How do you work out a long distance poster trade?

General art-related discussion.
mhjmhj
New User

Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:26 pm

I want to work out a poster trade witha guy who contacted me for a trade. We can't meet up and neither of us has any comments/feedback here on EB.

I've never even been burnt on a disk trade. It's one thing to risk a few disks but it's completely different send a poster that has significant monetary value in good faith of the other guy being true.

Does anyone have any tips? How can one protect himself from getting ripped off?
I have no reason to suspect any shadiness from this guy, but people can be fooled.

I sent him links to my phishhook, etree and eBay comment pages (all of which are flawless), so he should be able to see I've proven myself trustworthy.

Thanks for your help.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:57 pm

Don't see where this becomes *that* big a deal since I've never done a poster trade or sale in person -- only thru mail and setup via emails & PMs.

The biggest thing for me are to feel comfortable first - if you got a bad feeling, trust it.

Aside from that, make sure you package well - ship it like you would like to receive it. Be sure and insure and use some sort of tracking (insurance in case of damage, tracking so you can verify that it was delivered if they say it wasn't). If you're nervous about it, get additional contact info - phone, references, work #, note from Mom and Dad, etc.
Guess I've been pretty lucky since I haven't had any problems with trades since I started on prints, but I think all collectors tend to be a bit more anal than live show traders (if you can imagine that). And as a fellow transplant from the phishhook world, I'm sure you know where I'm commin' from with that!
Tra la la la la...