Bottleneck Gallery News/Rumors!

General art-related discussion.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:43 am

Should Bottlebux people had received an email alerting them to an early chance at a VAR? I have a bottlebux account and didn't get one (not in spam either). Did you need a certain amount of bottlebux or something?
matttaylordraws
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 am

playa787 wrote:It gives me a No Limit Records album cover vibe.
i'll take that as the greatest of compliments.
glenn1
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:56 am

Thinker wrote:Should Bottlebux people had received an email alerting them to an early chance at a VAR?
YUP
Thinker wrote:I have a bottlebux account and didn't get one (not in spam either). Did you need a certain amount of bottlebux or something?
DOUBT IT
iambillyg
Art Freak

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 am

Juvenile was Cash Money Records.

matowest
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:06 am

acidburn wrote:
matowest wrote:Possible to "trident through Aquaman's head" the Luke hands, Joe?
The piece is exactly how Matt wanted it and we love it. Going off the earlier reserve, thinking many people enjoy it as well.
Fair enough. Don't want to force the issue
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:19 am

matowest wrote:
acidburn wrote:
matowest wrote:Possible to "trident through Aquaman's head" the Luke hands, Joe?
The piece is exactly how Matt wanted it and we love it. Going off the earlier reserve, thinking many people enjoy it as well.
Fair enough. Don't want to force your hand into making changes
ftfy
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 am

ccsmd598 wrote:
matowest wrote:
acidburn wrote:
Fair enough. Don't want to force your hand into making changes
ftfy
Solid fix there
jmagee87
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 am

For whatever reason, as much of a fan of Star Wars I am, there's never been a single poster I've loved for Star Wars. This one actually is the first. I love the reg on this. It's a perfect SW poster IMO
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 am

jmagee87 wrote:For whatever reason, as much of a fan of Star Wars I am, there's never been a single poster I've loved for Star Wars. This one actually is the first. I love the reg on this. It's a perfect SW poster IMO
You have seen Ollys & Struzans right?
jmagee87
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:For whatever reason, as much of a fan of Star Wars I am, there's never been a single poster I've loved for Star Wars. This one actually is the first. I love the reg on this. It's a perfect SW poster IMO
You have seen Ollys & Struzans right?
Yep. I'm talking strictly screenprints, so the Struzan is out in this case. I find Olly's to be great concepts, but ultimately too plain for me. For some reason, no Star Wars prints just have really connected with me. This one just does for whatever reason
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 am

Joe gimme dat vanilla sky
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am

glenn1 wrote:
Thinker wrote:Should Bottlebux people had received an email alerting them to an early chance at a VAR?
YUP
Thinker wrote:I have a bottlebux account and didn't get one (not in spam either). Did you need a certain amount of bottlebux or something?
DOUBT IT
IIRC the way it works is: if you have setup a Bottlebux account and purchased something, then you get the e-mails.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 am

CDSK wrote:
allyouzombies wrote:Really like the image, though there’s a lot of unused negative space at the bottom.
That's my main issue... I assume there was plans for the credit block, but it didn't work as is common with these posters.
This was my first reaction as well. I also think the slash area comes off a little hard to read on the left . If you didn't know that image, it's hard to tell that's part of a blaster because it's not really connected to Leia without the hand and arm showing. I couldn't figure it out on my phone screen, although that is probably not an issue IRL. On the subject of hands, Obi-Wan looks like he's holding his saber pinched between his thumbs :? . I can't tell what's happening there, but something is off. I also find your lack of Millennium Falcon disturbing.
acidburn wrote: Its actually supposed to be more a tribute to the original poster.
I think it does succeed there. I like the overall look.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:38 am

acidburn wrote: Its actually supposed to be more a tribute to the original poster. Looking at it more, I can't even imagine what some of the FB art directors would say if we released this today.

To be fair, this is the original with the credits:

Also, this wasn't even the 'original' poster...the original (after some teasers that predated the release) is the infamous design by Tom Jung with Luke holding the saber up. This one you are talking about is known as Style C poster, which was only intended for international releases long after the initial release in May of 77, not in the US. Prob the most faked SW poster of all time, only 1k originals produced.

Also, FB experts will always sass off, but hard to argue the unequalled merit of the Chantrell OG.

Last edited by wonkabars7 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 am

iambillyg wrote:Juvenile was Cash Money Records.

Post of the day
That's what she said