Framed print in contact with the glass

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby CHR1S on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 am

WolfBrewer wrote:I have never had any issues with the print touching glass. The humidity is reasonable in our home and I have checked frames periodically to see if there has been any moisture getting inside. So far so good, but I might add spacers to some higher value prints soon.

Have you deframed many of your prints that are touching glass? It's amazing how little humidity it takes to cause issues when a work on paper is not framed properly. If you use acrylic (instead of glass) the risk is minimal. But with glass resting directly on a work on paper you're much more likely to have some condition issues when you deframe.
CHR1S
Art Connoisseur

Postby treweman on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:44 am

I've had one very bad experience with art touching glass, and all it takes is one to drive the point home. Fortunately, the piece was framed by the artist, and the gallery (which had just opened its doors) was very professional and refunded my money including shipping both ways, but the piece was ruined beyond repair.
treweman
Art Expert

Postby WolfBrewer on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:57 am

CHR1S wrote:Have you deframed many of your prints that are touching glass?

Yep, I panicked about a year ago and de-framed all prints of value to make sure they were ok...and they were. Some had been up for a couple of years at that point, so no issues to speak of. But I will probably end up adding spacers regardless.
WolfBrewer
Art Connoisseur

Image Image Image Image Image

Postby GreenMt on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:21 pm

So, is there a relative consensus as to what creates risk?
Are my prints in a flatfile safe because it is Mylar they are in contact with, even though under a lot of weight if at the borrow of a stack?
Are the risk factors glass and humidity?
I did have a Leia Bell print in Mylar that transferred ink, but it clearly was because that print used a plasticky putty like inking.
GreenMt
Art Expert

Postby LetsGetATaco on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:03 pm

I have some prints in IKEA Ribba frames. Any idea which size spacer would fit those?

dasponyboy wrote:
LetsGetATaco wrote:Where can I buy spacers? I have prints in frames with no mats so just want to make sure they are ok. I tried looking them up on Amazon and didn't find any.

https://www.framedestination.com/catalo ... ?q=spacers
LetsGetATaco
Art Enthusiast

Postby peacedog on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:15 pm

GreenMt wrote:So, is there a relative consensus as to what creates risk?
Are my prints in a flatfile safe because it is Mylar they are in contact with, even though under a lot of weight if at the borrow of a stack?
I did have a Leia Bell print in Mylar that transferred ink, but it clearly was because that print used a plasticky putty like inking.

The issues are heat and moisture, shifting back and forth quickly in particular. The glass cools at a different rate than the rest of the materials and you have the possibility of condensation building up on the inside of the glass. It's usually minute but it can compound over time. Here in Colorado where it's rather dry I've never seen poster ink stuck to the glass, but we have seen photos stuck in which the emulsion is also susceptible to moisture shifts dependent on how it was processed.

Plexiglass is less dense and tends to shift temperature more evenly with the rest of the piece so moisture is less likely to condense in any one spot.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby GreenMt on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:39 pm

peacedog wrote:
GreenMt wrote:So, is there a relative consensus as to what creates risk?

The issues are heat and moisture, shifting back and forth quickly in particular. The glass cools at a different rate than the rest of the materials and you have the possibility of condensation building up on the inside of the glass. It's usually minute but it can compound over time. Here in Colorado where it's rather dry I've never seen poster ink stuck to the glass, but we have seen photos stuck in which the emulsion is also susceptible to moisture shifts dependent on how it was processed.

Plexiglass is less dense and tends to shift temperature more evenly with the rest of the piece so moisture is less likely to condense in any one spot.

Thanks so much!
GreenMt
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Framing Corner