All things Spotlight Displays

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:09 am

I thought the same thing. If I went this route, I'd likely use felt strips on the frame as a buffer in between the two.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:10 am

MJGallicchio wrote:I thought the same thing. If I went this route, I'd likely use felt strips on the frame as a buffer in between the two.
That could work. Plus the print would rest on the inner lip of frame so there would be very little pressure on the print itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:32 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Really loving these. So easy to use and look great too. Will definitely be buying more

First, those look great; second, a question: since you aren't using mattes with these, are the prints just pressed up against the plexi (or is it glass)? Or are you using spacers or something in the frame.

These seem like the best middle ground between custom-framing and off the rack frames, but I'm just a little unclear about how they "mount" into the frames.

If this is all already in this thread, let me know, and sorry for the repeat question.
glenn1
Art Expert

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:53 pm

hunterjax wrote:First, those look great; second, a question: since you aren't using mattes with these, are the prints just pressed up against the plexi (or is it glass)? Or are you using spacers or something in the frame.

These seem like the best middle ground between custom-framing and off the rack frames, but I'm just a little unclear about how they "mount" into the frames.

If this is all already in this thread, let me know, and sorry for the repeat question.
There is a thin plastic sheet that presses directly to the print. It's not glass, and no spacers are used.

You don't have to go through the whole thread, but the first three pages might answer some of your questions.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:02 pm

thanks Glenn - appreciate it.
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:02 pm

hunterjax wrote:thanks Glenn - appreciate it.
Check out the website as well, there are videos re the frames. I believe people also typically rotate the prints, which should help with any concerns.
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:40 pm

hunterjax wrote: First, those look great; second, a question: since you aren't using mattes with these, are the prints just pressed up against the plexi (or is it glass)? Or are you using spacers or something in the frame.

Think of it as putting a print in an acid-free/conservation sleeve for a flat file but instead its clamped against the wall.
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 am

This week:

hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:37 am

wonkabars7 wrote:
hunterjax wrote: First, those look great; second, a question: since you aren't using mattes with these, are the prints just pressed up against the plexi (or is it glass)? Or are you using spacers or something in the frame.

Think of it as putting a print in an acid-free/conservation sleeve for a flat file but instead its clamped against the wall.
thanks, went back and read the first 4-5 pages and I "get" it now. Will check out the videos on the site too.

They look really sharp. Just need to plan out what I want now!

thanks all, much appreciated.

:cheers:
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Got my frames up, very happy with them! The installation was pretty easy, but I took my time and made sure they were exactly where I wanted them. I'm not exactly a handyman, but I'm stoked with how they look. These are in my hallway, so I have to post two pictures since I couldn't get all the prints in one shot very well. Breaking in the frames with four Matt Ryan Tobin pieces.

chisoxcollector
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:18 pm

I love seeing these frameups! I just ordered 4 more frames... time to get some Stouts on the wall!
b3b0p

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:20 pm

I have about 2 dozen or more to flatten still, but I wanted to try out my frames. So here is my current line up.

Quick question, can I place multiple pictures in the frames? Do I need to worry about ink bleed?
agr719
Art Expert

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:57 pm

I've got two or three prints in each of mine right now, and nothing has ever stuck to anything else. I think as long as it's not super hot/humid in your house all the time, you should be good.
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
chisoxcollector
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Finally got some Stouts on the wall!
IMG_0183.JPG
chrisjuniper
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Just picked up a 24x36 a couple weeks ago to toss my GOTG Florey in, looks fantastic. I could custom frame all my pieces, but the money that would cost just doesn't vibe with me. The prices on these spotlights are honestly perfect. I also like mounting them flush to the wall, my cats love knocking things off my walls and now they can't :D . Just got a custom sized one from Fedex this AM for my Horkey FOTR, if it looks as good as I expect it to, the other two in the series will get the same treatment.

Being able to swap out prints at my leisure without any effort at all is a revelation. I get bored with things very easily and am constantly reorganizing my collection, spotlight displays are perfect for someone like me.