Noob framing advice needed!

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby novascotiapower on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi! I went through the board history looking for an answer to my specific conundrum, but since I couldn't find one I came here. I have a few prints on the wall, been getting them framed at a local shop for about two years (I think I have 7 or so up on the wall). After reading about other people's framing experiences I began to get a little paranoid that my prints have been framed in a subpar fashion. I opened up one of my frames tonight, and here is what I saw:

The prints are framed with regular glass, on top of a piece of acid free foam core (as recommended to me by the framer). The tape doesn't appear to be touching the actual print in any way, but I am still stressed out by it. What do you guys think? Any advice would be very appreciated, thanks a lot!
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur

Postby peacedog on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:35 pm

I can't really make heads or tails of that picture regarding how the print is held in place, but it looks like regular masking tape used there. Not a huge issue if it's not in contact with the print, but we prefer acid-free tape for most everything we frame. Is that the edge of the foamcore and glass just pinched together? Not really recommended, should be using a spacer to keep the glass off of the print. I would recommend a 99%UV glass as well.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby novascotiapower on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:43 pm

Here's a picture from a little farther back:

I found out about spacers a little after the fact, just goes to show I should have gotten a second opinion when I started getting these framed. Thanks for the help, peacedog! Your knowledge is appreciated!
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur

Return to Framing Corner