Floating a Print

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi !

I would like to know what is a sheet of Reemay ???

Thanks !
CHR1S
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Guiloo wrote:Hi !

Thanks !
It's a very light weight fabric that is used for interleaving, repairing or hinging works on paper. It's very soft and no abrasive and is helpful to use when using wheat paste. It's porous so you can place it on top of the a freshly pasted hinge and it will allow the hinge to dry and at the same time keep the fresh wheat paste from sticking to anything else, including the reemay sheet since it is a relatively non-stick material.

http://www.hollingermetaledge.com/modul ... 28&cat=180
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:42 pm

CHR1S wrote:
Guiloo wrote:Hi !

Thanks !
It's a very light weight fabric that is used for interleaving, repairing or hinging works on paper. It's very soft and no abrasive and is helpful to use when using wheat paste. It's porous so you can place it on top of the a freshly pasted hinge and it will allow the hinge to dry and at the same time keep the fresh wheat paste from sticking to anything else, including the reemay sheet since it is a relatively non-stick material.

http://www.hollingermetaledge.com/modul ... 28&cat=180
Ok thank you ! I understand the purpose of this fabric...I need to find the right word now in french !
CHR1S
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Do you want to know what the fabric is made of? If so it's polyester.
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:46 pm

CHR1S wrote:Do you want to know what the fabric is made of? If so it's polyester.
perfect thank you ! if maybe you get a chance to have the exact name in french don't hesitate !

Also I would like to know the reference of the Tefal device you use ?! As it is a french brand, it would be really easy for me to find it !
CHR1S
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Yes, the Tefal device is device is European. It is a saucier.....meant for making sauces which are much more popular in French (or European) cooking. They stopped producing the American version. I recently had to replace mine with a European one. And since our electricity is different I also had to purchase a huge transformer.

http://www.amazon.fr/SEB-836804-Robot-S ... 929&sr=8-1

I'm not sure what the French translation would be for Reemay. If not a typical fabric. If you look google book conservation or paper repair or if you can contact an art conservator in your area they might be able to tell you what it is. I wouldn't be surprised if it was also called Reemay in France.
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:59 am

CHR1S wrote:Yes, the Tefal device is device is European. It is a saucier.....meant for making sauces which are much more popular in French (or European) cooking. They stopped producing the American version. I recently had to replace mine with a European one. And since our electricity is different I also had to purchase a huge transformer.

http://www.amazon.fr/SEB-836804-Robot-S ... 929&sr=8-1

This device is pretty expensive ! Do you think it is possible to realize a good mix with a hand mixer or electrical mixer ??? (i have included pics because i'm not sure of the name in english!)
CHR1S
Art Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:07 am

The great thing about the saucier is that it cooks (heats) and stirs at the same time. It can take up to 25 or 30 minutes of cooking and constant stirring. Those blenders probably won't work as I'm guessing they would whip or stir too quickly. And even if they did have a very slow setting it means you have to stand at the pot for the duration holding and moving the blender about If you had the patience you could cook the wheat paste on a stove at a very low heat and stir it by hand. . Also the stirring arm in the saucier fits perfectly into it's pot so it stirs all of the contents. You could stir the wheat paste with a wooden spoon, but if you do it on a regular basis like I don't the saucier is a good investment. I believe I paid about $180 for mine and on top of that I had to spend another $150 for the voltage converter.
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:30 am

CHR1S wrote:The great thing about the saucier is that it cooks (heats) and stirs at the same time. It can take up to 25 or 30 minutes of cooking and constant stirring. Those blenders probably won't work as I'm guessing they would whip or stir too quickly. And even if they did have a very slow setting it means you have to stand at the pot for the duration holding and moving the blender about If you had the patience you could cook the wheat paste on a stove at a very low heat and stir it by hand. . Also the stirring arm in the saucier fits perfectly into it's pot so it stirs all of the contents. You could stir the wheat paste with a wooden spoon, but if you do it on a regular basis like I don't the saucier is a good investment. I believe I paid about $180 for mine and on top of that I had to spend another $150 for the voltage converter.
I think I will invest into this saucier !

Chris, thank you very much for all your precious information !
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:57 am

Didn't go the wheat paste route (used the Gummed Hinging Tissue http://www.framedestination.com/tape_ti ... 000000000/) but dont think I did a bad job at all for my first float!

Image Image Image
CHR1S
Art Expert

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:17 am

You did a great job summoner! That really looks nice.
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks!! I also have a beautifully floated piece of purple construction paper that I used to practice with... No pics of that one though ;)

Floating a print is not all that hard, just so long as you TAKE YOUR TIME, and just think about what you are doing. I have a few prints that I am wanting to frame up and will more than likely float these as well! LOVE the look
Image Image Image
Pineapple007
Art Expert

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:01 am

I love arts & crafts! Haha
"Get up, you son of a bitch! 'Cause Micky loves ya."
Image Order of the Monarch #21
Image Image
haven
Art Expert

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 am

I know I commented on that Petker elsewhere, but that looks really nice.

And CHR1S, since you're the expert in these parts, do you recommend those strips that summoner used?
Last edited by haven on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:02 am

Floating looks really really cool, but I'm not putting adhesives/water anywhere near my prints. :(
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.