkboy77
Art Expert

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:06 pm

and throw Ashley Wood's stuff in the exception too. A lot of the texture captured in his giclee pieces.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
partpat
Art Freak

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:07 pm

bkboy77 wrote:and throw Ashley Wood's stuff in the exception too. A lot of the texture captured in his giclee pieces.

Indeed , ash giclee's do have this going on
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:25 pm

waxenpi wrote:too bad it's not a screen print, giclee's are cheapish looking (josh keyes being the exception imo)
Actually, Jealous Studio can print an amazing giclee. Added the screened varnish and it's a sight to behold.
GmidD
Art Expert

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:20 pm

partpat wrote:
bkboy77 wrote:and throw Ashley Wood's stuff in the exception too. A lot of the texture captured in his giclee pieces.

Indeed , ash giclee's do have this going on
I have a giclee by Copyright that is just as nice or nicer than any of the screenprints I own including the various 20+ color Hush screenprints I have. Some giclees can definitely suffer in quality, but, if done correctly, they can be amazing prints. Audrey Kawasaki is another artist who consistently puts out amazing looking giclees.
waxenpi
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Solely IMO (and most of this doesnt apply to hand finished giclees).....
Giclees = glorified Kinko's prints. I understand that many artists' styles don't translate to the screen print medium, but in this particular case I think it could, and I think it'd have a more personal touch. Giclees are reproductions, whereas screen prints are new creations. I own plenty of Giclees myself, but it's hard to justify high price tags. Many Giclees are also questionably archival.

Also, the varnish and other unique paper types used for Giclees only exist to enhance that "reproduced" look. Varnish can also be added to screen prints super easy, but I don't think many artists use it because of the terrible glare it creates (not sure if proper framing glass can fix this).
aldo
Art Expert

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:02 pm

waxenpi wrote: Giclees are reproductions, whereas screen prints are new creations.
:| You do know that many screenprinters have automated machines that do all the work? There is no difference if you are talking about a machine making the giclee or screenprint vs a human.
waxenpi
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:05 pm

aldo wrote:
waxenpi wrote: Giclees are reproductions, whereas screen prints are new creations.
:| You do know that many screenprinters have automated machines that do all the work? There is no difference if you are talking about a machine making the giclee or screenprint vs a human.
Are you talking about the printing machines or creating the films? I am talking about the artistic process of creating the films used for printing, not the actual process of pulling a squeegee across a screen.
Last edited by waxenpi on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meskell
Art Expert

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:06 pm

Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
aldo
Art Expert

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:09 pm

waxenpi wrote:
aldo wrote:
Are you talking about the printing machines or creating the films? I am talking about the artistic process of creating the films used for printing, not the actual process of pulling a squeegee across a screen.
What's artistically different about creating something on a tablet or computer versus creating the films for a screenprint?
waxenpi
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:14 pm

aldo wrote:
waxenpi wrote:
aldo wrote:
What's artistically different about creating something on a tablet or computer versus creating the films for a screenprint?
Unless the artist is solely a digital artist, Giclees are USUALLY reproductions of original pieces of art. i.e. printed, signed, photos.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:37 pm

dont understand how you call this a giclee when it states that it is hybrid giclee with 3 colour screenprint. need to derail the geddes release if you are making this arguement which already has it's own thread.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
partpat
Art Freak

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:38 pm

bkboy77 wrote:dont understand how you call this a giclee when it states that it is hybrid giclee with 3 colour screenprint. need to derail the geddes release if you are making this arguement which already has it's own thread.

So your saying this poster is 90% poster and 10 % awesome?