Laurent Durieux - Appreciation & Discussion

General art-related discussion.
dave3412
Art Enthusiast

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:07 pm

IWish wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:58 pm
I stopped following most artists on FB, except for a handful-gig poster artists. I despise the groupie atmosphere over there. Same fudge in bag making groups.
Agree. The groupie vibe is toxic. The LD group is the worst by far. I broomed that group months ago.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:41 am

The comments are incredible, they completely disregard your issue and insert their own praise. It's like they don't even know what they're doing is so stupid, I can't believe people like that exist sometimes. Who gives a F--- if they had a great experience with the team, that doesn't take away that they were trying to charge you shipping TWICE. Then when you didn't go for it they canceled your order and kept the original shipping/didn't reimburse you. But hey, one time I ordered a print and they shipped it to me on time so like your complaint is moot!
dundun
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:59 am

dave3412 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:07 pm
IWish wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:58 pm
I stopped following most artists on FB, except for a handful-gig poster artists. I despise the groupie atmosphere over there. Same fudge in bag making groups.
Agree. The groupie vibe is toxic. The LD group is the worst by far. I broomed that group months ago.
IMO this killed the movie poster scene. It's all commission groups that have long been booked up and the d!ckheads who are in them act like they're holding gold. Most of the art has really gone downhill since these artist are left to art direct their own stuff without someone like Rob giving them good direction. I have hope for Mutant tho, but I'm pretty much done with Movie posters unless it's an all time favorite film.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:42 pm

eh. i dont think that the lack of art direction is what makes commissions detrimental. its more so they just take so long, and are more about hype and invitation only stuff. the people who run them do consider themselves kings of very small domains. when they are just slightly organized people who sent a few emails and collected some payments. which is something anyone can do with minimal amount of focus and organization

its like the official art thats out there, some of its good. some of its not.

im not saying more official posters dont have art direction, but i think the notion your floating is that its more than commissions, and its probably about the same.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:08 pm

I've been seeing the best movie poster art on the FB groups. Easily some of my favorite prints have come from FB in the last 2 years. Everyone seems chill, very nice, cooperative, patient.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:21 pm

Everyone is chill? We must be in different fb groups.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:41 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
im not saying more official posters dont have art direction, but i think the notion your floating is that its more than commissions, and its probably about the same.
That's a very naive and odd take. I mean you can't compare an experienced creative team of art directors and graphic designers collaborating with an artist vs someone who you just noted is commonly (not always) without any experience in that field who just project manages and, at best, hires a designer to create typography separately after the artwork is finished.

There's no question a professionally managed project vs a hobby are two VERY different things and quite often it shows. How many excellent commissions can you name vs some of the best illustrated posters of the last 10-20 years from Mondo alone?
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:40 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:41 pm
35mmpaul wrote:
That's a very naive and odd take. I mean you can't compare an experienced creative team of art directors and graphic designers collaborating with an artist vs someone who you just noted is commonly (not always) without any experience in that field who just project manages and, at best, hires a designer to create typography separately after the artwork is finished.

There's no question a professionally managed project vs a hobby are two VERY different things and quite often it shows. How many excellent commissions can you name vs some of the best illustrated posters of the last 10-20 years from Mondo alone?
i mean, i've run a commission, have friends who do many commissions, most commissions i've been in take feedback and give to artists, friends who run galleries, who all talk about their process of notes, revisions, etc etc.

what im saying is, the process is similar. and that sometimes art put out by both commissions and galleries have probably about the same averages in terms of 'good' art and 'bad' art.

to say that just because someone has a gallery, and a business card that says they are an 'art director' doesn't automatically mean that the output is going to miraculously be 'better'.

the comment i was making was in reference to the notion that commissions 'killed the poster scene' and the 'art has gone downhill since artists are left to art direct'. if anything THAT is a naive and simplified view of the poster scene.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:02 pm

i just think many people in our hobby put an inflated sense of prestige on the notion of what 'art directing' actually means and is in practice.

when in the end every project both official and unofficial have a variety of reasons and limitations that can allow posters to be good or bad. thats all.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:17 pm

Kramerica wrote:
I'm in the MFing Genre Screen Printing group and Cosa Di Carta. I've just yet to see anyone be a jerk to members, the artist, or about the final product. But I also only go on FB to check payments or updates on prints, never to converse with anyone.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:33 pm

MFing Genre Screen Printing group
How is this chill when the name is already screaming at me?
cotis
Art Expert

Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:34 pm

fantasticninja wrote:
Kramerica wrote:
I'm in the MFing Genre Screen Printing group and Cosa Di Carta. I've just yet to see anyone be a jerk to members, the artist, or about the final product. But I also only go on FB to check payments or updates on prints, never to converse with anyone.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:35 pm

acidburn wrote:
i just wouldn't invite your mom to the group is all.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:42 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:35 pm
acidburn wrote:
i just wouldn't invite your mom to the group is all.
is there a MFING Broadway Shows for 85% off group?
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:52 pm

cotis wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:34 pm
fantasticninja wrote:
Kramerica wrote:
Haha..yeah...haha..what? I'm lost. I guess I just don't see the rude people.