Struzan PAN'S LABYRINTH unused art/poster!

General art-related discussion.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Some of you are probably familiar with this amazing image that Drew designed for the film, and some may be also familiar with the story as to why it was never used (its ridiculous), but thought I would start a thread to discuss this amazing image and poster.

The image was supposed to be part of the initial marketing campaign, both domestic and foreign, but the studio scrapped it at the last minute with one exec literally saying it is 'too much like art'. They then used the art for the soundtrack cover design (overseas only, I could be wrong on that though), and the posters that were printed were destroyed.

However some posters that were already printed did make it to an advance/special press screening of Pan's and the small stack of them were literally used in the theater that day. I have no idea how many were used/hung, but probably not many...I wouldn't be shocked if it was under 10-20 to be honest, at most.

My friend Ed who lives the in the UK and runs the AMAZING Film on Paper site (his personal collection and research) managed to acquire one, which is a holy grail in movie poster collector land, to an extent. Here is his general write up, along with pics here:

http://www.filmonpaper.com/posters/pans ... pecial-uk/

I was going through some of my endless tubes today (I have a closet full of literally hundreds of vintage movie posters, its kinda embarrassing), and came across my example and totally forgot I had it, so this was a pleasant surprise, to say the least. When I unrolled it, I instantly remembered how I snagged it: the London source, (a long time film poster dealer), who Ed got his from had a few he was given from the theater and sold them all, and I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time and messaged him quickly that I would take it. I have no idea who has the third. Anyway, mine is not in as good as shape as Ed's but is still in great shape. Perhaps mine was handled and displayed for sure, and his was extra and never hung, who knows.

At any rate, I just took pics earlier today. I blame having two kids after I purchased it as reason to completely forgetting this was rolled up in my closet:

jesseindisguise
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 pm

:drool:
Blake wrote:Always Be Tubing.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Show off.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:45 pm

iambillyg wrote:Show off.
Sorry. I had to. :oops:

It's too amazing to keep rolled up in a dark closet, and is probably the rarest piece I own out of all the posters and prints that I own.
bosephus
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Awesome!
"I'm a backbone shiver and I'm a bundle of joy."
wizzack
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:47 pm

So what's the price?
jlabbate
Art Freak

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:48 pm

I'm pretty sure a small giclee (11x14 maybe) was included with Drew's book
at least it was when I saw them for sale at NYCC
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:48 pm

What a piece of fudge. Where are all the Photoshopped floating heads? Come on.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:50 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:

It's too amazing to keep rolled up in a dark closet, and is probably the rarest piece I own out of all the posters and prints that I own.
lol. I was kidding. That's a really amazing find. Congrats.

Send it to PM to iron out the kinks. With it being in a tube for a while, I'm sure you'll have some troubles getting it flat. Then frame it.

Then sell Metrop to me for like, $200. No reason you should have all the cool fudge to yourself.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:50 pm

jlabbate wrote:I'm pretty sure a small giclee (11x14 maybe) was included with Drew's book
at least it was when I saw them for sale at NYCC
Mini poster came with the DVD as well. And you have the Laminate print as well.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:51 pm

wizzack wrote:So what's the price?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:52 pm

AKA "taking offers".
Last edited by Codeblue on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
zombiedictator
Art Expert

wonkabars7 wrote:
wizzack wrote:So what's the price?
That's a tiny island anyway. You got a deal!
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

iambillyg wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:

lol. I was kidding. That's a really amazing find. Congrats.

Send it to PM to iron out the kinks. With it being in a tube for a while, I'm sure you'll have some troubles getting it flat. Then frame it.

Then sell Metrop to me for like, $200. No reason you should have all the cool fudge to yourself.
Lul, you live in Austin, so I think ultimately you win!

(Unless I get free PB for life...hmmm....)
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Codeblue wrote:AKA "taking offers".
Codeblue wrote:Not really.