All things Spotlight Displays

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:16 pm

Thought it appropriate to have a singular place to discuss Spotlight Displays as well as share pics of them up on the wall.

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/

To summarize what was shared in the Mondo thread:

It is my feeling that using these frames are the best way to display and protect your posters (cannot beat the price either), especially if you want the freedom to rotate prints in and out. This frame is designed for just that with all four sides of the frame literally flipping or snapping open/out. Takes a few seconds to switch prints out.

Frames come in large and small thickness (EDIT-- 2.5" or 1.25"). The new white stock that is offered currently only comes in small (scroll for pic).

Each overlay has a glossy and matte side. I have found this useful for different frames depending on the room and the light it gets. Think of the glossy as having more of a true glass look, and the matte looks more like a UV free glass sans glare.

Robert (the owner) has each order custom cut to exact dimensions. In finalizing an order, I highly recommend adding on a couple 16ths of an inch on either diameter just to be safe and to allow the print enough room. Also, say you want to get a 24x36 frame for your Mondos to swap in and out. I would measure all the ones you plan on using and find the biggest one (since none or most of them aren't a true 24x36"), then add a tad more room on each side. Each overlay sits in a groove that is roughly less than an inch, so there will be enough room for the overlay to sit and be comfortable.

And no, I am not a rep for SD. I just have ordered from Robert over the years as he is vocal on the All Poster Forum (mostly vintage poster talk), and has posted several pics and vids there.

Anywho, took a few quick photos of the SDs that we currently have in the house:

First one I bought, probably 5-6 years ago. 47x63" frame for my large vintage French posters. First couple pics were on Mondo thread the other day:

This is what has been in there the past several months (sorry for the glare, bad time to take pics). Great film, if you haven't seen it:

Shot of the bottom of the frame flipped open. You can see where the overlay ends and how I got it a tad bigger than actual large French paper. My finger should help with scale in showing the large frame.
Also note I have girl hands.

This is the white frame (small) we have for the Italian 2 Foglios (55x77") I have restored on linen which I wanted to display. I initially thought the small frame would look weird on such a big piece, but I think it looks great with the white wall and the white edge from the linen the piece is restored on (had rips, holes, folds as sent to the theater) and was originally printed in two sections.

Same small white frame stock, but for my US Three Sheets (41x84"). FYI - The extra room at the bottom where you can see the gap where the poster isn't as big as the frame is because when they printed the Psycho three sheet in 1960, the dimensions were shorter that dimension than the standard size...no one knows why. This one we don't have mounted on the wall as I don't think it needs it, but you can see how they don't necessarily need the mounting...even at a size this big.

Detail of the small white frame stock.

Good depiction of scale here too, with poster border, linen border, and frame. Crease is obvs where it separates for the sides to open.

Curious what folks think who ordered them...post pics!
Last edited by wonkabars7 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:21 pm

As per Mondo thread...
rubberneck wrote:
aivc wrote:So about those spotlight frames, really tempted to pull the trigger right now. For those of you who are using them, do you just sandwich the poster between the two overlays, no mat or spacers ? I've been indoctrinated for all these years to always keep the glass/plexiglass/plastic away from the inks, but maybe I'm wrong.

Edit : drymount it I'll be a couple. recommendation between thin and wide border ?
Blade Runner 30x40 quad in one of their 'wide border' frames, sandwiched between two layers of plastic.

You have to assemble the frame but it's straightforward. I was happy with finishing and shipping/delivery. It's very lightweight and easy to wall mount.

It's reasonably decent as an anti-glare type plastic protecting the print.

british-quad-poster-frame British Quad Poster Frame 30x40 Standard 1 $89.95
colors: black
Shipping: FEDEX GROUND:
Sales Tax:
Total: $9.95
$0.00
$99.90
Definitely a good design and a great way to get larger prints on the wall while minimizing weight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Is that quad poster on a wall or leaning on a shelf, etc?

Do you have other quads you throw in there?

Looks great.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:29 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Is that quad poster on a wall or leaning on a shelf, etc?

Looks great.

That was it after I just assembled. I have it at the top of stairs with a spot light above it. I'll post a pic next time I remember.

I love the Quad composition and size and collect them when I'm not going after silkscreen posters. My goal is to get rolled (not folded) Quads as much as possible.

Prior to discovering Spotlights Displays I was concerned about weight for framing Quads but this designed impressed and is much lighter than some of my 24x36 prints with glass.

Link for those interested: http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/britis ... frame.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
aivc
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Will definitely post pictures when I receive my set ! Thanks wonka for bringing them up, and thanks Robert for the great service.
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:46 pm

rubberneck wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:Is that quad poster on a wall or leaning on a shelf, etc?

Looks great.

That was it after I just assembled. I have it at the top of stairs with a spot light above it. I'll post a pic next time I remember.

I love the Quad composition and size and collect them when I'm not going after silkscreen posters. My goal is to get rolled (not folded) Quads as much as possible.

Prior to discovering Spotlights Displays I was concerned about weight for framing Quads but this designed impressed and is much lighter than some of my 24x36 prints with glass.

Link for those interested: http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/britis ... frame.html
Gotcha. I had a ton of quads, sent a bunch over to eMovie for consignment a few years back. Curious what you have...
I would say my best ones are an original Thunderball and Star Wars, but both need restoration.

Yes, the lightness on these is another thing I really dig, and makes me feel at ease when displaying/hanging stuff that is valuable and what I paid loot for. Peace of mind.
aivc wrote:Will definitely post pictures when I receive my set ! Thanks wonka for bringing them up, and thanks Robert for the great service.
Glad to help, looking forward to the pics! What sizes did you go for?
kannibaliztik
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:03 pm

SUB'd
"We can hold out through this endless dark, all a fire needs is a single spark"
aivc
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Just went for a trio of thin black 24x36 to test out first.
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Oh man, I should totally try this with my Let The Right One In Quad!
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:43 pm

So how do you put the print in the frame? Does the print touch the glass or plexi?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 pm

Nice thread and pics :clap:

This one's so sexy
:drool:
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:20 pm

ffactoryxx wrote:So how do you put the print in the frame? Does the print touch the glass or plexi?
There isn't glass or plexi, but overlays (arguably classified as a thin plexi, but it can be rolled).

It is a sandwhich...overlay/print/overlay. The wall serves as an optional backing but you don't really need one as seen in the pics. The frame holds it all together perfectly.

@RA - thanks man!
jlewis6159
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Damn, all of Wonka's pics are nice but that Bresson is no joke.

My own spotlight display.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:31 pm

That Amelie is a fantastic poster, and the one to own on the title being country of origin and extra art not found on other issues.

Looks great!
HisBobness
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:35 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:That Amelie is a fantastic poster, and the one to own on the title being country of origin and extra art not found on other issues.

Looks great!
Nice print! Great movie, too!