How to cut down metal frames?

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby SkatingPenguin on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:08 pm

I have a few prints I had done at the local Michaels that I'd like to alter. They won't cut the frames for me so I was thinking of doing it myself. Just need recommendations on how to do it, using what type of saw, etc, to cut them down... they are a basic black metal frame, 90 degrees angles. Any suggestions?
SkatingPenguin
New User

Postby peacedog on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Find a frame shop that will cut them. Personally, I won't let metal frames touch our saw blades. We send everything out to the distributor.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do it yourself, you need a mitre saw. It's not like cutting wood, if one of those metal scraps gets slung loose you could lose a digit.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby JBFrame on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:41 pm

peacedog wrote:Find a frame shop that will cut them. Personally, I won't let metal frames touch our saw blades. We send everything out to the distributor.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do it yourself, you need a mitre saw. It's not like cutting wood, if one of those metal scraps gets slung loose you could lose a digit.

Totally agree. My saw is for wood only. I let people that have the saw that is set up to do metal to the trimming, it is a heck of a lot safer for me because those little shardes of metal like to get in-bedded in body parts including eyes - it also gums up the saw with the wax that you should use on the blade.
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Postby fdi1001 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:34 pm

You need a blade for metal and a good mitre saw. On wood frames a framer that does not have a high end mitre saw will use disk sander to fix the cuts so they have a good corner. Cant do that with metal. Another option is you could just order a mats online. There are a few companies that do custom size mats online that are not too expensive like mine: https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... board.html
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Postby jjttdw on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Just buy another cheap ass Michael's frame amirite?
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Return to Framing Corner