Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:41 pm

charter wrote:Another price increase on 12X16 or am I mistaken?
Yup
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 pm

dasponyboy wrote:
Yup
Don't see the reason for a price increase. Seems like a cash grab. Maybe if they were more limited I could see the justification but not for a timed edition.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:21 pm

#inflation #greedymondo #datmitchellhypedoe
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Kramerica wrote:
dasponyboy wrote:
Yup
Don't see the reason for a price increase. Seems like a cash grab. Maybe if they were more limited I could see the justification but not for a timed edition.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :clap:
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
applehead
Art Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Maybe they got bend over on the licensing? Idk. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but, who knows. I dont
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Kramerica wrote:
dasponyboy wrote:
Yup
Chewie was the same size as Groot and was $60 instead of $75 as well
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 pm

applehead wrote:Maybe they got bend over on the licensing? Idk. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but, who knows. I dont
Thought that may be the case as well, but with the amount of product they push for MCU (prints, pins, stouts) I think this is just a cash grab. I thought $55 was a great price considering... they are timed giclee 12x16s with 4 month shipping times. This is just a cash grab.

Anytime a new Mitchell drops I'm reminded at that time Putnam said commissions and unlicensed stuff may prevent artists from working with companies and being essentially banned, meanwhile they've been riding Mike's coattails since that first portrait show of unlicensed work. Huge timed editions are a lot more lucrative than their standard runs of 200 and something. Darth alone probably pulled in a $250k.

Therefore, I assume they will continually raise the prices on these until they price the casuals out of collecting them.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 pm

EgoDeath wrote:Anytime a new Mitchell drops I'm reminded at that time Putnam said commissions and unlicensed stuff may prevent artists from working with companies and being essentially banned, meanwhile they've been riding Mike's coattails since that first portrait show of unlicensed work.

Not sure if this is the thread you're referring to, but I remember feeling bad for this artist. It was a good looking Iron Giant poster...the guy had talent. Mondo had the IG license at the time...never understood why they didn't pickup his work for a Mondo release.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 6#p1234096
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 pm

EgoDeath wrote:
applehead wrote:Maybe they got bend over on the licensing? Idk. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but, who knows. I dont
Anytime a new Mitchell drops I'm reminded at that time Putnam said commissions and unlicensed stuff may prevent artists from working with companies and being essentially banned.
And where did you think they picked up Ise and Matt Tobin from... unlicensed private commissions. Mitch is one man who is entitled to his opinion but at some point you cannot ignore talent and skill.
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Buckhammer wrote:Mitch is one man who is entitled to his opinion but at some point you cannot ignore talent and skill.
I feel like once you get to Mitch's level of experience, you sort of graduate past mere speculative opinion.
So it goes...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:22 pm

You are ignoring the point of that statement which is clients who own that IP will blackball artists. Not the gallery doing it.

It's as if they are a business and want to make stuff people want to buy. Crazy.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Would love to know what clients are scouring the commish game blackballing artists. Disney has a reputation for it, but it appears that Greedo is to SWxMM as Loki is to...

...alI I meant was gouging for giclees is funny.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 pm

35mmpaul wrote:You are ignoring the point of that statement which is clients who own that IP will blackball artists. Not the gallery doing it.

It's as if they are a business and want to make stuff people want to buy. Crazy.
Paul gets it

So it goes...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:14 pm

broken record here. But giclees are just as expensive if not more expensive than screen printing. depending on paper, inks, and sizes. and when your edition size is in the thousands it costs.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Blackballing happens. It's just not a be-all end-all every-studio-has-the-same-method-of-handling-it sort of thing. The whole point is that there is a risk - it can absolutely work out, but it'd be faulty to assume that there's no chance somebody may bring the hammer down at some point. But I'm just a random a-hole so whatevs.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.