Online UV plexi

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby Mapman on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Anyone know of an online source other than American Frame to get UV plexi / acylic?
Mapman
Art Expert

Postby xangelx on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Hollywoodposterframes.com
xangelx
Art Expert

"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion

Postby custardpye on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:06 pm

custardpye
Art Connoisseur

Postby misterwhisper on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 pm

When I'm buying framing plexi by itself, I get it directly from the source at acrylite. Here's their framing grade stuff: https://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/acr ... vpudi.html

If you happen to need acrylic Optium Museum glazing, the only online source from them I've found is webpictureframes. Don't be intimidated by the basic-ness of the site; I've ordered a kit with Optium from them in the past and their stuff is top notch. https://www.webpictureframes.com/catalo ... .html?sb=1
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Postby TKuczynski on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:49 pm

As said above, Acrylite Shop. Best pricing I've come across and the size limits are well above the framing sites.
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Postby SpaceYourAntelope on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:17 pm

TKuczynski wrote:As said above, Acrylite Shop. Best pricing I've come across and the size limits are well above the framing sites.

Just checked this out - never thought to order from them direct, but after shipping costs it would probably only make sense if buying in bulk. For single sheets or small orders you're probably still better off waiting for a discount or free shipping promotion from framedestination or one of the other custom framing sites
SpaceYourAntelope
Art Connoisseur

Postby Mapman on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:22 pm

Yea when comparing what I needed I just ended up ordering from American Frame, shipping was like $19 from the Acrylite shop, and I couldn't get anything cut under 12 inches. So since AF currently has a free shipping deal on anything over $125 I just went with that.

Thanks for the input though! :clap:
Mapman
Art Expert

Postby TKuczynski on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:27 pm

SpaceYourAntelope wrote:
TKuczynski wrote:As said above, Acrylite Shop. Best pricing I've come across and the size limits are well above the framing sites.

Just checked this out - never thought to order from them direct, but after shipping costs it would probably only make sense if buying in bulk. For single sheets or small orders you're probably still better off waiting for a discount or free shipping promotion from framedestination or one of the other custom framing sites

You're probably right. I'm always framing in groups to save on shipping on all fronts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Postby rikkirattoe on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Amazon has some in smaller sizes i believe
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Postby fdi1001 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 pm

As a re-seller I do not understand why they compete with us (family owned business). Including shipping they do not beat us on all sizes and product types especially smaller ones. I have found we appear to have high quality cuts more consistently, we sell the version with a high quality mask that is easier to remove than paper and we have a 4.9 (out of 5) star rating with google customer reviews.

If you really want to save money (nearly 50% over their price) and your frame is 24x28 or smaller then consider UV glass:
https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... ar-uv.html

If you dont want any reflections and would like lower cost than Optium acrylic consider this:
https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... ar-uv.html
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Postby EG8 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:39 am

I did some research on acrylite last night and found this cleaning guide.
http://www.sdplastics.com/acryliteliterature/1143CaringforACRYLITE.pdf
Note you are not suppose to use windex or glass cleaners on this product especially the UV resistant and anti-glare version!
EG8
Art Expert

Image Image Image

Postby ArchibaldTuttle on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:25 pm

I've bought a ton of UV acrylic from Frame Destination and it's always been a good experience. Their clearance section almost always has 8x10" packs for super cheap, and I'll just swap out when I buy cheap frames with bad glass. it's also very handy to have them cut custom small (or big) sizes- like $2 to upgrade a cheap 5x5" frame.

Also picked up plastics cleaner and cleaning towel from them (and politely asked my lady to never clean them). A bottle seems to last quite a while.

Since I'm already typing too much, I've seen people complain about static with acrylic, but I stopped having any issues once I started cleaning both sides before framing (which yes of course should be done for any glazing anyway).
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Postby fdi1001 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:07 pm

EG8 wrote:I did some research on acrylite last night and found this cleaning guide.
http://www.sdplastics.com/acryliteliterature/1143CaringforACRYLITE.pdf
Note you are not suppose to use windex or glass cleaners on this product especially the UV resistant and anti-glare version!

Windex is ok as long as it is ammonia free. The ammonia does not hurt the glass or acrylic, but it can hurt the artwork.
We use Sprayway to clean glass, and we use Brillianize to clean acrylic and of course only microfibre cloth on acrylic.
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Postby alteridiom on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 am

I just ordered some non-glare plexi from American Frame for the first time. Price seemed reasonable. 50 x 20 frame so wanted to avoid the weight of a piece of glass that large. Anyone know if there is a certain side that will need to face out like non-glare glass or is it the same on both sides?
alteridiom
Art Expert

Small town pizza lawyer

Postby fdi1001 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:34 pm

alteridiom wrote:I just ordered some non-glare plexi from American Frame for the first time. Price seemed reasonable. 50 x 20 frame so wanted to avoid the weight of a piece of glass that large. Anyone know if there is a certain side that will need to face out like non-glare glass or is it the same on both sides?

Yes, one side will be etched and it needs to be facing out of the frame away from the artwork. If you hold the artwork up and look across the room it will look fuzzy but dont worry about that. It just means you cant use it on a shadow box frame, but it should look fine close to the print as long as it is the Evonik acrylic like we sell.

Cheers,
Mark
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Next

Return to Framing Corner