Framed Moss Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
punch
Art Expert

Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:03 am

That rocks.
Nemesis01
Art Expert

Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:45 pm

Hey guys, so I got my mononoke and totoro prints framed up today but when I got home and unpacked them I was a bit disappointed. As you can see in the photo below the mononoke frame is slightly larger then the totoro as the framer took it upon themselves to show the signature and number which I did not specifically ask for...now I am not sure if I should just live with the slight difference in size or go back and get them to redo it :\ ...is it common practice to show the signature and number and what are your guys opinions do you guys really try to make your framing as symetrical as possible? The framing place is like an hour drive from me damnit!
totoro_mononoke.jpg
GatorsCanes
Art Expert

Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:48 pm

^ If the print is signed, you should show the signature IMO. Just hang the Totoro centered with Mononoke (I imagine the difference on top and bottom is negligible). No one will notice. I wouldn't be upset.
NEVER PAY VIA PAYPAL GIFT. NEVER PAY FRIENDS/FAMILY. PAY THE FEES YOURSELF, THE 3% IS WORTH IT TO NOT BE SCAMMED
kryptonite
Art Expert

Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:40 pm

That would drive me nuts. I'd have them redo it. Clearly this was intended to match, and he should have at least asked before proceeding.
LarryForsyth
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:58 pm

kryptonite wrote:That would drive me nuts. I'd have them redo it. Clearly this was intended to match, and he should have at least asked before proceeding.
Yup, couldn't agree more. Go back, stand your ground and get it the way you want it.
bert
Art Expert

Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:12 pm

Are you going to hang them next to each other? If not, I'd be fine with them as they are.
Nemesis01
Art Expert

Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:20 pm

I was actually planning to hang them pretty close together on the same wall as I wanted a Ghibli theme or at the very least an olly wall. I am actually quite surprised I wasn't asked about the change as well but I guess most people who have signed prints like to show them off? I had a feeling something might go wrong when the owner and guy I talked to via email from the shop wasn't the one taking care of me but one of the lackeys there lol
kryptonite
Art Expert

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:25 pm

Don’t go in pointing fingers, but rather question him softly. Along the lines of…

I’m thrilled with the job you did on these prints. They look quite nice together, don’t they? As they are of the same series, the matching frames tie them together nicely – wouldn’t you agree?

Given they are framed the same, don’t you think it’s a bit odd the one is an inch or two taller than the other? (If he brings up sig...) But placed side by side, it looks a bit odd – doesn’t it?

Ideally, he'll be saying yes, yes...and you'll already have him in an affirmative direction (assuming you don't come off oddly, saying it.) He'll be much more likely to conclude adjusting the one, even if he bitterly opposed it beforehand.

If he doesn’t come to the conclusion himself. Continue with – given they are two in the same, the inconsistency is quite bothersome to me, and I question why it was done – or at least, why a question wasn’t asked – despite the only difference being a signature. Could you please adjust the one so the frames appear as the series they are?
Dfa
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:37 pm

I had a similar issue. In the end I spaced them out, made a slightly smaller spirited away and split the difference between the Totoro and Mononoke. It's not perfect but I think it turned out alright.

fitz
Art Expert

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:23 am

it wouldnt bother me, I would just adjust where I was hanging them so that it made sense to have one a little higher or lower than the other - but then all my stuff at the moment is just sort of chucked on the wall with a view to sorting it all out "at some point" :lol:
Dante0203
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:30 am

I would of definitely made the frames the same for consistency, just altered the widths of the mounts to suit
Nemesis01
Art Expert

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks for all the advice and help guys.

So I contacted the framing place and they offered to adjust the matte size and frame of the smaller one to match the larger signed mononoke frame. Is this how you guys would handle it or would you ask them to make the mononoke smaller and omit showing the signature?
KSUvet
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:04 am

Nemesis01 wrote:Thanks for all the advice and help guys.

So I contacted the framing place and they offered to adjust the matte size and frame of the smaller one to match the larger signed mononoke frame. Is this how you guys would handle it or would you ask them to make the mononoke smaller and omit showing the signature?
I think that is the right way to go, unless you preferred to mat out the white border completely. The only other thing I'd clarify is how they're adjusting it. If you want them to match I'd think it would be best to leave a bottom weight with the white border like on Mononoke vs. keeping the same even border and just enlarging the mat and frame. Hopefully that makes sense.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
middayshadows
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:56 am

Agree ^
SuperRich
Art Enthusiast

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:18 am

Pleased my signed Tortuga from TB is now with the Minute Walts :clap:
image.jpg