Ai Weiwei news

General art-related discussion.
felixkat
New User

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Grabbed the poster, but now I wish I grabbed the sculpture too... I've only just started collecting prints, and never bought a sculpture before!
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:09 pm

https://amsterdamlightfestival.com/nl/o ... d-edition/

With the work called 'thinline', Ai Weiwei wants visitors to point out figurative and literal boundaries. He gives the theme 'Existential' next to a cultural as well as a political charge. "With the theme, we want to stimulate visitors in a positive way to reflect on what people unite and what role light plays in it," said Booij. With a length of 6.5 kilometers, the artwork is the longest object ever shown during the festival.

In addition to this special lighting art, Ai Weiwei developed a miniature of this work especially for the Amsterdam Light Festival; 'Thinline, limited edition'. A limited edition of 100 pieces is made of the same material as its great work. The yield of 'thinline, limited edition' contributes to the realization of the festival object.

'thinline, limited edition'

Over 30 works of art have been sold by pre-subscription. Interested parties who pay before November 25 are invited to an exclusive Meet & Greet with Ai Weiwei on November 29, 2017. In advance, the price per artwork is € 2,500, -. After 30 November, the work will be sold for € 3,500, -. All prices are including VAT and excluding shipping costs.

The size of 'thinline, limited edition' is 60 x 45 x 15 centimeters. The works of art are signed and delivered with a certificate of authenticity. For more information on 'thinline, limited edition' please contact Jorna Wierts, art sales coordinator, via jorna@amsterdamlightfestival.com.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Just got shipping on my first of the odyssey prints
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Anyone else receive their Odyssey print yet? Mine just arrived. They did the ole fold the kraft paper at the ends in the rolled poster trick, so mine likely had creased edges before it ever went in the tube.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Got one if mine on Wednesday and it was all good. Crushing the edges of the paper is so dumb though
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:53 pm

dwlfennell wrote:Anyone else receive their Odyssey print yet? Mine just arrived. They did the ole fold the kraft paper at the ends in the rolled poster trick, so mine likely had creased edges before it ever went in the tube.
I also got mine last week and it was damaged by the packing job. amateur hour. I have emails in to the company but not moving too quick.. sculpture came better packed. anybody else have better luck dealing with matchfire people?

For others who got the middle finger sculpture, is there a signature on the top of the middle box? the one with graphics and fence printed on another face? Wondering if this is printed or i got a signed box.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Received mine luckily all good, no issues. Sorry to hear of th damaged prints, are they replacing?
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 pm

chevyav53 wrote:Sorry to hear of the damaged prints, are they replacing?
Just received a return label and they'll be replacing. Nice customer service.

I nicely suggested that the whole crimping the kraft paper in was probably detrimental to the print, so hopefully that will change. We'll see.
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:31 pm

dwlfennell wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:Sorry to hear of the damaged prints, are they replacing?
Just received a return label and they'll be replacing. Nice customer service.

I nicely suggested that the whole crimping the kraft paper in was probably detrimental to the print, so hopefully that will change. We'll see.
Right on, I received a return label but no definite words about replacing, no note at all with it, a little odd.
I'm gonna wait for some confirmation before shipping back the print, thanks for mentioning the kraft paper, i nearly referred them to this site for tips.
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 am

I only received a label too, but e-mailed them just to confirm they were replacing. They responded and confirmed that a replacement/tracking will be sent out once the damaged one is received.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:47 am

The kraft being too long for the tube is really their only issue other than sub yazoo level tubes. I've seen much worse packing. Mine had a couple minor corner dings. Not even worth sending back. Hopefully ya'll aren't being too stamp collector about this fudge.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Ploppi
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:03 am

SoulMates wrote:He is a trickster.

"I first heard about Ai Weiwei when I read about his porcelain sunflower seeds causing respiratory issues in visitors to his free art installation at the Tate Modern, London. He became internationally known after working with Herzog & de Meuron on the Bird’s Nest for the Beijing Olympics. He caused a scandal in the art world when he took photographs of himself in the process of breaking a 2000 year old Chinese urn from the Han dynasty that was an archaeological treasure."
I couldn't agree more. He is the CNN political poster boy. Riding the globalist SJW propaganda machine.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:38 pm

Loving the statue. Perfect size.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:55 pm

acidburn wrote:Loving the statue. Perfect size.
I bet it is :groucho:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.