Framed stuff part 5

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
db23
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:16 pm

hellosir wrote:That Kant Komplain is sooooo nice, did you pick that up the last time it hit eBay?
yeah buddy! was waiting on it for years and figured i'd never get it. that was the price i was willing to pay and got lucky on the bay.
hellosir
Art Freak

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:23 pm

db23 wrote:
hellosir wrote:That Kant Komplain is sooooo nice, did you pick that up the last time it hit eBay?
yeah buddy! was waiting on it for years and figured i'd never get it. that was the price i was willing to pay and got lucky on the bay.
Congrats on that one man, really the only Cobain/Nirvana print worth framing besides Kozik's. I was watching that sale close, but the wallet was thin around the time it ended. Happy it ended up on a wall instead of back in a flatfile...
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:17 pm

nice DB.
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
thegig
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:Hey db,
I hope you have lots of cash when you dive into those fillets. Done right, they turn decent images into museum-looking masterpieces, enhancing prints unbelievably. The net is that the extra money is worth it to someone who's interested in the classy, quality look this type of framing yields, which it looks like you want. I'll have to snap a pic of an old Breeder's Cup print I had framed with a fillet, and post it here. It's been on the walls of my home for 20 years or so, and I never get tired of looking at it.
I love selling fillets in my store for this exact reason. They add dimension and define the space in different ways than mats do. I think most places probably charge more than we do (which is the case with most stuff), and likely overcharge, because you think you're getting some specialty item, which you are, but not really. The moulding itself is *cheap*, and if you do it enough to get fast at it, it takes about as long as cutting a mat. Ultimately, it's a win/win for the shop and the customer, though, because the customer who spends that money is always happy to spend it, and to have spent it.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Here's my Breeder's Cup embossed print with fillet. It's huge; 31"x41". It's the NYC skline; that year, 1985, the 'Cup was at Aqueduct.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
mcnail
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:54 am

Found the perfect photo collage frame for Jay's postcard set!

dylansdad
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:10 am

I really like how that turned out!
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:11 am

Wow that's a great idea. I saw those at walmart on black Friday but they were all gone when I got there
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
sabotage
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:17 am

mcnail wrote:Found the perfect photo collage frame for Jay's postcard set!
Awesome!!
chalkdust
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:45 am

hello Framed stuff part 5..
DSCF0069.jpg
DSCF0071.jpg
reverse-bevel on the orange, didn't want bevel overkill.
db23
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:59 am

Rick, the fillet on the breeders print looks awesome. They're such an underutilized part of the framing game. Sadly my framer doesn't have the best selection but the fillet on the Lebron piece was beyond perfect.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:10 am

Thanx db. It's my only fillet, but I'd recommend it to anyone; I'll probably do it again.
As you say, the selection is as important as mat or frame selections. Some people frame just to hang something up. Others frame within a strict budget. Others have it in their heads that they shouldn't pay more than $x to frame something. None of these are "wrong", but I try to take the approach of wanting my framed art to look as good to me as I can make them (because I'm going to want to look at them for a long time), and then I try to get the best price/value for what I'm going to do... without sacrificing on the look I want. Just my approach.

edit: P.S. - I am always involved in defining the look I want. I may listen to the framer about their thoughts on colors, number of mats, etc., but the creative side of me translates to me making the decisions about the look I want, rather than taking a piece to the framers and letting them define the look and me merely saying "OK that looks nice". Again, just my approach, and I know I'm not unique in this regardby any means.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
db23
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:20 am

Rick you're spot on with what you just wrote. i cannot tell you how many thousands of dollars i wasted trying to get things framed up quickly and cheaply when i first bought my home and i've been re-framing ever since. nearly completed but the biggest mistake was framing just to frame. buying standard frames to save $$$ when the piece warranted custom was the dumbest thing i or anyone could do because after awhile and after being a member here you'll get annoyed with the way you did it and it's money down the drain. putting a fairey in a standard 18 x 24 is not at all what i'm talking about. putting a 22 x 35 Kozik in a 24 x 36 frame with a poorly cut mat is my point.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:43 am

One thing that helps me with my approach is that I have a 12' long piece of wall in my finished basement (which is MY room of the house) where I have white pegboard. I can then put up 10 or so posters from my flat files for a month or so at a time "just to see them". I use various sized poster bags and acid free backings to store my flat file posters/prints, so I create themes every month or so, and just hang the images without any cost. I'll have a skeleton theme, Arminski theme, Pink Floyd theme, Christmas theme, etc. So, whenever I feel like it, I have a fresh new wall full of stuff to look at while I exercise or watch TV/videos, listen to music, etc.

In case anyone is interested, I get my poster sleeves and backings online from Bags Unlimited. They have good product for long term archival storage at a good price. One thing I like about them is that that you can get lots of sizes: 16x20, 18x24, 20x29, 23x33, etc.
rhythmgtr5
Art Expert

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Do you have a picture of this wall Rick? It sounds pretty awesome