Framed Sylvia Ji

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby halftonegraphics on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:47 am

Wondering if anyone might have some samples of a Sylvia Ji framed up. I'm looking to buy myself a birthday gift and originally was thinking a Viveros but have since decided on a Sylvia print. I am just worried about framing it due to the image size and the paper size. The two I am looking at are 14" x 14" images but 20" x 24" paper. Seems like the mat would be enormous to cover that dead space on the paper.

Any examples would be appreciated. I found two in the framed threads but they weren't of the same proportion/image size and paper.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral

Postby peacedog on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:36 am

halftonegraphics wrote:Wondering if anyone might have some samples of a Sylvia Ji framed up. I'm looking to buy myself a birthday gift and originally was thinking a Viveros but have since decided on a Sylvia print. I am just worried about framing it due to the image size and the paper size. The two I am looking at are 14" x 14" images but 20" x 24" paper. Seems like the mat would be enormous to cover that dead space on the paper.

Any examples would be appreciated. I found two in the framed threads but they weren't of the same proportion/image size and paper.

You are correct. The two I have framed for clients have both had the white borders trimmed at the customer's request.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby piratesprayer on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:48 am

I have the box set she put out framed. I will post it later today .
piratesprayer
Art Expert

talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!

Postby halftonegraphics on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:53 am

peacedog wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:Wondering if anyone might have some samples of a Sylvia Ji framed up. I'm looking to buy myself a birthday gift and originally was thinking a Viveros but have since decided on a Sylvia print. I am just worried about framing it due to the image size and the paper size. The two I am looking at are 14" x 14" images but 20" x 24" paper. Seems like the mat would be enormous to cover that dead space on the paper.

You are correct. The two I have framed for clients have both had the white borders trimmed at the customer's request.

Trimmed down to 20" x 20"? Which would be a 3" mat.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral

Postby peacedog on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:14 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:
peacedog wrote:

Trimmed down to 20" x 20"? Which would be a 3" mat.

I don't recall exactly. We trimmed to our needs. Once you've trimmed it, you've trimmed it. Big or little is irrelevant at that point.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby halftonegraphics on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Do you have pictures of the two you did?
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

1xRun Referral

Postby peacedog on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:50 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:Do you have pictures of the two you did?

There's one in the "Framed By Peacedog" thread, I think 1st page. I don't know about the other one.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby halftonegraphics on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Ok, thanks.

sixstringer wrote:Sylvia Ji - Black Domina :clap:

Yea.. That's a beaut. Nice job.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

1xRun Referral

Postby FramerDave on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:32 pm

I don't see a problem there. Depending on how the image is placed on the paper, you're looking at about 3" and 5" mat widths. That's pretty decent proportions.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Postby halftonegraphics on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:48 pm

FramerDave wrote:

I don't see a problem there. Depending on how the image is placed on the paper, you're looking at about 3" and 5" mat widths. That's pretty decent proportions.

Uncut, you'd be looking at a 24"x24" frame with 5" mat. Almost 2/5 of the framed space would be mat. Seems a little overdone to me.

Ended up passing on the Sylvia Ji. Went with a Viveros. Sylvia is still in the sight though.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

1xRun Referral

Postby inkedup on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:32 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:Ended up passing on the Sylvia Ji. Went with a Viveros. Sylvia is still in the sight though.

What Viveros did you get? I have a hard time finding anybody re-selling his prints.
inkedup
Art Expert

Postby HappaHaoli on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:23 pm

At first glanceI thought this was a Sylvia Ji print...

La Muerta - Gustavo Rimada
http://cavegallery.net/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=detail&id=1325&Itemid=30
Gustavo Rimada - La Muerta sm.png
Gustavo Rimada - La Muerta sm.png (235.84 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."

Postby halftonegraphics on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:25 pm

inkedup wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:Ended up passing on the Sylvia Ji. Went with a Viveros. Sylvia is still in the sight though.

What Viveros did you get? I have a hard time finding anybody re-selling his prints.

His recent one. Viva La Muerte. Picked it up at midnight last night/this morning.

Wanted his fight club print but as you stated and I found out, not much on the market for him.
Last edited by halftonegraphics on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

1xRun Referral

Postby halftonegraphics on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:54 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:At first glanceI thought this was a Sylvia Ji print...

La Muerta - Gustavo Rimada
http://cavegallery.net/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=detail&id=1325&Itemid=30
Gustavo Rimada - La Muerta sm.png

Some interesting stuff there. The older stuff definitely has a flash/tattoo feel.

La Muerta is nice. Not a back pickup for only $40 with $6 for shipping.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

1xRun Referral

Postby inkedup on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:09 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:His recent one. Viva La Muerte. Picked it up at midnight last night/this morning.

Wanted his fight club print but as you stated and I found out, not much on the market for him.

I bought Viva La Muerte too after looking for a sylvia ji print for the longest time, I love black domina but I cant get myself to pay the 500 bux flippers want for it. Hopefully she will release more of her "day of the dead" inspired paintings as prints in the future.
inkedup
Art Expert

Next

Return to Framing Corner