All things Spotlight Displays

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Hello, my name is Robert Perry and I am the owner of Spotlight Displays. I first want to thank Wonkabars7 for the kind words and for passing the word about SD. It really means a lot!!!

And Thank You to the other past customers that have posted, I am glad that you are happy with your frames. I truly appreciate you passing the word as well!!!

I also want to thank all my current customers that have just purchased frames. Your business means everything to me as does your satisfaction!!! Integrity is EVERYTHING to me!!!! I want you to be happy with your frames and I will do everything to make sure that happens!!!!

I'm going to try and clear some things up for some people. The overlays are Acid Free and UV Protective. These overlays are .020" thick. I have had posters in my frames, some for going on 15 years with NO ill effects. These overlay do not gas, leach or do anything else that could harm your prints. Having the print against the overlay does nothing to it. With glass the print could stick to it, that is not the case with these overlays. I am a collector as well and would never try and mislead anyone. As I said, Integrity is everything to me.

As far as the UV Protection, that is a debate that I will not get into because I am not an expert on it. There are a lot of people that think they are, but really don't know anything about it. This is why I made a video which you can see on my Website that shows that our overlays do in fact have UV protection, it is not 100% but there is protection. I have posters in frames in my house that receive Direct and indirect Sun light for parts of the day for the past 7 years or so and have not had any signs of fading on any of my Posters. Now if I took a microscope picture of the poster before and after the 7 years, maybe there is some fading, but I don't see it with the naked eye.

That being said, I would never advise anyone to ever place a poster or print in Direct Sunlight for any amount of time.

The really great thing about these frames is you can rotate your posters out often enough with ease that you wont ever have to worry about any fading anyway. I currently have 9 prints in one frame. All I do is open the left and top sides of the frame, get a good pinch of the back and front overlays which have the prints in between, unsnap the bottom and right side and take the prints to a table. I then take the top overlay off and set it aside. Then I find the print I want displayed, or put the new print that I just got in the mail on top, place the overlay back on top. Pinch it together and take the prints back over to the frame, put them in the frame and start closing the sides. And the frames are so lightweight yet are made of such high quality Aluminum. You will se when you get the frames that I am not blowing smoke. These are the highest quality aluminum frames out there. But again so light weight that all I use to hang my frames is two nails.

Rolled Prints:
When I get a new print, its rolled. What I do is lay it on top of my prints on the table(back overlay is on the bottom of the print pile, frame is on the wall), or if the frame I am putting the new print in doesn't have any prints yet, I lay the print down on the back overlay, then I use the front overlay to unroll the print. This could be dangerous because there is a chance that you could scratch the print with the corner of the overlay, but I have never had that problem.

If anyone has any questions you can always email me.

Thank you again to everyone!!! I really appreciate everything!!!
bert
Art Expert

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Robert - when are you going to start shipping to the UK please? :)
BradWI
Art Enthusiast

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Add me to the list of satisfied SD customers. Over a dozen frames throughout the house in various sizes.
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:43 pm

Thank you Brad!!!

And Bert, man I wish we could ship to the UK but the shipping is so outrageous! It cost more than the frame to have one shipped over to you guys.
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:47 pm

SpotlightDisplays wrote:Thank you Brad!!!

And Bert, man I wish we could ship to the UK but the shipping is so outrageous! It cost more than the frame to have one shipped over to you guys.
Robert, while we have you here, recently acquired a 4' x 6' bus shelter print.

You reckon frame and plexi alone is strong enough to hold it up or it would need some center bracing with your design?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:52 pm

And guys, if you get a chance, check out my Facebook Page for SD. I just put up the new Mondo Tom and Jerry I just received. The print is really nice!!! https://www.facebook.com/SpotlightDisplays

And if you are on Facebook, it would be greatly appreciated if you liked my page. And post Picture of your prints framed.

Thanks again guys!!!
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:05 pm

rubberneck wrote:

You reckon frame and plexi alone is strong enough to hold it up or it would need some center bracing with your design?
Hey Rubberneck, not a problem at all. I have done a lot of 3 sheets with no problems. 6 sheets usually need some extra foam core backing. Check out my Facebook and Pinterest pages and you will see large format frames. A customer of mine actually did a show using our frames and had 3 sheets, bus shelter posters and other large posters. the picture are on the FB Page.

The only limitations we have is the overlay sizes. We can only cut overlays up to size 48" x 96", so for something like an 81" x 81" frame, you would need two 41" x 81" overlays. Then you have the problem with the seam which some people don't mind. and sometimes we cut them so it runs along the fold line.

Hope this helps!
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:08 pm

jlewis6159 wrote:Damn, all of Wonka's pics are nice but that Bresson is no joke.

My own spotlight display.
Very nice!!! Thanks for posting J!
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:11 pm

SpotlightDisplays wrote:
rubberneck wrote:

Hey Rubberneck, not a problem at all. I have done a lot of 3 sheets with no problems. 6 sheets usually need some extra foam core backing. Check out my Facebook and Pinterest pages and you will see large format frames. A customer of mine actually did a show using our frames and had 3 sheets, bus shelter posters and other large posters. the picture are on the FB Page.

