Stretching a Canvas

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby ciphe on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:21 pm

I purchased an unstretched painting canvas , it arrived with only a .125" border all around and the artwork comes close to the edge.

Ideally, I want to stretch and frame it floated like the sample below.

Any Suggestions?
ciphe
Art Expert

Postby JBFrame on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:40 pm

The best way to correct this undercut canvas is to sew strips of canvas on all side . The sewing has to be done by machine so that it is strong enough to stretch and you have to be extremely careful not to over stretch the canvas because it could rip out the seams. I would definitely recommend bring your canvas to a framer that has done this before, not all framers are qualified to do this type of work. It doesn't sound like it is difficult but there are a few tricks that should be done to make sure you don't have problems - one trick is to pre-shrink the new canvas before sewing it on. Most knowledgeable framers will charge by the hour and the material to do this. It shouldn't take more than 1 to 1-1/2 hours to do the sewing and stretching. Hope this helps and lots of luck
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Postby ciphe on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:26 pm

JBFrame wrote:The best way to correct this undercut canvas is to sew strips of canvas on all side . The sewing has to be done by machine so that it is strong enough to stretch and you have to be extremely careful not to over stretch the canvas because it could rip out the seams. I would definitely recommend bring your canvas to a framer that has done this before, not all framers are qualified to do this type of work. It doesn't sound like it is difficult but there are a few tricks that should be done to make sure you don't have problems - one trick is to pre-shrink the new canvas before sewing it on. Most knowledgeable framers will charge by the hour and the material to do this. It shouldn't take more than 1 to 1-1/2 hours to do the sewing and stretching. Hope this helps and lots of luck

Thank you!!
ciphe
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:29 pm

Dafug is it?
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby ciphe on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:39 pm

Codeblue wrote:Dafug is it?

SEEN
ciphe
Art Expert

Postby JBFrame on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:33 am

Codeblue wrote:Dafug is it?

Don't you mean Dafuq which has a slang meaning of WTF? I don't really think there is a slang meaning for the word "Dafug" - I don't think you made a mis-key since the "q" is a bit of a distance from the "g"... there may be a slang meaning for that word but I don't know what it would be....would you like to explain?
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Return to Framing Corner