The non-poster/print art of Aaron Horkey

General art-related discussion.
xjmjx
Art Expert

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey SJ, I knew what you were getting at, I knew it was a collab, because of the way it's done and put together, it's a really cool package. You say it's only for the purple and not for the black (and that's only limited to 50 too, correct?)?
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:33 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:
I think I may have been responsible for a bit of misinformation with my blog post on this (which is where the picture comes from). As I now understand it, Aaron's only contribution is the lettering on the vellum cover which comes with the purple marble vinyl. The real credit for the awesome album cover work should go to Wes Winship.
xjmjx wrote:Hey SJ, I knew what you were getting at, I knew it was a collab, because of the way it's done and put together, it's a really cool package. You say it's only for the purple and not for the black (and that's only limited to 50 too, correct?)?
Damn - another mistake on my part. According to the discogs listing, there are actually 100 copies with the vellum cover - 50 with black vinyl, 50 with purple vinyl. However, most of the black/puple vinyl run does NOT have a vellum cover.
T.H.C.
ConstantStruggle
Art Expert

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:44 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:
SurfingJeff wrote:
I think I may have been responsible for a bit of misinformation with my blog post on this (which is where the picture comes from). As I now understand it, Aaron's only contribution is the lettering on the vellum cover which comes with the purple marble vinyl. The real credit for the awesome album cover work should go to Wes Winship.
xjmjx wrote:Hey SJ, I knew what you were getting at, I knew it was a collab, because of the way it's done and put together, it's a really cool package. You say it's only for the purple and not for the black (and that's only limited to 50 too, correct?)?
Damn - another mistake on my part. According to the discogs listing, there are actually 100 copies with the vellum cover - 50 with black vinyl, 50 with purple vinyl. However, most of the black/puple vinyl run does NOT have a vellum cover.
I have the purple and its just on a silkscreened cover with no vellum, the lettering/waves are right on the cover.
burritos > Life
Stingers
Art Expert

Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:01 pm

I think the Velum cover was via the pre order, I used to have a purple version with a Velum cover ... I know that the Black vinyl version is the rarest.
deancc
Art Expert

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Stingers wrote:I think the Velum cover was via the pre order, I used to have a purple version with a Velum cover ... I know that the Black vinyl version is the rarest.
I have the purple vinyl with vellum cover. Can't remember if it was pre-order or not. So long ago.
bahns47
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:04 am

I've held on to this random cassette I bought at radio station sidewalk sale back in the day in MPLS... Was dusting off some of my old prints when it finally dawned on me to check to see if the cassette artwork was done by Abuse. Sure 'nuff!

Not the most striking piece of his late 90s work but thought it still may be of interest to some of the Horkey heads out there.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:20 am

That's awesome, cool find!
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
simianfever
Art Expert

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:27 am

Very cool find. Thanks for posting. There is a loose freedom to some of his earlier work that is refreshing to see now and then. Hope that doesn't sound like any kind of indictment of his current output which I obviously love.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2015 1:41 pm

You guys think this sticker is by Aaron?

I couldn't find it in the DB, but the lettering sure looks like his style.
T.H.C.
simianfever
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2015 2:03 pm

I'd honestly be somewhat surprised if it wasn't.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri May 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Short of a hidden "AH" in the hatching or something, I'd have to give that a very strong "probably."
Loobaz
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 08, 2015 2:14 pm

Yep, it looks like there is a little AH in there - just left of the smaller "Flip" on the right hand side.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2015 2:15 pm

SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Loobaz wrote:Yep, it looks like there is a little AH in there - just left of the smaller "Flip" on the right hand side.
Nice find! Wonder if it ever appeared on a deck, or just on stickers.
T.H.C.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri May 08, 2015 2:35 pm

How the drymount did I miss that AH! Damn.