Framed Stuff Part 3

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
kevron62007
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:56 am

Yamar wrote:Sheez... at those prices, can the rest of us order up frames and basic mattes from you too? I know I'd not mind getting a few "standard size" Jones prints out of the files as well and those layouts look just fine to me ;)
Would love to help out but shipping would be the problem with price point. You could do about the same thing with American Frame just ordering Ready Made poster frames and mattes. The only thing about American Frame is they have a limited selection of mattes. The framer I deal with is cool because all I have to do is call him by Tuesday at 4:00 and he can have me whatever color or style matte I want the next day. It has been a good situation for me. I am really starting to like the smaller width borders on the mattes too, obviously with a 22x28 frame there is not much room for a matte on a 20x26 print, but I think it might actually keep the empasis on the print while providing a nice border and accent to the print.
erba
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:14 am

kevron62007 wrote:
Sure but you would have to go to Indiana to meet him. I hung out with him for awhile the other day and actually framed up a print from scratch. He has an awesome mat cutter you just put the mat board in the device hit a pneumatic clamp to hold down the mat board, then type the numbers in the computer for the outside and inside dimensions and it is done in about thirty seconds.
Those machines are great. You can make some really cool designs right on the matte. Also, once you set it to cut a certain size (say RJ's 20x26 posters), you never have to set it again. It lets you save it in the system and you never have to program it again. The machines cost around $10,000.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:16 am

kevron62007 wrote:
Yamar wrote:Sheez... at those prices, can the rest of us order up frames and basic mattes from you too? I know I'd not mind getting a few "standard size" Jones prints out of the files as well and those layouts look just fine to me ;)
Would love to help out but shipping would be the problem with price point. You could do about the same thing with American Frame just ordering Ready Made poster frames and mattes. The only thing about American Frame is they have a limited selection of mattes. The framer I deal with is cool because all I have to do is call him by Tuesday at 4:00 and he can have me whatever color or style matte I want the next day. It has been a good situation for me. I am really starting to like the smaller width borders on the mattes too, obviously with a 22x28 frame there is not much room for a matte on a 20x26 print, but I think it might actually keep the empasis on the print while providing a nice border and accent to the print.
Actually, my personal preference (and the vast majority of things I have framed up) are a consistent 1" matte on all sides. I like the emphasis it puts on the print, but I also like the spacing and color ability that matting gives, hence I do that rather than floating.
That price is still damn cheap compared to AF if I'm recalling right...
Tra la la la la...
kevron62007
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:51 am

Yes to do the same thing at American Frame double mattes and a 22x28 frame the cost would be 77 dollars shipped so I am doing it for less than half of that. I would call the frame quality about the same, nothing special but they look fine to me.
kevron62007
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:55 am

erba wrote:
kevron62007 wrote:
Sure but you would have to go to Indiana to meet him. I hung out with him for awhile the other day and actually framed up a print from scratch. He has an awesome mat cutter you just put the mat board in the device hit a pneumatic clamp to hold down the mat board, then type the numbers in the computer for the outside and inside dimensions and it is done in about thirty seconds.
Those machines are great. You can make some really cool designs right on the matte. Also, once you set it to cut a certain size (say RJ's 20x26 posters), you never have to set it again. It lets you save it in the system and you never have to program it again. The machines cost around $10,000.
Those machines rules it puts a really nice cut on the mattes too. He told me his was 27,000 but who knows I just know it is by far the fastest and best method of matte cutting I have seen.
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:27 pm

heres what i did and anyone can do it. get out your phone book and look up framing wholesalers. just ask them what you need to do to buy from them. all i had to do was get a business lisence and tax id number. i know, it sounds like a hassle but it only took an hour and ten bucks. now i can buy wholesale framing and i can archivally frame and mat anythiing for less than $30. good luck
ottoisblotto2
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:32 pm

heres a ween print, i just did for the basement.
hillsj2001
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:32 pm

kevron62007 wrote:
erba wrote:
kevron62007 wrote:
erba wrote:How did you manage all 3 for $115??

20 dollar frame from hobby lobby 15 dollars for mats and backing board from a framer that I have become friends with he hooks me up and cuts my mats for basically nothing he said he thinks all of the silkscreens are interesting. He is about 65 years old and one of the coolest dudes I have met. He gives me free sleeves and stuff all the time.
Can you introduce me to him?
Sure but you would have to go to Indiana to meet him. I hung out with him for awhile the other day and actually framed up a print from scratch. He has an awesome mat cutter you just put the mat board in the device hit a pneumatic clamp to hold down the mat board, then type the numbers in the computer for the outside and inside dimensions and it is done in about thirty seconds. The guy has been in the business for about 30 years and has a ton of knowledge sadly enough he is retiring and selling his business his nephew at the end of the year. I have a feeling that his nephew will not be as generous as he is. I am going to get all of the prints that are 20x26 done before the end of the year. I will be taking him the White Stripes Providence 03 and Racs Atlantic City next week.
what part of indiana? i live in west central indiana
kevron62007
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:57 pm

hillsj2001 wrote:
kevron62007 wrote:
erba wrote:
kevron62007 wrote:
20 dollar frame from hobby lobby 15 dollars for mats and backing board from a framer that I have become friends with he hooks me up and cuts my mats for basically nothing he said he thinks all of the silkscreens are interesting. He is about 65 years old and one of the coolest dudes I have met. He gives me free sleeves and stuff all the time.
Can you introduce me to him?
Sure but you would have to go to Indiana to meet him. I hung out with him for awhile the other day and actually framed up a print from scratch. He has an awesome mat cutter you just put the mat board in the device hit a pneumatic clamp to hold down the mat board, then type the numbers in the computer for the outside and inside dimensions and it is done in about thirty seconds. The guy has been in the business for about 30 years and has a ton of knowledge sadly enough he is retiring and selling his business his nephew at the end of the year. I have a feeling that his nephew will not be as generous as he is. I am going to get all of the prints that are 20x26 done before the end of the year. I will be taking him the White Stripes Providence 03 and Racs Atlantic City next week.
Evansville
phishface101
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:02 pm

Finally got my 10k prints framed...

And many thanks to TJ for this beauty...

Now I just gotta hang 'em!
RITFW
Art Expert

Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Just finished putting these together. The way the handbill sits deep in the frame and the woodgrain finish to the frame kinda makes these look like little Trent coffins. Better pics will be added to the EB print listing.

PS kevron: can you edit your first post to include the links to Framed Stuff Part 1 and Framed Stuff Part 2?
hillsj2001
Art Expert

Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:48 am

kevron62007 wrote:
hillsj2001 wrote:
kevron62007 wrote:
erba wrote: Can you introduce me to him?
Evansville
cool...i'm 2 hours north of evansville on 41
kevron62007
Art Expert

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:25 am

RITFW wrote:Just finished putting these together. The way the handbill sits deep in the frame and the woodgrain finish to the frame kinda makes these look like little Trent coffins. Better pics will be added to the EB print listing.

PS kevron: can you edit your first post to include the links to Framed Stuff Part 1 and Framed Stuff Part 2?
I edited my first post to included links to the two older threads. Nice job on the hanbills they look amazing.
ReverendToneZone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Hot off the press, just framed this bad boy up yesterday . . .

RITFW
Art Expert

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:39 pm

Fancy. I like it.