Framers in Houston

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby CoA on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:01 pm

After searching on the forum for framers in Houston, I came up mostly blank except for a couple of small mentions in other threads. So I thought it would be worth starting a thread of people's recommendations for the Houston area.

A friend is looking to frame several prints, a couple of which are quite valuable. He's going to have them floated, so will need a place that knows what they're doing - Japanese hinges, spacers, archival materials and so on.

So, if anyone has some good recommendations for the Houston that would be excellent. If suggesting a generic store (eg Hobby Lobby etc), it would be great if you could name the person you deal with, as that's an important factor for these stores.

Cheers
CoA
Art Connoisseur

Postby Billycane696 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:03 pm

This was a great idea, I've been collecting for a while now but haven't even framed my first print (professionally that is). I've been looking for some good recommendations for a custom framing shop
Billycane696
Art Connoisseur

Postby CoA on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:47 am

A few suggestions from FramerDave:

Hollywood Frame Gallery on Bissonnet in the West U area
Bradley's Art & Frame on Blalock off 10 just outside 610
Dramatika Custom Framing in the Heights
CoA
Art Connoisseur

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Next place I'm going to give a shot to is Dramatika, just need to figure out which print I'm going to do there.
"The Great Frame Up" is popular, has a couple locations (I've heard great things about the Cypress location particularly)
K's Art & Framing in Webster/Clear Lake
Heritage Custom Framing near the Galleria
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby brettlv5506 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:17 pm

I use Red Barn Picture Framing (9850 S Highway 6 Sugar Land)
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby rubberneck on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:00 am

Floated and Framed:

http://www.completepicturesinc.com/

Had a smudged mat on pick up, store apologized and replaced promptly.

Happy with service. Reasonable prices.

http://www.villageframegallery.com/

Love these guys and my go-to framer these days.

Very helpful and professional but also great service. Used to live nearby but still travel over there such is their service.
rubberneck
Art God

Postby Billycane696 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 pm

I've been collecting for a little over a year now and have yet to get my first pro frame-up done. Someone recommended village framing in particular. Would you have a guess on framing costs for a 24x36, double mat? Just trying to get a good idea of what to expect from them.
Billycane696
Art Connoisseur

Postby mike123230 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:40 pm

rubberneck wrote:
http://www.villageframegallery.com/

Love these guys and my go-to framer these days.

Very helpful and professional but also great service. Used to live nearby but still travel over there such is their service.

Gotten a few things done there. They were super nice and helpful...but they're the only place in Houston I've ever used (since I grew up and learned that Michael's and the like are complete and utter garbage). Just curious as to how their prices compare to other shops around town?
mike123230
Art Expert

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Dunno, I always just assume that frame + mat + museum glass for a 24x36 is going to cost around 250-350. That just seems to be common place, depending on how elaborate you go, but it's what's in my head as soon as I walk into a frame shop. Granted, I haven't gotten anything professionally framed for several months now, mostly just doing stuff myself when possible. Plan on taking a piece in to one of these spots (probably Dramatika) but I just haven't had the time or money, too busy buying more prints. Guess I need to break from buying and go on a framing focus for a bit.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Billycane696 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Asked a local FB group for some recommendations, here's what I got:

Davis Hardware
Frame Crafters
Cunningham Framing
Heritage Custom Framing
Morningside Art
Pictures Plus

I know one or more of these were already listed, but give us some feedback if you've used one of them before
Billycane696
Art Connoisseur

Postby mike123230 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Just had a pretty incredible experience at Village Frame Gallery. Worked with Amy, who was knowledgeable, professional and SUPER helpful.
mike123230
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:59 pm

mike123230 wrote:Just had a pretty incredible experience at Village Frame Gallery. Worked with Amy, who was knowledgeable, professional and SUPER helpful.

They are great eh?

I used to live just down the street from them, great selection and very hands on where needed.
rubberneck
Art God

Postby mike123230 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:04 pm

rubberneck wrote:
mike123230 wrote:Just had a pretty incredible experience at Village Frame Gallery. Worked with Amy, who was knowledgeable, professional and SUPER helpful.

They are great eh?

I used to live just down the street from them, great selection and very hands on where needed.

I've had hit or miss experiences there. I had to come up with the framing ideas one of the other times we went, which was fine, but I have no idea what I'm doing and was hoping to have someone to bounce ideas off of. This time, Amy recognized the artists and had some great ideas.

Do you remember who you worked with there?

Do they ever have coupons? I just dropped a mortgage payment on getting 6 prints framed.
mike123230
Art Expert

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:42 pm

My concern with village frame was if I wanted a print to have spacers and no mats, they said they would drymount it because that's best for the print. I just said no thanks and framed myself with spacers, no biggie but just caught me off guard
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby mike123230 on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:20 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:My concern with village frame was if I wanted a print to have spacers and no mats, they said they would drymount it because that's best for the print. I just said no thanks and framed myself with spacers, no biggie but just caught me off guard

Weird. You remember who you dealt with?
mike123230
Art Expert

Next

Return to Framing Corner