Where to buy paper for japanese hinges

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby ruh3 on Wed May 03, 2017 1:00 am

Hi guys, I've been searching where to buy paper to make japanese paper hinges. I haven't been able to find much info. Do you guys recommend any particular brand of kozo paper? paper weight? I'm looking at framing a 24x36 prints and some smaller ones.

Thanks!
ruh3
Art Connoisseur

Postby CHR1S on Fri May 12, 2017 12:50 pm

I use a medium weight paper for hinging called sekishu for most of the hinging I do. I keep in stock a few different weights depending on what I'm hinging or what I'm using the paper for. I work in a museum and do all the in-house matting and framing and also do some conservation work. I buy the paper by the roll since I'm hinging on a weekly basis. But you can also buy them by the sheet. If you're just starting out you might try buying a few different sheets in a few different weights so you can get a sense of the papers weight and the papers strength. With a 24x36 inch print you should be fine with a medium weight sheet. There are a lot of variables to deciding what weight sheet to use...size of paper, weight of paper, over matting, floating, number of hinges you are using, etc.

Are you making your own wheat paste?

The link below is a page where you can purchase kozo paper which you mentioned. But if you explore the site you'll see there are many other types of papers you can purchase or try. The 20gsm is a good medium weight.

http://www.talasonline.com/Hinging-Tissue
CHR1S
Art Connoisseur

Postby Grateful69Phish on Fri May 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Japan
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Return to Framing Corner