How to Know if Glass is UV

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby nutter97 on Fri May 19, 2017 4:39 pm

So i've been framing my own stuff, mat cutter, mounting, cutting glass etc....

my question is I score frames from garage sales in the past sometimes merely just for the glass. I just scored a couple of frames that were professionally framed, and the glass in it is sorta 'frosted'. My question is, is there glass out there that has this frosted look to cut down on the glare but no UV protection?

the place I buy my glass from offers 2 choices....100% uv protection but glare.... or......100% uv protection and no glare. i usually opt for the first choice because it's cheaper but i'm still protecting my stuff.

is there a way to tell if glass has UV protection?
nutter97
Art Connoisseur

Postby peacedog on Fri May 19, 2017 7:03 pm

The frosted glass is probably TruVue Non-Glare, it's made in both a regular and UV version. Non-Glare became pretty much obsolete when they came out with the Anti-Reflective products.

With TruVue UV products you can see a slight ripple across the inside surface of the glass. It's usually easier to see if you catch the reflection of a bright light at an angle.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby JBFrame on Sun May 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Use a black light (flash light) and shine it through the glass onto a piece of white paper. If it has a UV block the black lite will be very faint on the white paper.

It is best to compare using a piece of glass that you know doesn't have the UV block and the glass you are testing. It is important to hold both glass pieces away from the paper at a equal distance, if there is a UV block you will definitely see the difference when you shine the light through each piece of glass individuallly.
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Postby ONEYE on Sun May 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Hit it with a hammer. If it breaks, it could be UV.
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Postby jjttdw on Sun May 21, 2017 6:35 pm

JBFrame wrote:Use a black light (flash light) and shine it through the glass onto a piece of white paper. If it has a UV block the black lite will be very faint on the white paper.

It is best to compare using a piece of glass that you know doesn't have the UV block and the glass you are testing. It is important to hold both glass pieces away from the paper at a equal distance, if there is a UV block you will definitely see the difference when you shine the light through each piece of glass individuallly.

That is a top notch answer

ONEYE wrote:Hit it with a hammer. If it breaks, it could be UV.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby nutter97 on Mon May 22, 2017 8:53 am

JBFrame wrote:Use a black light (flash light) and shine it through the glass onto a piece of white paper. If it has a UV block the black lite will be very faint on the white paper.

nutter97
Art Connoisseur

Postby GustavMor on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 am

Lol, that would work.
GustavMor
New User

Postby nutter97 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:58 pm

GustavMor wrote:

Lol, that would work.

wow, i'm honored that your first post here was on my thread.
nutter97
Art Connoisseur

Return to Framing Corner