Stout Discussion - fmr: tyler stout posters are going insane

General art-related discussion.

Postby hunterjax on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:33 pm

HairyHood wrote:Has anyone seen a preview of Stout's lunar calendar for this year?

not yet . . . but usually those are my favorite pieces of his each year. Like his GP, much more interesting than his recent film prints.

But I really do like this Isle of Dogs - I sort of feel the title treatment disappointment, but for whatever reason I like this a LOT more than FMF (maybe because of the colors?)

Undecided on if I like the reg or var better.
User avatar
hunterjax
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3769
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am
_____________
RambosRemodeler wrote:.........You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby SPAC04 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:34 pm

hunterjax wrote:But I really do like this Isle of Dogs - I sort of feel the title treatment disappointment, but for whatever reason I like this a LOT more than FMF (maybe because of the colors?)


for me it's a white boarder (even tho there is light graphics on the border of this one like his Goonies), when Stout posters have full bleed color it makes them seem busier imo, If FmF had all white border i feel the composition would feel more cohesive. But i am just a fan/collector only informed by my own opinion.
User avatar
SPAC04
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2055
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: New York

Postby lebantz on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Reg indeed. Why the fudge with the colors on the variant. I know variants are supposed to look uglier, but there are so many better palettes to be used. Maybe he was pressured.
User avatar
lebantz
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Postby SPAC04 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 pm

lebantz wrote:Reg indeed. Why the fudge with the colors on the variant. I know variants are supposed to look uglier, but there are so many better palettes to be used. Maybe he was pressured.


Image

SPAC04 wrote:Anyone notice the new nss numbers on bottom ? 1/22/78 & 1/25/12 as opposed to 4/19/04 and 7/17/06. I know he used to use his own birthday on the right and first born on the left. A memorial possibly ?

prob Sarah's BD now that i think about it. Anyway, i think this is his best cinema work in a while. Good luck to those goin for it.
User avatar
SPAC04
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2055
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: New York

Postby HairyHood on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:33 pm

lebantz wrote: I know variants are supposed to look uglier

lol, righteous.
User avatar
HairyHood
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:37 pm
Location: VA

Postby DickButt on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:40 pm

SPAC04 wrote:
lebantz wrote:Reg indeed. Why the fudge with the colors on the variant. I know variants are supposed to look uglier, but there are so many better palettes to be used. Maybe he was pressured.


Image

SPAC04 wrote:Anyone notice the new nss numbers on bottom ? 1/22/78 & 1/25/12 as opposed to 4/19/04 and 7/17/06. I know he used to use his own birthday on the right and first born on the left. A memorial possibly ?

prob Sarah's BD now that i think about it. Anyway, i think this is his best cinema work in a while. Good luck to those goin for it.


Total guess but I'm thinking it's maybe 2 of his dog's birthdays. One from childhood, one now.
User avatar
DickButt
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6830
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 pm
Location: NYC

Postby FloB on Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 am

lebantz wrote:Reg indeed. Why the fudge with the colors on the variant. I know variants are supposed to look uglier, but there are so many better palettes to be used. Maybe he was pressured.


He uses that gold/brownish palette quite often on his variants.

Never heard of that movie. But despite that, the composition is way too busy, even for a Stout.
FloB
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:28 pm
Location: Austria

Postby mike123230 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 pm

FloB wrote:
lebantz wrote:Reg indeed. Why the fudge with the colors on the variant. I know variants are supposed to look uglier, but there are so many better palettes to be used. Maybe he was pressured.


He uses that gold/brownish palette quite often on his variants.

Never heard of that movie. But despite that, the composition is way too busy, even for a Stout.


Even the article that premiered the print referred to it as an assault on the eyes.
User avatar
mike123230
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5572
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby tweetick on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:25 pm

I love a Tstout assault on my eyes.
User avatar
tweetick
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Postby SPAC04 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:07 pm

tweetick wrote:I love a Tstout assault on my eyes.

I do as well but i can understand the criticisms from a compositional standpoint as animated Anderson films provide such an abundance of material that there is no way to not cram characters and moments into the poster, even if it muddies the overall composition to my eyes (esp with the dead center title block).

On another note I noticed with Broken Press, in the Kendrick what was gold in the JPEG looked like normal Tyler gold inks, but in hand those inks are much more yellow. makes me curious as to how the golds on this variant will look when printed as this is his first cinema poster not printed by D&L.

DickButt wrote:Total guess but I'm thinking it's maybe 2 of his dog's birthdays. One from childhood, one now.


Not a bad guess with the content of the film /poster^, wonder if it's the new norm or a one off.
Finally saw the film, really enjoyed it.
User avatar
SPAC04
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2055
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: New York

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:25 pm

SPAC04 wrote:
tweetick wrote:I love a Tstout assault on my eyes.

I do as well but i can understand the criticisms from a compositional standpoint as animated Anderson films provide such an abundance of material that there is no way to not cram characters and moments into the poster, even if it muddies the overall composition to my eyes (esp with the dead center title block).

On another note I noticed with Broken Press, in the Kendrick what was gold in the JPEG looked like normal Tyler gold inks, but in hand those inks are much more yellow. makes me curious as to how the golds on this variant will look when printed as this is his first cinema poster not printed by D&L.


Broken Press also did his Fantastic Mr. Fox.
User avatar
jkw3000
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 19553
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Image
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby SPAC04 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
Broken Press also did his Fantastic Mr. Fox.


Good point :pint: , they also did Andre and those Alien bills and those golds came out perfect. Disregard that comment lol.
User avatar
SPAC04
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2055
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: New York

Postby jkw3000 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:30 am

Full run wasn't at the show as I think Tyler's usual deal of like at least half the run for his sale still applied. Both prints sold out before night's end, if there are any more allotments from Spoke-Art it's not a sure thing for the gallery show.
User avatar
jkw3000
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 19553
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Image
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby christorge2 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:15 am

jkw3000 wrote:Full run wasn't at the show as I think Tyler's usual deal of like at least half the run for his sale still applied. Both prints sold out before night's end, if there are any more allotments from Spoke-Art it's not a sure thing for the gallery show.

i heard Spoke saved some for today.
User avatar
christorge2
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:40 pm
Image

Postby Jpup on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:26 am

IMO the colors on the variant are much better in person then the pics released online... I will try to get some pics of both the reg and var later today...
Jpup
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: CT

PreviousNext

Return to Art Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 247fart69, acidburn, ArchibaldTuttle, ccsmd598, duckboi14, finneganm, Gbanek, showbeagle, SPAC04 and 31 guests

cron