framing in the SF Bay Area

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby danesgod on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:23 pm

I did a quick search, and only had one hit for in San Francisco (Edgewise Arts, great Yelp reviews from the looks of it), but I'm in Silicon Valley, wondering if anyone can recommend a framer in that area? I certainly don't mind going to the city if its highly recommended.

I'm a noob to owning actual art (not just shitty posters), and I recently got two commissioned pieces 18x24" and I'm working on getting a piece off EB that's on thin plywood (needs flattening) that's 23.5x31". I'm looking to have all three framed, the 18x24" paintings should be straightforward, but if the sale here pans out, it's going to be pricey (by my standards) and I want a lasting, quality job done. Thoughts on framers? Can anyone ballpark what I ought to be paying for something like this?

Thanks!
danesgod

Postby danesgod on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am

I suppose my question really isn't about the standard pieces. Those are straightforward and I understand matting and framing well enough.

I called 5-6 places around the Bay Area yesterday and got wildly different opinions on how to handle the thin plywood piece. They ranged from "just bring it in, we'll deal with it." To suggestions such as a strainer bar, getting a backframe, or mounting, then subsequent framing. Ultimately, I think I'd like it in a floater frame after flattening. Does anyone have any reliable resources or suggestions, googling for fine art seems... unreliable/questionable? Is it standard practice to permanently affix something to the back of the wood or are there "non-destructive" techniques (I plan to leave it framed forever).

Someone ballparked me at $500 for the whole project yesterday (depending on materials choice obviously), does that sound approximately right?

Sorry for being a noob. Thanks in advance.
danesgod

Postby mobius006 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Your plywood is warped? If its already kinda warped, IMO it can again, and putting it behind glass is a bad idea.
mobius006
Art Freak

Postby postermike on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 pm

i can reccomend .san bruno framing, 540 san mateo ave, sb,ca 415 712 4483, good price,good work
postermike
Art Enthusiast

Postby danesgod on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:46 pm

mobius006 wrote:Your plywood is warped? If its already kinda warped, IMO it can again, and putting it behind glass is a bad idea.

Yea, its warped, not badly. Other people with similar pieces have had the same issue, its either 1/4 or 3/8 ply.

postermike wrote:i can reccomend .san bruno framing, 540 san mateo ave, sb,ca 415 712 4483, good price,good work

Thanks, I'll give them a call.
danesgod

Postby peacedog on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:48 pm

No one is going to be able to give you a straight answer without seeing it.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby mobius006 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:09 pm

peacedog wrote:No one is going to be able to give you a straight answer without seeing it.

mobius006
Art Freak

Postby danesgod on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:11 pm

peacedog wrote:No one is going to be able to give you a straight answer without seeing it.

Well, when you put it that way... That makes complete sense. Seems obvious in retrospect. I have some photos now, but I'll chime back in after I actually acquire the piece.
danesgod

Return to Framing Corner