Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
FreeTheWestMemphis3
Art Expert

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:52 pm

mcgraw23 wrote:
beerotan wrote:
Poeschel55 wrote:Cheapest place to buy UV/non-glare...anyone?

22x28 through 24x36 in size
Glass or plexi? I've been buying all my museum glass from Hobby Lobby these days, you can use their 40% off coupons on it. I've taken a stealth photo of the price sheet if anyone wants to see it. No guarantees it's still accurate, took it 3-4 months ago.
40% coupon is applicable to the above prices.
Prices are still the same. Was at HL today to grab some 50% off frames.
ErocAfellar wrote:Repubs don't want to cut government spending. They just want to cut government spending on things they don't agree with.
FreeTheWestMemphis3
Art Expert

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:52 am

I went to AC Moore to pick up a portfolio on the cheap with a 50% off coupon...

Talked to the framing lady, an 18x24 cut of Museum Glass is $61.32 which includes a 60% off discount.
ErocAfellar wrote:Repubs don't want to cut government spending. They just want to cut government spending on things they don't agree with.
peacedog
Art Expert

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:19 pm

iambillyg wrote:
peacedog wrote:
iambillyg wrote:A lot of people worry that museum glass will not allow the prints to charge, but it's not the case.
I have demonstrated several times that glow is definitely effected by the UV coating on glass. While it will not stop the print for glowing, the effect is definitely lessened. There's a thread with pics around here somewhere....
Ah. The only GID prints I have, that are framed, have been from Dan. Not sure if it's his printing methods, but the prints seem to get a good charge, even behind museum and without a direct light source on it. Could have a different effect on other GID prints, I suppose.

Leary, I'd definitely trust Corey's expertise on this. :notworthy:
I dug these up today for a little refresher. Conservation Clear 99%UV glass over the left half, nothing on the right.

GID activated with a camera flash...

with 20 seconds of a halogen spotlight...

with blacklight.

The following demonstrate the regular glass on the left, a strip of no glass down the center, and UV glass on the right.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... k&start=15
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 pm

mcgraw23 wrote:
cmatthews11 wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for some basic 12x24" black frames (preferably wood)?
Hobby Lobby has some decent ones you can get 50% off every other week. You'll have to put in your own glass/backing/spacers, etc. but they're pretty good looking ones for <$20
No luck at my closest Hobby Lobby. Any other recommendations?
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:55 am

Soooo within a few months I plan on sending some stuff out. For sure using Corey/Furthur Frames again since the whole ordeal was amazing and he was very patient with me and of course did an amazing job.

Was thinking about going with a beautiful handmade wood frame for an OG and am teetering on using/trying another framer for it. I follow Trinity Framing on Instagram and have loved their stuff. Any other suggestions? Any idea if any would entertain the idea of me providing my own frame that they provide the dimensions? I have access to beautiful pieces of english walnut, birdseye maple, cherry, etc that I would love to use and have made a few frames before for my prints (although do need to add spacers on them (mostly $100 or less prints, but still want to try). Might just send it all to Furthur Frames, just was curious on some opinions.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 pm

cmatthews11 wrote:
mcgraw23 wrote:
cmatthews11 wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for some basic 12x24" black frames (preferably wood)?
Hobby Lobby has some decent ones you can get 50% off every other week. You'll have to put in your own glass/backing/spacers, etc. but they're pretty good looking ones for <$20
No luck at my closest Hobby Lobby. Any other recommendations?
I don't know of many others in-store other than Michael's and Aaron Bros.. Frame Destination, American Frame, etc. seem to have some decent stuff.. Might try Jerry's Artarama too.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
durfle
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:56 pm

has anyone had any experience hanging frames on an inverted wall? that is it slopes so that the portion by your head is closer than the portion by your feet. My loft space is basically a 360 degree wall angled inwards about 20-30 degrees. I might be able to get away with just using typical hangers with a little extra bend put into the hook, but wondering if anyone knows of a better way to do it.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:34 pm

durfle wrote:has anyone had any experience hanging frames on an inverted wall? that is it slopes so that the portion by your head is closer than the portion by your feet. My loft space is basically a 360 degree wall angled inwards about 20-30 degrees. I might be able to get away with just using typical hangers with a little extra bend put into the hook, but wondering if anyone knows of a better way to do it.
I'm thinking about something similar for our bedroom... I'll probably use typical wire and then use some of the 3M velcro strips attached to the wall and frame on the bottom to help keep them in place... but I don't plan on putting up anything over 18x24"
peacedog
Art Expert

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:11 pm

Use security hangers like they use in restaurants to keep people from stealing stuff. Three plates attached to the back of your frame, two at the top and one centered at the bottom. Two tabs are attached to the wall, the two upper plates slip onto those and then it's locked onto the wall at the bottom with a T-bolt and security wrench that reaches behind the frame to turn it. You should be be able to pick up the hardware for either wood or metal frames at your local frameshop. Don't forget the security wrench, it's a real pain without it.
durfle
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:40 am

peacedog wrote:Use security hangers like they use in restaurants to keep people from stealing stuff. Three plates attached to the back of your frame, two at the top and one centered at the bottom. Two tabs are attached to the wall, the two upper plates slip onto those and then it's locked onto the wall at the bottom with a T-bolt and security wrench that reaches behind the frame to turn it. You should be be able to pick up the hardware for either wood or metal frames at your local frameshop. Don't forget the security wrench, it's a real pain without it.
Awesome. Will definitely see if I can track some of those down, that's the kind of thing I had in mind.
Joesunday
Art Expert

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:00 pm

This little v nail driver works very well, cheaper alternative to a press.
I have used it on maple and pine, have not tested on a hard wood yet.

eBay 330719936756
cthang
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:51 pm

Hey there,
So I just got six prints back from the framer, and I really like how they turned out except for one. I'm not sure if it's just me being anal, but the mats are a little uneven on one of the prints (about 1/6" off comparing the left side and right). I don't think most people would notice it, but I pretty much caught it instantly when I got home. I understand it can't be perfect, but how unreasonable would it be for me to ask him to even it out???
FreeTheWestMemphis3
Art Expert

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:40 pm

cthang wrote:Hey there,
So I just got six prints back from the framer, and I really like how they turned out except for one. I'm not sure if it's just me being anal, but the mats are a little uneven on one of the prints (about 1/6" off comparing the left side and right). I don't think most people would notice it, but I pretty much caught it instantly when I got home. I understand it can't be perfect, but how unreasonable would it be for me to ask him to even it out???
Not unreasonable at all. I would bring it back. If he can not rectify the issue, find a new framer.
cthang
Art Enthusiast

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:31 pm

I'd also like to get yalls opinion on this. Two of the prints I had framed weren't exactly the same dimensions. Initially I thought they were going to go up side by side so the framer suggested having the frames be the same size, but that would make the mats on one print uneven with the top and bottoms being larger than the sides.

So, I put them on my wall and decide to place them vertically, one above the other, rather than side by side. My question is, do yall think I should even out the matting on the lower print so that they're all equal? The widths of the two frames would be the same, it would just make the lower print a little shorter...
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:43 pm

I am not a fan of non matching mat widths when it comes to framing. Some people do it to fit a standard size frame to save money. It draws your eye out from the image which is the exact opposite thing it's supposed to do and it just looks off. If it bothers you I'd change it because you'll prob just focus on it.