Reclaimed Frames

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
shoeless
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:46 pm

srdzevon wrote:This thread just got good!
eevildee
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks all! :pint:

I've got another 12-15 frames already done it's just finding the $$$ for glass and mattes to get them up on my walls. I've got frames ready for: Gaping Maw, Small Art Prints 1 & 2, Hoarfrost, Over the Atlas, MWH, a Bratrud, some Baizley(s), some Rafa Jenn(s) and some Drew Millward inks.
ImagexImagexImagexImagexImage T.H.C.
TOTM
Art Expert

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:24 am

Great thread! Nothing more I like than to go trawling through second hand shoppes, hunting for old frames & the joy of finding an antique oval frame, well, can't be beat!
Superb wall srdzevon, very nice display you got going & that will make a choice addition to it. If you're unsure on the glossy finish of your last frame, you could always rub it back very lightly with some very fine steel wool. Should take off that shine & can make for a mighty fine effect.
Some really amazing examples there eevildee, am truly transfixed by that first piece, not sure but gotta be a Horkey right? Anyways, sweet stuff man, can't wait to see the rest...
Here's some of my recycled work, customer brought in artwork to be reframed, pulled it down to find this enlightening, vintage print being used as a backing. Didn't want it back & instead of throwing it away, decided to put this nice & gaudy existing frame that a previous customer had brought in & left to be discarded & voila! It's a miracle...
Jeebus....jpg
This is a self portrait my ex did & gave to me when I left Japan. Drove past this hand made & painted work of art in itself, on the side of the road, couldn't pass it by & went back to pick it up. Was usually being used & probably made for a mirror, took that out, put in me lady & to good use...
Real heavy drymounter too, the frame that is!
Yumi....jpg
Stumbled across this beauty at a garage sale, went for a princely sum of $3. A bit banged up but restored it by sanding it back, then giving it a hand finished wash. Didn't even have to chop it down, a perfect fit for dirty ol' Nick...
Nick....jpg
More please!
murdock
Art Expert

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:33 am

Hehe, I was wondering, when we'd start seeing you in here... 8)
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
srdzevon
Art Expert

Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Let these last few posts slip by some how.

Those look great TOTM! Yeah, i'm really loving making these old frames new. Plus it helps me be the cheap bastard that I am and still get some art on the walls!
ImageX5 Hodor Image
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Wed May 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Wow. That plighting is awesome.
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon May 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Picked up a frame for Eryops Rising today at a junk store. I think this one's going to be pretty crazy when i'm finished with it. As long as I don't screw it up :lol:
ImageX5 Hodor Image
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Mon May 21, 2012 2:54 pm

srdzevon wrote:Picked up a frame for Eryops Rising today at a junk store. I think this one's going to be pretty crazy when i'm finished with it. As long as I don't screw it up :lol:
What color is it?
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon May 21, 2012 2:57 pm

smellmysocks73 wrote:
srdzevon wrote:Picked up a frame for Eryops Rising today at a junk store. I think this one's going to be pretty crazy when i'm finished with it. As long as I don't screw it up :lol:
What color is it?
Pink
ImageX5 Hodor Image
Baker
Art Expert

Mon May 21, 2012 6:12 pm

What color is it going to be
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon May 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Not sure yet. I'll wait and see what turns me on. I
ImageX5 Hodor Image
Baker
Art Expert

Mon May 21, 2012 6:20 pm

srdzevon wrote:Not sure yet. I'll wait and see what turns me on. I
Judging from your collection, im guessing there will definitely be some black in it. Seems like your personal favorite.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
eevildee
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 pm

As posted in the Framed Horkey thread....

New to the collection of frame-ups, Hoarfrost along with Small Art Prints 1 & 2. All with an 8-ply charcoal matte.

ImagexImagexImagexImagexImage T.H.C.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Those are all KICK ASS dee!

Here's my latest junk store find.

Nice wood frame with some weird lattice insert thingy and a textured aluminum backing somethingorother. Total Frankenstein frame.
Probably had a picture of Jesus in it at one time.
Just almost perfect for a little Horkey I've been wanting to frame for a while now.

I painted the whole thing flat black, then sanded down the high spots to show a little of the radiator paint underneath. Then painted the aluminum backing piece gloss black. One thin mat, some glass and a backing board later...

Eryops Rising has always had sort of a religious feel to me. Not sure why, but I'm reminded of the paintings of the Caucasian Lord and savior, glowing halo above, arms stretched out before the little children. Frame seems like a good fit to me.

Here's a detail shot for those keeping score.

Last edited by srdzevon on Mon May 28, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
noweyesee
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Wow man thats perfect!