Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:34 pm

This has the potential to fail, but I've always thought that it would be good to have a sole thread for framing advice and assistance from fellow members, as opposed to individuals creating several threads with questions/concerns about spacers, mats, cutters, tape, glass, etc.

Feel free to ask any and all framing questions in this thread.

Additionally, if you have advice, promo codes for discounts, incredible resource websites, etc., post it and help your fellow collector.

- - -

To kick things off with a question: Does anyone have a resource for ordering quality mats online? I have a few pieces that I want to frame up myself, but I'd like to frame them with fabric-wrapped mats, however, I'm not sure if these can be ordered online already made/cut.

Cheers.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:54 am

I'm curious about this too. You could check with this guy out here in LA -- I've never used him and frankly, his website isn't very forthcoming about prices and quantities which is never a good sign, but it might be worth an email:

http://www.franksfabrics.com/custom.asp

I've searched high and low for a good online mat source and have yet to find one. The problem I run into is that the shipping costs for mats tends to get prohibitively expensive fast due to oversize fees. If you're ordering a frame kit or a bunch of components, then that cost may be worth it, but unless you're ordering a ton of mats, it's cheaper to source locally. That said, Billy, have you tried your local framers to see if they'll cut and wrap mats for you? Many will. I also know that both Aaron Bros and Michael's will custom cut/ custom make nearly any individual component for you (except, oddly enough, the frames themselves). I don't know if they can do fabric-wrapped mats (never asked) but it might be worth a shot. Their custom mats tend to be pretty overpriced, but on more than one occasion with me they've accepted their 60% framing coupon for just mat work (they're not supposed to, but occasionally you get lucky).
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:43 am

Appreciate the response.

I haven't checked at local framers, but I would imagine the cost may be quite high as well. And, with ordering online, it seems to not be very cost effective to only order one mat at a time.

I'll definitely check around locally to see what places here have to offer.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Good idea for a thread Billy!

I had a question, I've framed some smaller end stuff myself and I'd like to try framing some of my bigger posters with mats (24x36). Is there a site like americanframe.com where you can order materials and preview how the art will look with the mat? AF only lets you order up to a certain size unfortunately.

Also when matting the bigger stuff, what's the best way to go about keeping the poster fastened to the backing board? I've used photo corners with the other stuff I framed, but figured with a bigger poster that might not be enough support.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:28 pm

I use AF's mock-up tool no matter where I purchase the items from. I believe that AF can ship some pretty big frames, but it's their mats, glazing, and backboards that are limited to 72 united inches (L+W). One solution may be to purchase the moulding from AF, and then source the rest of the stuff locally. For example, order an empty 30x40 frame, then go to Michael's and buy an acid-free foam core backing board for $4-11, order an oversize mat from your local framer or Aaron Bros/Michaels, and then order the glazing directly from evonik, which can ship acrylite up to 96" long, I believe (and at a pretty decent price too).

Frame Destination will let you order larger sizes that AF, I believe, although your mat styles and colors become limited over 30x40. Their oversize shipping fees get pricey fast, though -- I think it's $55 in addition to the actual shipping fee, and their occasional "free shipping" codes don't affect the oversize prices. But again, it's easy to mock up on AF, then find and order a similar frame/kit on FD.

I use Lineco strips to mount larger pieces. The largest piece I have framed is only 24x36, but the mounting strips work just fine for it. Since the strips are available in lengths up to 12", they'll probably work just fine for even really big pieces.

CHR1S
Art Expert

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:21 am

I purchase most of the frames I use both at home and at the museum where I work from Metropolitan Frames.
http://www.metroframe.com

You can get all sorts of framing advice on their site. They have tons of tutorials, videos, advice etc.
http://www.metroframe.com/framing-advice/
beerotan
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:07 pm

This is a little off topic for this forum, but as its where I've learned the entirety of my framing knowledge so far I'm not sure where else to ask: does anyone have some resources for framing textiles? I have a furoshiki (silk scarf-like textile, about 2' x 2') I want to put in a frame, but am unsure how to properly secure it to the mounting board. I can only come up with sewing it to another piece of fabric and then adhering that to the mouting board, but I'm concerned that would damage it. Anyone have any ideas or places they can point me to?

And thanks for the links, CHR1S, the wooden frames at Metroframes are gorgeous and I can see myself purchasing some in the future. Also, thanks for your thread on using hinges to mount art. I used your guide to float a couple Japanese woodblock prints recently and it was quite the success for a first attempt.
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:53 am

I'm looking at getting a print float mounted. But I'm a bit worried using any kind of tapes or adhesives. I know you need to use them to float mount a print. But I've always been worried that the glue will show through or the print will never be able to come away from the space mount. Has anyone had any experiences or problems with this kind of thing?
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:03 am

sfxdan wrote:I'm looking at getting a print float mounted. But I'm a bit worried using any kind of tapes or adhesives. I know you need to use them to float mount a print. But I've always been worried that the glue will show through or the print will never be able to come away from the space mount. Has anyone had any experiences or problems with this kind of thing?
CHR1S walks you through the whole process step-by-step in his thread:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 31&t=62429
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:14 am

misterwhisper wrote:
sfxdan wrote:I'm looking at getting a print float mounted. But I'm a bit worried using any kind of tapes or adhesives. I know you need to use them to float mount a print. But I've always been worried that the glue will show through or the print will never be able to come away from the space mount. Has anyone had any experiences or problems with this kind of thing?
CHR1S walks you through the whole process step-by-step in his thread:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 31&t=62429

thanks misterwhisper
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 am

And this is what happens when someone uses the wrong materials (glue): http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=125693
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
CrustaR
Art Expert

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:35 am

Anyone know where I can buy a wood grain fillet like this one?

pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
peacedog
Art Expert

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:50 am

CrustaR wrote:Anyone know where I can buy a wood grain fillet like this one?
There is no fillet in that piece. I think you're referring to the hand-wrapped striated silk mat. We wrapped that one.

:cheers:
Chenley123
Art Expert

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:37 pm

CrustaR
Art Expert

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:40 pm

peacedog wrote:
CrustaR wrote:Anyone know where I can buy a wood grain fillet like this one?
There is no fillet in that piece. I think you're referring to the hand-wrapped striated silk mat. We wrapped that one.

:cheers:
Oh, man, hardcore. Thanks for the reply. It's the best frame-up I have seen.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.