Floating a Print

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby Nicodemus317 on Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 pm

So, I've done a ton of framing through FrameDestination, including an oversized Geddes, but I've never floated a print before.

I recently picked up 'Power & Glory' Letterpress and I was thinking of trying my hand at floating it. Would this guide, and the accompanying video above, be a good starting point for a first time floater?

Are there other methods for floating not covered here? Thanks again for such a phenomenal resource Chris!
Nicodemus317
Art Connoisseur

Postby CHR1S on Thu May 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Nicodemus317 wrote:So, I've done a ton of framing through FrameDestination, including an oversized Geddes, but I've never floated a print before.

I recently picked up 'Power & Glory' Letterpress and I was thinking of trying my hand at floating it. Would this guide, and the accompanying video above, be a good starting point for a first time floater?

Are there other methods for floating not covered here? Thanks again for such a phenomenal resource Chris!

Yes there are other methods. The method I demonstrated in this thread is my preferred method and is probably overkill for most prints. Especially for a print the size of 'Power & Glory.' Although I've floated a couple OBEY letterpress prints and used this same method. With smaller prints some might just adhere the mulberry directly to the backing board without cutting and using the slits. I like the precision of the slits. And a letterpress with it's nice deckled edges is the ideal type of print to float.
CHR1S
Art Connoisseur

Postby Codeblue on Fri May 27, 2016 1:14 am

Feel free to post more tutorials whenever the mood strikes!
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby jjttdw on Fri May 27, 2016 12:06 pm

Great stuff. I've framed 10 or so things myself but nothing floated. Gonna have to give it a try.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby PaintByNumbers on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Has anyone tried floating a print between two sheets of glass/acrylic? Curious what materials would best/safely adhere to the glass/acrylic backing. Thanks!
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '

Postby peacedog on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:46 pm

PaintByNumbers wrote:Has anyone tried floating a print between two sheets of glass/acrylic? Curious what materials would best/safely adhere to the glass/acrylic backing. Thanks!

That's called a trap float. You can still use a variety of hinging techniques but you typically have to use something with self adhesive to attach to the glass/plexi backing. Trying to keep everything perfectly clean and free of fingerprints while you're working is the real challenge.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby TOTM on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:05 pm

No fudge!

Just finished framing a last minute exhibition jobbie for a local artist & really cannot believe she talked me into doing this… Never again!

Cherish Marrington 1.jpg
Cherish Marrington 1.jpg (229.79 KiB) Viewed 805 times

Cherish Marrington 2.jpg
Cherish Marrington 2.jpg (223.65 KiB) Viewed 805 times
TOTM
Art Expert

Postby TOTM on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Cherish Marrington 3.jpg
Cherish Marrington 3.jpg (230.1 KiB) Viewed 802 times

Cherish Marrington 4.jpg
Cherish Marrington 4.jpg (231.46 KiB) Viewed 802 times

Original pen & ink artwork on paper, hinged onto rag mat mounting board & double sided tape onto glass backing with acrylic spacer inbetween two sheets of glass… Heavy as drymount!

Stressed this was only a short term solution, good for the show but just heard both sold, good for her & now flustered, worrying about the long term for the pieces… Buuut if I was to do again, most definitely would be thinking it rather between two pieces of acrylii for obvious reasons & would also be very interested in hearing any other trusted methods/techniques of attaching to either backing, for a longer term display solution.

Danke…
TOTM
Art Expert

Postby TOTM on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:09 pm

And yes... I very much need to re-cover me benches with some new calico!
TOTM
Art Expert

Postby Kramerica on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 pm

Bump.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Previous

Return to Framing Corner