The only limitations we have is the overlay sizes. We can only cut overlays up to size 48" x 96", so for something like an 81" x 81" frame, you would need two 41" x 81" overlays. Then you have the problem with the seam which some people don't mind. and sometimes we cut them so it runs along the fold line.

Hope this helps!
:thumb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:14 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Thought it appropriate to have a singular place to discuss Spotlight Displays as well as share pics of them up on the wall.

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/

To summarize what was shared in the Mondo thread:

It is my feeling that using these frames are the best way to display and protect your posters (cannot beat the price either), especially if you want the freedom to rotate prints in and out. This frame is designed for just that with all four sides of the frame literally flipping or snapping open/out. Takes a few seconds to switch prints out.

Frames come in large and small thickness ( 4" or 1"). The new white stock that is offered currently only comes in small (scroll for pic).

Each overlay has a glossy and matte side. I have found this useful for different frames depending on the room and the light it gets. Think of the glossy as having more of a true glass look, and the matte looks more like a UV free glass sans glare.

Robert (the owner) has each order custom cut to exact dimensions. In finalizing an order, I highly recommend adding on a couple 16ths of an inch on either diameter just to be safe and to allow the print enough room. Also, say you want to get a 24x36 frame for your Mondos to swap in and out. I would measure all the ones you plan on using and find the biggest one (since none or most of them aren't a true 24x36"), then add a tad more room on each side. Each overlay sits in a groove that is roughly less than an inch, so there will be enough room for the overlay to sit and be comfortable.

And no, I am not a rep for SD. I just have ordered from Robert over the years as he is vocal on the All Poster Forum (mostly vintage poster talk), and has posted several pics and vids there.

Anywho, took a few quick photos of the SDs that we currently have in the house:

First one I bought, probably 5-6 years ago. 47x63" frame for my large vintage French posters. First couple pics were on Mondo thread the other day:

This is what has been in there the past several months (sorry for the glare, bad time to take pics). Great film, if you haven't seen it:

Shot of the bottom of the frame flipped open. You can see where the overlay ends and how I got it a tad bigger than actual large French paper. My finger should help with scale in showing the large frame.
Also note I have girl hands.

This is the white frame (small) we have for the Italian 2 Foglios (55x77") I have restored on linen which I wanted to display. I initially thought the small frame would look weird on such a big piece, but I think it looks great with the white wall and the white edge from the linen the piece is restored on (had rips, holes, folds as sent to the theater) and was originally printed in two sections.

Same small white frame stock, but for my US Three Sheets (41x84"). FYI - The extra room at the bottom where you can see the gap where the poster isn't as big as the frame is because when they printed the Psycho three sheet in 1960, the dimensions were shorter that dimension than the standard size...no one knows why. This one we don't have mounted on the wall as I don't think it needs it, but you can see how they don't necessarily need the mounting...even at a size this big.

Detail of the small white frame stock.

Good depiction of scale here too, with poster border, linen border, and frame. Crease is obvs where it separates for the sides to open.

Curious what folks think who ordered them...post pics!
Wonka!!! Your posters are awesome!!! That Stano is Amazing!!! On the Psycho, I can send you two side pieces and you can cut the overlays down so it will fit Wonka?
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:16 pm

rubberneck wrote:As per Mondo thread...
rubberneck wrote:
aivc wrote:So about those spotlight frames, really tempted to pull the trigger right now. For those of you who are using them, do you just sandwich the poster between the two overlays, no mat or spacers ? I've been indoctrinated for all these years to always keep the glass/plexiglass/plastic away from the inks, but maybe I'm wrong.

Edit : drymount it I'll be a couple. recommendation between thin and wide border ?
Blade Runner 30x40 quad in one of their 'wide border' frames, sandwiched between two layers of plastic.

You have to assemble the frame but it's straightforward. I was happy with finishing and shipping/delivery. It's very lightweight and easy to wall mount.

It's reasonably decent as an anti-glare type plastic protecting the print.

british-quad-poster-frame British Quad Poster Frame 30x40 Standard 1 $89.95
colors: black
Shipping: FEDEX GROUND:
Sales Tax:
Total: $9.95
$0.00
$99.90
Definitely a good design and a great way to get larger prints on the wall while minimizing weight.
Very nice clean looking poster!!!
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:22 pm

rubberneck wrote:

My two white frames pictured are both bigger than bus shelter size, so you will be more than ok.

Fallen posted a few pics of his SD bus shelters back in the Mondo thread the other day, I will try to dig them up and repost here.
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Whats the difference between the "Front Loading Movie Poster Frames" and "Art and Print Frames" other than size?

Also do you happen to ever run bulk specials, Free Shipping or discounts over a certain order size?

These are awesome.
Last edited by ffactoryxx on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi Robert, glad you made your way here and that folks are taking you up on your frames!

That Psycho three sheet is just one piece overlay, and its great! The Italian frame is two, and people only notice the crease/separation from the two pieces when I point it out.
For most if not all folks here, that is irrelevant since the prints here are much, much smaller.

---

Also, to everyone, I made a mistake in my initial post...the large frame width is 2.5" whereas the small frame is 1.25" wide. Sorry if there was any confusion.
As pictured, I have both, and both are great so I wouldn't sweat or over think that regard of an order.
Mapman
Art Expert

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Hey Robert, I see you are located in Naperville, do you have a store front or a place someone can pick up in person to save on shipping?