Rare Owsley Stanley Silver Belt Buckle

General art-related discussion.
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 pm

partpat wrote:Thanks Dubber!! I talked to one of my friends who has several of each version bought directly through Owsley through the years and he had never seen or heard of this either.
Just trying to help :cheers:
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:29 pm

From Bear to me before he passed:
There is no such thing as an 'original 1983 buckle. The date Dec 1983 is the copyright date, and is on all buckles, in fact every GD buckles from the very first ones in spring of 1984 have been cast from waxes made in a single seven cavity rubber mold and are identical in every detail- other than the cavity ID of 1 through 7 in the center (equal numbers of each have been cast).

That said:

All prices are in US dollars.

I have gotten into a pinch by not slowly bringing my prices up over the years, while the costs have continuously risen, and have this year taken a jump, due to the very high price of copper- and this puts me in a bind. Perhaps it is no longer reasonable to offer belt buckles as signed fine art castings.

If people continue to want them at a price which reflects today's costs- then we are ok, otherwise I will just have to leave off making them.

Sun and Moon buckles are available in two sizes, 50 mm and 60 mm for the Sun (across the points) 47 mm and 57 mm for the Moon. There is only one size, 55 mm for the GD. Moons and GD are available in silver as well as bronze.

From time to time I handcast a few Suns and small, cutout GD buckles in 18k gold ($9500- I have none at the present time). I also cast occasional unique buckles in silver-- like geckos, faces, moons, etc. Also pieces such as owl rings, drizards and other motifs. All of these are cast by myself, in my studio. Some of them are depicted on the site. General price for small silver castings is $3800, gold price depends on the alloy and design. I have other castings, such as 'Lucy', a 22k gold lady brooch with a diamond. There are still some of my limited edition larger works available, such as MARS I, edition of 15, only four are left- price (next sale) is $7500. Also Pluto, edition of 15, 10 are left, price is $8000. As is usual in the art market, these limited edition sculptures, as well as the Bob Thomas prints, will rise in price as the edition approaches being sold out.

Foundry buckles:

The cost of metal has risen sharply and I must finally raise my prices.

The bronze GD buckles are $800 and the silver version $1450. The Sun and the Moon buckles in bronze (in either size) are $650. The smaller silver Moon is $1100, the larger $1400. Sun buckle is not available in silver. Shipping fee is $60. It will take about 4-7 days for the shipment to reach you after payment is verified here. The money is transferred by international bank telex.

Enamels:

Small cutout (skull) GD medallion, enamel on .9999 gold with heart and (partial) rose back is $5000, the plain back with side panels but no winged sun disk is $5500. Only one full version with winged sundisk and heart & rose back pieces is available at present, $7000. I will have more available later this year- more blanks have been struck. Suns are available both plain back and H&R no enamel for $5000 and $5500. Enamel w/H&R is $6500. I have an enameled .9999 gold Moon for $10,000.and one 22 mm .9995 platinum moon- This is very expensive and a difficult metal to work-$18,000 I have 25 mm die-struck moon medallions, flat or dished back in .9999 silver for $4000.

I have a few other enamels of various designs including sun and moon and a couple of hand carved, Tufted Puffin and Lady with a Rose.

I strongly recommend all enamels be worn on a Chinese/Thai style chain, preferably around 45 cm in length. These chains are either 23k (Thai) or 24K (Chinese) and are closed by a special 'W'-shaped hook. The jump ring fits in the middle of the W and thus is prevented from sliding along the chain. The piece is pure gold and quite soft from the kiln, the jump ring is 18k very hard-drawn. This means the wear is taken by the ring, not the piece. This is due to abrasive dirt embedding in the softer metal, protecting it while grinding away at the harder metal. IF a ring becomes worn, I will send a replacement on request- the correct one. Beware,jewellers only have rather soft rings which will damage the piece- in the worst case I have seen, a soft jump ring was soldered shut and the piece it self wore through and was so damaged it could not be easily repaired. I have a stock of chains, they are one baht Thai weight, (~15 gm). I sell them at the current listed price of (one troy oz) gold.

Much of the work posted on the site has been sold, but generally can be reproduced- (Horse with moon and southern cross has been reproduced seven times). In each case there are small differences- I keep the design as pic or a simple outline sketch, each 'replica' is then carved freehand. If you see a piece you are interested in on my site which is not mentioned here, please ask.

The fast disappearing Bob Thomas hand-printed and coloured woodcut GD logo prints, which were done in a single edition of 50 shortly before Bob's untimely demise are close to all sold, there are, so far as I can figure- only about 4 left. Next one (this one) to be sold will be $7000..

Most of the people who write ask about this rare, highly collectible piece of art actually have no idea what value it represents, nor any real intention to buy it. When I quote them this absurdly low price, they usually don't even bother to reply.

So far as I am aware, this is the only available work by this amazing artist who so strongly influenced me, my art, and the imagery of the Grateful Dead which is offered for sale. None of the people who own any of Bob's other art, either paintings, woodcarvings/turnings or bagpipes and flutes, are willing to sell. This edition cannot be repeated- the block was destroyed. The last remaining examples will rise in price as each is sold.
:cautiously removes pants:
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:30 pm

I'll give you two bud lights for the buckle.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
guapo007
New User

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:08 pm

I have two of those buckles.
I spent alot of time w/ Bear,
and know his work inside & out.

Our family has a large collection of Bear's art, not buckles mind you.
kvshow2
New User

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Never seen that style of buckle before...very cool.
JPARTHEAD

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Most Of the above is true... I got the same email from Owsley...exact same! Have a silver buckle that I got as a gift. The last I heard; Fall of 2012, there was only one original silver buckle left. I imagine it has sold by now. As for that bronzey at the beginning of the thread... WHOA! That may be an early prototype from what I've been told. Owsley said the "egyptian wing" was added by Bob Thomas after the first few... Hmmmmmmmmmm?
drymounting Sweet Regardless!!! If It's still around I'll send you a Grand for it!!!!
Love & Light
platinumbear
New User

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:48 pm

If interested check this out on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Owsley-Bear-Sta ... 3f22e5b763
buckleup22
New User

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:30 am

I got my #5 in 1984 and gave it to a dear childhood friend in '85. After thirty years it has recently come back into my possession. Very early casting; checkout the fingerprints.

http://imgur.com/gallery/MK46Y/new
Fuckingroovin
New User

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:00 pm

So just to give you guys a ""deadheads"" up I have #5 0f the 1983 tour owsley stanley buckle and belt that he wore him self so if anyone has done cool information on this thing for me id be hella happy...my old man passed away and it was giving to me by my brother so it's kinda neary my heart but I have a mortgage to catch up after his passing and it must be passed on to continue touring and being in the seen where it needs to be so let me know what yall think I can get out of it and where