Michaels Custom Framing center absorbed Aaron Brothers

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby celloman85 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 pm

So Aaron Brothers is now essentially the custom framing dept of Michaels. I've had lots of custom framing jobs done by them and was pleased with the result albeit very expensive. Current trend was Michaels was garbage and you should never take anything there. What is the consensus nowadays? Would you trust a piece with Michaels now that they overhauled their current dept.? Any good introductory coupons? Thoughts?
celloman85
Art Connoisseur

Postby JBFrame on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:36 pm

1995, Michaels acquired Aaron Brothers Holdings, Inc., a specialty framing and art supply store.

Michael's has owned and operated Aaron Brothers for a lot longer than most people think. From what I understand Michael's custom framing has been sliding for the past few years and Aaron Brothers have been holding steady or increasing slightly. Michael's has decided to close their custom framing and bring Aaron Brothers under the same roof for economic reasons. They are just changing the name from Michael's Custom Framing to Aaron Brother's Custom Framing.

Quality all depends upon what Aaron Brothers or Michael's store you go to. There is a Michael's store about 3 blocks from my shop who's quality has a lot to be desired but there is another Michael's about 1/2 mile away that does quasi good work. I have re-framed a couple Aaron Brother's framings that a customer brought in and have found the quality not the best but that doesn't mean that the quality in all Aaron Brothers is of the same quality. Since we don't have a Aaron Brother's around here I haven't seen other work of theirs so I am not really qualified to comment.

Anyway, I don't think that Aaron Bothers going under the same roof as Michael's is going to change the quality of Michael's framing. Personally, if I want good quality conservation/archival framing completed by competent knowledgeable framers, I would go to neither but that is my personal opinion.
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Postby celloman85 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 pm

Hey, thanks for the response. I learned something new today :)
celloman85
Art Connoisseur

Postby peacedog on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:42 pm

JBFrame wrote:Personally, if I want good quality conservation/archival framing completed by competent knowledgeable framers, I would go to neither but that is my personal opinion.

:iagree:
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby letstalkprints on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:19 am

My local Michaels has some people who really know what they are doing and do a solid job for a great price. Like most businesses in varied industries, the level of competence and quality depends upon the location and employees within.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.

Return to Framing Corner