"scorched earth" policy on returns on cheaper prin

General art-related discussion.
vorphilack
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:03 am

I had my first item damaged in transit last week. I purchased insurance for the buyer (even though he didn't pay for it) and sold at less than cost (less than face on a MINOR dinged rare McCarthty). If he didn't want to file a claim I would refund on confirmation of the destruction of the item...

So he gets the item all f-ed up. I forwarded him my USPS receipt insured for 100. (sold for 30... standard EB price...)

So I figure if he don't want it, and its not worth my money/hassle/time to ship back (and I'll lose my claim if he retapes sending it back to me I'm thinking) plus I have MY minty copy still...

SO.... I say 'either you file the claim. or DESTROY the poster' (gimme pictures) or tear off the corners (# and signature) and mail back to me for a full refund.

Does this sound like a sound practice?... I'm I an extremist?

Whatever happens. The buyer is covered... either Uncle Sam eats this or I willl...
palehighway

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:23 am

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:40 am

I think that you've only got a pair (or three) of options really. Either the buyer decides that they can handle the post-USPS damage (doesn't sound likely) or they can be patient and help with the insurance refund (my first recent one the other party had to wait about a month before the USPS asked for the tube back) or they can return it to you and you refund their $ and you deal with the whole thing. If they really squashed it, shouldn't be hard to get a claim. "Proving" the market price can take a little more.
Tra la la la la...