Reclaimed Frames

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
peacedog
Art Expert

Tue May 29, 2012 7:42 pm

srdzevon wrote:
Here's my latest junk store find.

Outstanding! :clap:
TOTM
Art Expert

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:05 pm

srdzevon wrote:
TOTM wrote:Haha! srdzevon, that frame is sooo over the top & kitschy but damn, does it work... I looove it! What a score and a most supreme restoration job mate, it's real easy to go to far when rubbing back a painted frame but that is some fine, perfect work, well done!
Absolutely agree with you on the print too, so much going on in this little gem, one of me favourite pieces for sure... Dig the religious overtones too & also feel there is some kind of other worldly thingee going on too, almost like an alien abduction aspect about it, what with the discarded shoe left lying in the plowed cornfield 'n all! Or it just could be that sheet of blotter acid I ate 13 years ago... Damn probes!
Anyways, sooopurrb work my friend, can't wait to see the next one... Keep 'em coming!
Yeah it is over the top! I don't really like ornate frames :lol:

My original plan was to find one of those metal holographic Jesus pictures with the light above it. Like this

But when you're looking for something like that, it seems they never pop up. I think the one I did fine turned out pretty snazzy though.
Thanks for the nice words about it. It looks great in the photo, but looks even better in real life I think.
^Begging forgiveness for the re-quoting, sacrilegious I know...
Ohhh man, I lurve those, they're the one's that plug in right? I done seen the light!
This one is a sweet 3D bubble, hologram type thingee which I reframed...
Supper hologram....jpg
Here's some more second hand store scores which I saved & restored...
Our Mother of Perpetual Help....jpg
Babby Jeebus....jpg
TOTM
Art Expert

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Last Supper....jpg
Couple of other finds...
Awesome vintage print on canvas in original frame which I managed to salvage somewhat, a favourite!
Sir Gerald Kelly....jpg
Another road side pick up, sweet velvet painting of a polynesian princess & reframed...
Some velvet morning....jpg
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Looking for advice. I have a molding I like but don't like the color and am thinking about painting it. Do you recommend brush or spray painting? I don't have much experience in either. The frame is from American Frame and is a wood core with a plastic/molded face.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
srdzevon
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Ive only used spray paint myself. It seems to work well for me. Basically I use whatever I've got lying around. Bought a few specific colors, but mostly black. Just do light coats in a sweeping motion. Then another light coat, then another. Dont try to cover everything at once our youll get drips. Probably a YouTube video on how to I bet. Maybe I should watch it too.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
TOTM
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Yup, srdzevon is on it, brush or spray, both work & give the same result! Black I tend to spray & white or a 1/2 wash, I like to brush... Most important thing is not to slap it on, you'll get runs & drips, resulting in a patchy, uneven finish. You want to build up the coats, layer upon layer... With a steady hand, apply a slow, even coat in one direction, covering the frame in a pinwheel motion, don't stop mid way through & never go back over what you've just done! Allow to dry, lightly sand it back with very fine sand paper & repeat the process, a good 3 or 4 coats is usually more than enough... Just play around with it & have some fun!
saL
Art Expert

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:53 am

wow!.. so happy I came across this thread... some lovely work showed here...

Im all about using 2nd hand, reclaimed frames, as I love the feeling of things being used, old, and not crystal sharp and shiny.. most of my Wall of Stache Fame collection is framed that way (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33147828@N ... 261705421/).. here are some of my favorites (framing wise):

I never went as far as repainting and doing a bit more with them, but after seeing some of the posts here, I'll definitely get to that..

looking forward to seeing future projects here..
TOTM
Art Expert

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 am

saL, those are epic! Thanks for posting mate, love the first moustacka but what is that last image? Amazing...
TOTM
Art Expert

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:34 am

OooOOoof! Just followed the link... That wall is tre cool!
saL
Art Expert

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 pm

TOTM wrote:saL, those are epic! Thanks for posting mate, love the first moustacka but what is that last image? Amazing...
the first one is by a friend of mine, Filip Burburan.. he's an illustrator, and his work is mind boggling - http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 33&t=89952
Bickel

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Found this frame at a local thrift shop for $30 OTD, and took it...it's some kind of lightweight molding or plastic with some crappy goldish foil over the top that bubbles up in spots. I didn't worry about the bubbling though, as it wasn't really prominent. Cover it with a textured black Rustoleum, and even after the first coat, it looks awesome now.

Debating on whether or not I should just leave it with the textured black, or if I should let some of the gold show through on it...kinda sketched on the quality of the foil. In any case, the textured black looks great on it as is.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Hell yeah! Looking good man!
ImageX5 Hodor Image
Bickel

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:50 pm

srdzevon wrote:Hell yeah! Looking good man!
Thanks! That frame is actually pretty big, could easily fit any 24x36 print in it, with matte. Now the debate is "what do I put in it?"
srdzevon
Art Expert

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:30 am

Caught my neighbor throwing this frame in the trash. Grabbed it before it ended up rotting in a dump somewhere. Little more sanding, some cutting, little stain maybe, I think this might work well for "The Cache".

Last edited by srdzevon on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
murdock
Art Expert

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:43 am

Hell, yeah! This would actually be THE perfect fit for my big Horkey wall.... Damn! :twisted:
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer