Reclaimed Frames

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

srdzevon wrote:Welp, I finally got around to finishing this mfer. I think it turned out pretty sweet.
It came out nice. Well done. :clap:
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
srdzevon
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Here's my latest project if anyone's interested. Thought I'd just post it in this thread instead of starting a new one. Maybe a Mod could rename it to "Reclaimed Frames" or something.

This frame fell off an easel at a photography show I did a few years ago. Got some nice chips and dings in it, but there are still a few good inches left. More than enough for something like maybe...The Ruse.

Chopped up and glued/screwed back together with a little bit of rough sanding. Turns out, it was more banged up than I thought so instead of sanding it down, I decided to just keep it ruff.

Nothing fancy on the paint job, just plain ol' flat black.

Found some various weapons and implements in my front pocket and around the garage to gouge and scratch and dent. Here's a detail right after the last coat of paint went down.

Final product. Pretty happy with it except for my 45's. Not as tight as I'd like for them to be. Maybe someone that actually knows what the hell they are doing could give me some tips for next time? Tapecat? Gunter? Anyone?

ImageX5 Hodor Image
geezer
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Looks really good. Especially up on your wall.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Nice! I knew this was your thread before clicking :)
murdock
Art Expert

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:24 am

Another great job, mate!

Although (if I may add), in contrast to the über-awesome OTG, this one lacks the special something. Maybe some other color than black (grey? reddish brown?) would have suited the piece a little bit better... (I'm only saying since I know you can do this - me, I wouldn't be able to take the original frame apart...)

And let's do the renaming, mods! I wanna see more great reclaims here! :clap:
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks Murdock!

Yeah, I agree, there probably would've been a better color choice for the frame, but I have lots of smaller Horkeys framed in black already. I think once the whole grouping is put together on one wall it will look pretty killer.
My main goal here was to take stuff I had on hand and try and make something cool out of it. I found the half can of black paint in the garage. In the future, I think I'll probably explore other types of finish. Jamesgunter has turned me on to a few things that look pretty cool.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
murdock
Art Expert

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Ah, that's a more than valid reason of course! Grouping them all clad in black will help making them work on one wall, I guess. Looking forward to the completed project :)
srdzevon
Art Expert

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:31 pm

I had another frame just like the one I reused for The Ruse above that got damaged at that art show, so here's another with the same molding.

I went with super glossy on this one just to see how it would look. Kinda works with the Asian(?) chop stamp I think. No glass yet, just taking a look.

Thoughts on the gloss paint? Too much?

ImageX5 Hodor Image
murdock
Art Expert

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:24 pm

The way it looks in the pic, the gloss works great. And I would invest in museum glass for that one, to make this look as glass-less as possible. The "understatement" makes this look even classier, IMO.

This is basically what I tried to do with my black-on-black frame up of the card, but only succeeded in about half as good as you.

And :cheers: on the thread renaming!
CHR1S
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:27 am

One of my favorite pieces is a snubnose by DAIN that I put in a reclaimed frame.
DAIN1.jpg
srdzevon
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 am

murdock wrote:The way it looks in the pic, the gloss works great. And I would invest in museum glass for that one, to make this look as glass-less as possible. The "understatement" makes this look even classier, IMO.

This is basically what I tried to do with my black-on-black frame up of the card, but only succeeded in about half as good as you.

And :cheers: on the thread renaming!
Yeah, definitely museum glass. Used it on my Ruse, really pleased with how it looks. It was only like 4 bucks more for such a small piece.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
eevildee
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Every frame on my wall is a reclaim, most have been resized for a better fit. Now I need to learn how to cut mattes and glass and I'd be set.
More to come...

ImagexImagexImagexImagexImage T.H.C.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:25 pm

This thread just got good!
ImageX5 Hodor Image
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 pm

nice reclaimed frame jobs eevildee and srdzevon!!! :clap:
murdock